Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudder Cable Turnbuckle Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I figured you would need a little something there. It's pretty nose high. the 8's pedals are slightly sprung, they basically hold themselves up.
    David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

I tried to do it without turnbuckles to start with, but that proved very hard to do...

Making two cables exactly the right length without any room for adjustment wasn't as easy as I first thought.
      I created a lot of scrap cable trying to get it right.

Otherwise one pedal ends up closer than the other one, which is very annoying if you've got mild OCD like me

So it would have been cheaper for me just to use a turnbuckle right from the start!

Comment

I think you may have just been looking too close Even if the cable length varied by 1/4", which seems like a lot, I don't think I'd be able to notice 1/4" difference in pedal position. In flight the neutral position moves with power settings and speeds anyway.

Comment

Just wanted to add to this my reasoning for using turnbuckles on the rudder cables: It's for pedal positioning, not cable tension. I've been agonizing over the pedal positioning along the arc of rotation for ergonomic considerations, as well as the need to adjust the brake pedal clearance from the firewall. The pedal ergonomics in this situation require that you have your seats upholstered to position your body as it would be in flight, then adjust both your seat position along the track, and the pedal neutral position standoff from the firewall.

Turnbuckles can really only provide so much cable length adjustment, maybe what? 1/2"? But still, that could be important to get those pedals further back from the firewall if you pooch the cable length estimation during nicopressing, which I probably would.

Comment

How about making the cables a bit short, then make some links (4130) as adjustments? The links could be made in any length, lighter than turnbuckles and a heck of a lot less expensive.

Bill

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              In our QB kits, we provide pieces/strips of 4130 with several holes spaced for this purpose. This is per Bob's instructions to facilitate rudder cable installation without turnbuckles. However, I use the turnbuckles anyway just because they make the installation easy. Mark

• Bdflies
              Bdflies commented
              Editing a comment
              Wouldn't that be like wearing a belt AND suspenders?
              Just messin with you Mark...

Bill

The metal straps with multiple holes that come with the kit work pretty well and are much lighter than turnbuckles. I copied a design that Aeronca used that is a little easier to adjust.

IMG_1500_s.jpg .

Comment

Working...
            X