Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FWF Engine Cowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWF Engine Cowling

Has anyone thought of doing an engine cowl independent of the firewall? Some Piper aircraft and Cessna in particular have four-point isolation mounts on the firewall and that's where the entire cowl is mounted. There are no gull-wing doors of course.

Never heard of that Paul. I do not believe it has been done on a BH. Sounds like a good project to delay completion so your son can finish the plane. Mark

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      He did talk about getting his license. Hmmmm....

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
    Has anyone thought of doing an engine cowl independent of the firewall? Some Piper aircraft and Cessna in particular have four-point isolation mounts on the firewall and that's where the entire cowl is mounted. There are no gull-wing doors of course.
    The Cessna cowls which use this isolation method are shaped in three dimensions so they are much stronger, and made of thicker ALCLAD than the Bearhawk cowl. They are also very expensive to replace if damaged.

The Bearhawk cowl relies on the firewall for strength because of it's simpler construction (read BH cowl is easier to make).

I am sure you could do it, you would probably need to work the cowl on an English wheel or make it from fibreglass or carbon.
    Last edited by Battson; 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I’m using a Mooney Acclaim cowl....someday? The plan is to not overlap the boot cowl with the engine cowl. Thinking about using a 2” wide strip of 0.050” 6061T6. Bead roller to create a step the same thickness as the combined thickness of the engine cowl and antichafe tape less the thickness of the boot cowl aluminum. The strip would be sandwiched between the firewall and boot cowl. Attached with quarter turn fasteners. Thing is I’ll have to build another tool. Can make the strip with a step...but shaping it to the differing radius of the firewall will be a challenge.. might have to make a slip roll with the correct profiles to do the job. This coming from a guy who started his Bearhawk how many years ago? Waiting on steel to build wing rotisseries for a set of stock piper short wings for my Pacer.. they’re covered through primer... will add one more coat of Superflight system 7 primer and top coat.

Comment

Hey Guys Kinda on the same subject but not, has anyone used a firewall mock up to place all the things on the fire wall and route wires and tubes before building the actual firewall, and if so was it worth the time and effort put into it?

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have seen where some have fabricated a plexiglass mock up. I'm not there yet but will do that. I only want to drill thru stainless once. Making a pattern before I try the real thing always save me time and money.

• davzLSA
          davzLSA commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking of just using my MDF form for my stainless firewall as a firewall mock up to lay out all the holes and locate all the parts that need to be on the fire wall and use it as a template for the actual firewall as well as the form.

Doing it out of aluminum would be pretty difficult - unless you happen to be in that type of business and are an expert with the english wheel - making it out of carbon fiber would be the way to go - might talk to the guys that are making the carbon fiber or fiberglass Cessna Cowling replacements - there are two companies that are making them now.

Not exactly the same things - but here is an older post about someone doing the nose bowl out of aluminum.
        If you have been following the adventures of the "Tinhawk" you know Brent has been hand building our engine cowling from sheet aluminum. So here are
        Last edited by corefile; 06-19-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

If you were going to create glass or carbon cowling then I’d use several sheets of Home Depot Aviation Dept foam siding. Sandwich together and carve to desired shape.
          You could also build a standard BH cowl and later wax and use as a form for carbon. Either way it’s going to take time.
          Bearhawk 4 Place Model B
          Plans #1552
          EAA Chapter 59

Comment

I think too much work for a one off out of carbon. Not worth it unless you want to set up to build and sell them. I might be a buyer if you do.

Comment

Working...
            X