Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splitting floor pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting floor pans

Can anyone suggest or show how they split their floor panels. Why or why not and considerations? I am particularly interested on how to best do it on a Patrol for the panel in front of the pilot stick along with consideration to allow for easy(ier) removal of the fuel valve if necessary. Hope that's clear...thanks!

Dave from Maine

I split my 4-place floor panel recently, the one just in front of the stick. Until then it was a pain to install and remove. One day I had the angle grinder handy and simply cut it down the center line. Much easier to install now.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I split all my front seat floor panels along the centerline allowing easy access to stick mechanism, fuel system and brake lines.welded in additional tabs as required for support.

Comment

Mine was built with a plywood floor. Early in my ownership, I need to remove it for some upgrades. I had to strip everything out, starting with the ceiling. The interior is all panels. Even after having everything out, I had to fold that plywood just about in half to get it up "off the floor". I put the thing in a band saw and cut it front to rear. I then attached a thin plywood strip to the bottom of one side with T-nuts on the other side of the strip to joint the two floor halves. Now I can easily get the floor out one half at a time without starting at the ceiling. Most have aluminum floors where nut plates would replace my T-nuts.

Comment

Here is what I did with my model 5. Created a piece that is stationary below the stick and flap lever. From pieces are removable.
          EAABuildersLog.org is a airplane builders log website to store your projects on the web for free. The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.) provides this website for it's members for free..

Travis
          Travis M
          Kentucky
          Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
          Received December 2022

Comment

In two 4-Place cases I have made the piece from the main carry through forward non-removable. It goes under the stick, flap handle, fuel selector, and rudder pedals. The gascolator, fuel flow sensor, and in one case fuel pump all attach to it. This area is forward of the belly fabric, so any access has to be gained from the outside. The area under the front two seats is in two pieces because it has to go around the structure and the elevator cables. Then there are three pieces aft of that. One for each tube that goes across the fuselage. The aluminum bends easily enough to get into position. I removed the remaining plywood floors from N303AP after I got it. The are much less good in many ways.

Comment

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              That is exactly how I did it.

Appreciate the info everyone! Again, what is driving my line of query is the fact that I would have to lift the floor panel forward of the pilot stick to remove the fuel valve as the mounting is currently designed with my Quickbuild kit and the fuel valve standoff with lower plate. Good to know I can access from below for other items to service or replace. But...splitting that one forward floor panel would allow me to remove the fuel valve a bit easier than if it wasn't split...I think...

Cheers!

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              I just made them all easy to remove. Split them, and trim the outer edges to the apex of the longeron tubes does the trick.
          Working...
          X