Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed Trim Tab vs Servoed Trim Tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did change the cable at the tab to exit the bottom instead of the top of the horizontal stab

Comment

I bought Dan Riffee's project, and he had one of the earlier plan sets, with two elevator trim tabs. The work he did was excellent so I was hesitant to undo anything, however, when I rigged the controls with some temporary connections, I was surprised at the amount of servo action from the trim tabs. And it was not linear, changing from positive to negative servo action as the elevator is moved. As a result, I have removed the right-hand trim tab and am in the process of copying a Citabria's trim mechanism, which uses two control cables. I expect it to work very similar to Pat's.IMG_1771.JPG

Comment

Anyone know what kind of cable Pat used on his trim? I've been surfing around the Aircraft Spruce web site and can't find anything that resembles it. It kind of looks like Bowden cable with good quality threaded forks on the ends ....

Thanks
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Never mind, looks like I found it (or at least something VERY similar);

A-920 Push-Pull Control This control has 10-32 threaded ends with 8 degree swivel & 3-3/8

-------------------
          Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
          RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Pat used Morris control cables... Mcmaster-Carr is much cheaper than ACS. I don't have the part numbers on this iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Moyle
              Pat used Morris control cables... Mcmaster-Carr is much cheaper than ACS. I don't have the part numbers on this iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Thanks, Mark.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to get them from ACS. McMaster-Carr refuses to ship anything to Canada. Not sure why, maybe the cold ? :-)

-29C here at home this morning, -40C with the wind chill.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

-------------------
              Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
              RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I just got two 5 ft A-920 cables in the mail from ACS. If you fix one end from moving, the other end has 1/8" of play. That's fine for a throttle or carb heat, but I believe it's too loose for a trim tab and will invite flutter. I will be returning them.

Comment

Those cables will be just fine, I think. Easy for me to say, I know...

My trim tabs have plenty of free play, over 3/8s at the trailing edge of the tab from memory. Maybe a lot more. This causes no problems whatsoever, they are not inclined to flutter.

You could add friction to damp the system if you are really concerned.

Comment

My latest YouTube video on a modified elevator trim system similar to Pat Fagan's: https://youtu.be/zJiWSkgq8kI

Comment

Wow! You really step it up, Paul. Well executed, as always.
                      Christopher Owens
                      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Very nice AKBH! Certainly built to last. Thanks for making and sharing the video.
                        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Great job Paul!. I think this is a worthwhile mod but I don't have enough ambition to take it on. I did modify the original tabs to the smaller ones. My trim wheel is mounted on the floor next to the flap handle, seems more natural to me not to reach down for the flaps and then up for the trim wheel. Looks like you are making great progress.

Comment

That's some mighty fine work and well documented!

Bill

Comment

Has anyone thought about using the old style, longer trim tab but just installing it on the right elevator instead of both elevators? That way you would only need one cable. One thing that may need to be considered is the stress that it may impose where the two elevators bolt together. May have to run this idea by Bob.

Comment

• jaredyates
                                jaredyates commented
                                Editing a comment
                                We have talked in the past about even using one small trim tab, but I'm not sure if anyone ever got around to asking Bob about the twisting stresses. The number of cables is the same (1) with one or two tabs, but a single tab would save a pushrod and a couple of other pieces.

Has anyone installed a jack screw like the Pipers have that will adjust the stabilizer and just do away with the trip tabs?

Comment

Working...
                              X