Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim tab travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim tab travel

Can anybody tell me the travel for the trim tab on the elevator thanks Wes

It will vary depending on how you set the trim tab horns up. Usually the tabs don't need to move far, not more than 10-15 degrees, certainly that's the most nose down trim you would ever need. But at odd times you need a lot of nose up trim.

The highest trim deflection happens with a STOL landing configuration, with the plane dead-light. That needs about 70% up elevator, which takes quite a lot of trim travel - perhaps 25 or 30 degrees. Although it's easier not to trim the whole way, and just hold a little extra back pressure.
    When I am completely empty in this situation, landing as slow as possible, I run out of trim (and almost elevator) travel.
    Last edited by Battson; 11-17-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Battson;19167]It will vary depending on how you set the trim tab horns up. Usually the tabs don't need to move far, not more than 10-15 degrees, certainly that's the most nose down trim you would ever need. But at odd times you need a lot of nose up trim.

The highest trim deflection happens with a STOL landing configuration, with the plane dead-light. That needs about 70% up elevator, which takes quite a lot of trim travel - perhaps 25 or 30 degrees. Although it's easier not to trim the whole way, and just hold a little extra back pressure.
      When I am completely empty in this situation, landing as slow as possible, I run out of trim (and almost elevator) travel.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wes Helm Bearhawk 1209;19172]
        Originally posted by Battson
        It will vary depending on how you set the trim tab horns up. Usually the tabs don't need to move far, not more than 10-15 degrees, certainly that's the most nose down trim you would ever need. But at odd times you need a lot of nose up trim.

Thanks trying to make sure I had enough travel in my trim hinges

Comment

With the lighter engine, I see much less, approximately plus and minus 3/4" at the trailing edge.

Comment

How wide is each section of trim-tab-hinge supposed to be?

Comment

I am not by my planes to measure what we do at the kit factory, but will guestimate about 1.5". Could be a little less. Mark

Comment

The section of tube welded onto the tab is 3/4". The two sections welded onto the elevator are 3/8". That makes each hinge a total of 1.5" long.
                Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Just what I was looking for. Thnak you

Comment

Whee's picture brought up a thought; when covering the horizontal stabilizer and trim tabs, take great care to minimize layers at the interface of these components! There's not much space, between the hinge tubes and the opposing part. Now, I'm sure most of you are saying "Duhhh".. It wasn't the first thought on my mind, while covering and I had a real fight putting the hinge pins in!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X