Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudder Cable Turnbuckle Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder Cable Turnbuckle Placement

Hey All... I was looking at a number of different photos of people's projects for turnbuckle placement on the rudder cables. Pat Fagan placed his right at the rudder pedals and I have found them at various places along the cable from the pedals back. Personally I would like them out of view but accessible. Anyone have some words of wisdom for placement? Thanks....

Ease of access but not visible would seem to lead to just behind the cargo area bulkhead. For mine, since I'm planning on a light engine/prop combo, I'll probably put them up front for cg purposes (small difference but it all adds up).

Comment

I put mine just behind the cargo area bulkhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
        I put mine just behind the cargo area bulkhead.

X2
        Same as Battson

Comment

I haven't found any need for rudder turnbuckles.

Comment

I put them on my Bearhawk 4-place, but never had a need to adjust them. I saved the weight and left them off my Patrol. Not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
            Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
            http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
              I haven't found any need for rudder turnbuckles.
              Makes sense now that I think about it, so much the better!

Comment

Ok. But how do you adjust the cable tension? Don't you need at least one?

Comment

You make the cable the correct length to hold the rudder peddles at the correct angle. The only tension in the system is created by the springs that hold the rudder pedals up, or by your feet on the rudder pedals. It's not a closed system like elsewhere. If you have turnbuckles and tighten them, the rudder pedals lean back more but the cable never gets and tighter.

Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
                  Bearhawk Manuals

Comment

See Eric's answer.

Comment

Cool. That was certainly a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious). Just saved me $100...thanks!

Comment

next time you're around an RV take a look. We don't t even use return springs on them. The rudders just sort of flop around on the ground when unattended. Works just fine in flight.
                        David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

I think that would creep me out a bit.

Comment

honestly, it works great. you really cant tell in flight and ground handling is easier do to slightly lighter pedal forces. plus its simpler to build.
                            David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

The rudder pedals on the Bearhawk have return springs because if they didn't the rudder pedals would fall to the floor when you get out. The rudder pedals lean back (toward the tail) and the springs hold them up until you can get in the airplane and put your feet on them.

Eric Newton
                              Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
                              Rugged Tailwheels for your experimental aircraft. Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC manufactures the original Bearhawk Tailwheel for bush flying.

Bearhawk Builder Manuals

Comment

Working...
                              X