Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk in the backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love winter flying and the new tires look fantastic.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Here's a few more holiday snaps... my kind of holiday!
      IMG_6867_zpsrlzqsotp.jpg

These snaps are from an overnight hunting trip with friends. Very cold out there in tents. We had extremely gusty conditions for our departure and flight home. The air looks clear, but rest assured there was feet of snow falling just on the other side of those mountains - and all the leftover winds were making aviation difficult.
      IMG_6894_zpspvrldsnn.jpg

Frosty mornings on a calmer day.
      IMG_6928_zpsm6hgltjr.jpg

IMG_6933_zpsqyryefbx.jpg

A few others out and about enjoying the calm days too!
      IMG_7001_zps2vexpnpb.jpg

Last edited by Battson; 09-14-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Another snap from the overnight trip.

IMG_6912_zps3homicmo.jpg
        We have to wait for the sun to warm the plane up a little above freezing, before trying to start the engine...
        Last edited by Battson; 09-15-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Here's some video which we put together during the holidays - enjoy!

The Bearhawk being put to use in the backcountry of New Zealand. I've focused this edit on the take off and landing, the exciting bits. Nothing beats seeing ...

Comment

• Brilliant, keep it coming Battson...
            http://www.mykitlog.com/yadama

Comment

• Wow, that's really nice video work...and flying of course!

Comment

• Hey Jono,

Is it just a video artifact or does your oil door lift up a bit under high power during take off? I was thinking of making my oil door hinged on the forward to prevent that kind of thing (and to prevent it from flying up vertical if the latch fails which happened to my buddy on his RV-8).
                -------------------
                Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
                RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• Battson
                  Battson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can't really see it moving with the naked eye, but one side effect of digital video is that vibration of the oil door gets slowed down and it looks much more obvious - which is undesirable. Much like the prop blur, it gets accentuated by the video.

I also think the problem is the vibration and flex in the cowl panel, more than air pressure. It moves too fast to be air pressure, and it doesn't move much in a dive at cruise power (high air pressure), it mostly happens at high engine RPM. I am not sure how much a different orientation would help, it's hard to say. The oil door is a relatively heavy weight right in the middle of a large, thin, flat, and thus flexible aluminium panel - so it vibrates. At full power, the whole aircraft gets pretty well shaken up by the relatively large engine, not just the cowl. I thought about a forward hinge, but with the curvature of the cowl means it's not so easy to get right.

I think a larger supporting doubler riveted onto the underside of the cowl, surrounding the door to stiffen it all up, would be the best solution. That is what I've seen on certified planes - although I've seen few certified birds with such a large, flat, unsupported aluminium cowl panel too - so maybe that was my mistake - not including any stiffeners. I also should have used a thicker piece of aluminium for the oil door itself, I think that was another mistake.
                  Last edited by Battson; 08-23-2016, 02:14 AM.

• Dave Roberts
                  Dave Roberts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have mine hinged in the front. It does the same as Battson's, only on the sides.

• Just to keep things ticking over during the quiet off-season, here's a photo from a hunting trip we took last fall... as I've said before, viewer discretion is advised.

These are wild Red Deer, stags. They are found basically all over New Zealand, although finding a wild pair with antlers as large as this is exceptionally rare - contrary to what those advertising hunting in NZ would lead you to believe. I was very happy to get both of these on a fly-in trip, bringing them out by aircraft was like a dream come true.

IMG_6335_zps2wggkpek.jpg
                Last edited by Battson; 09-15-2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Here's a few shots of NJB on the local riverbeds.

We've had a lot of rain and I was surprised to find the riverbeds in good order without a lot of driftwood. I spied a good space to land a long way up a small tributary, further up steam than I have been able to land before. This spot was a one-way landing, unless you wanted to fly in between trees in a very tight river bend to escape. As you can see from the tall trees in the photo. The bar was probably about 100m long, but I got slowed to walking pace within about 60m despite landing 10m deeper than I wanted and having a 5kt tailwind. I put that short ground roll down to the early flare and very "firm" landing, oops! At least I was going slow and stopped quickly. The new tires are very good at soaking up a big impact.

At the end of the one-way landing place.
                  IMG_20161001_131123_zpspbyqh6gu.jpg

Not a bad surface at this end, much worse at the far end.
                  IMG_20161001_131305_zpsjig3vk8x.jpg

The impact crater... lol. At least the big tires and Bearhawk L/G are forgiving - no bounce and no stones thrown into the tail (this time)!
                  IMG_20161001_131540_zpssrphy6za.jpg ​​​​​​​
                  Last edited by Battson; 09-07-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Another new spot, fitting for bushwheels!

Strictly one-way, about 230m long, and slightly uphill. Not a place you want to land with a tailwind, particularly when you're hauling a big load (note the cargo area is filled to the top). My copilot was off collecting some venison at the time, and we needed all the room we had to get out again. A lowish air pressure and very (very!) hot spring day made for 4000ft DA, which is considerable. DA makes a big difference.
                    IMG_7208_zpst8w3im1g.jpg
                    Last edited by Battson; 09-07-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• I don't see any pictures....and now I do. :-) must have been a server issue.
                      Last edited by Av8rPaul; 11-06-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Av8rPaul View Post
                        I don't see any pictures....and now I do. :-) must have been a server issue.
                        That's what happens to me all the time, but in my case, it's the result of a slow ISP. One of the downsides of living way out in the country is that the fiber-optic and cable-TV folks don't get to your "neighborhood"... Even wireless (Verizon/ATT/Sprint/etc.) don't work very well out here. Lucky to have 3mb DSL through the phone company. We went several years with an ISDN connection that netted 144 Kbps for downloads (yes, that's "K" bps). That was painful...
                        Jim Parker
                        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• awesome pics great countryside always wanted to visit NZ and look at the Lockheed 10A there being rebuilt.

Comment

• A few photos from summer, more to follow later...

The three and a half hour flight south with the family - they are clearly thrilled to be flying in the Bearhawk (this at 13,000ft so not much happening out the window).
                            IMG_20161225_131419_zpsdeum9pf2.jpg

Here's my brother acting like a jackass, we were up there hunting wild hares.
                            IMG_20161226_195550_zpscm4zsxk7.jpg

IMG_20161226_195614_zps040it3lr.jpg

This is my uncle, I took him on his first light aircraft joyride in 20 years. We landed by the river for a rest break.
                            IMG_20170103_105155_zpsd4ty77c5.jpg
                            Last edited by Battson; 09-07-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• That is some pretty countryside... And a nice airplane, as well.
                              Jim Parker
                              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
                              X