Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many yards fabric for entire airplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many yards fabric for entire airplane

Has anyone recently ordered or remember how many yards fabric for fuselage and all surfaces. Thanks

I can look it up in a bit but Stewart’s had it about right. I had some extra but not enough that I was annoyed at the excess.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks whee. Maybebifbu have some time you could come and help me out!!!

Comment

I just ordered what they said I needed. I didn’t end up using the 3.7 oz fabric.

Looks like 34 yards of 2.7oz Superflite.

Comment

I think I ordered 31 yards. not sure the width was the same.

Comment

Once again thank you. So Whee, guy ou are sayingbthat you used only the 2.7 ounce on entire airplane and mo heavy fabric?

Comment

60” is the standard width for fabric.

Gary, I didn’t use any heavy fabric, I only used 2.7oz fabric. The belly and tail surfaces would benefit from heavy fabric but I didn’t have enough to do those areas. I don’t recall what areas Stewart’s said the heavy fabric was for.

Comment

Bottom of fuselage and stab for heavy fabric. Im still contemplating going all medium . Thanks again!

Comment

Bottom of fuselage, bottom of H-stab and bottom of elevator done in heavy fabric would have been my preference.

Comment

I have heavy on the belly, and even that gets some holes from time to time. Medium would be a rout.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                      I just ordered what they said I needed. I didn’t end up using the 3.7 oz fabric.

Looks like 34 yards of 2.7oz Superflite.

1 gal of ekobond and 2 gal of ekofill was enough for the whole project? Did you use thinned ekobond for the first coat as they now recommend?

Comment

Rod, 1 gal of glue and 2 gal of fill was enough. I used the old method (damp fabric and ekofill) to seal the fabric. You’ll need probably another 1/2gal of glue if you want to seal with it. Either method is acceptable. In the early days they sealed with the glue then switched to using fill. People were not dampening their fabric properly so the primer bond wasn’t good and eventually the paint would start peeling. Stewart’s switched back the the more fool proof method of sealing with glue.

Comment

• rodsmith
                          rodsmith commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Jon!
                      Working...
                      X