Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pcu5000x spec sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcu5000x spec sheet

looking for some help from someone with a little more experience with governors. i am looking to order a pcu5000 and am not so sure about a few things on the spec or order sheet. specifically for a lycoming o360 . has anyone filled out a spec...order sheet for one of these and be able to help me out. my main issues are the control lever angle...0 degrees to 360 degrees. i came up with 290? control lever rotation is my next question. clockwise or ccw? i believe i have the rest figured out. the governor pad is at the rear of the engine on the O360 . thanks .gary

The pcu5000 and johistroj(http://www.propellergovernor.com/governor-models/) are the exact same governor from the same factory. The johistroj costs $500 less. You can order direct from their website or whirlwind aviation in Ohio. They are the US dealer.

On a 360 you'll want counter-clockwise if you are mounting the cable above the governor which I think is the norm. Clocking of the arm isn't that important because you can easily change that. There's 6 safety wired slotted screws, loosen them and the arm rotates to any clocking position you want. But I would think you'd want it around 1:30-2:00.
    Then on a parallel valve 360 you'll want the .867:1 drive ratio.
    Last edited by zkelley2; 11-21-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I have the PCU5000X, which is cheaper the then PCU5000 (or it was 7 years ago when I bought it). Flawless operation so far.

You can easily change the control lever angle yourself, once you receive it.

If the governor pad is on the side of the thrust bearing pad, near the prop, then you want CCW rotation - assuming your control cable will come up through the front baffle.

With the same assumption on governor location, if the 12pm position is vertical on the installed governor, then you want it about 1 or 2 for an over the cylinders control cable and a CW rotation on the governor. But not for me, I like mine coming up from under the cylinder through a baffle penetration. So I have mine in the 10 or 11 position. But you can change it any time.
      Last edited by Battson; 04-26-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
        I have the PCU5000X, which is cheaper the then PCU5000 (or it was 7 years ago when I bought it). Flawless operation so far.

You can easily change the control lever angle yourself, once you receive it.

If the governor pad is on the side of the thrust bearing pad, near the prop, then you want CCW rotation.

With the same assumption on governor location, if the 12pm position is vertical on the installed governor, then you want it about 1 or 2 for an over the cylinders control cable. But not for me, I like mine coming up from under the cylinder through a baffle penetration. So I have mine in the 10 or 11 position. But you can change it any time.
        The 360 puts the governor on the accessory case. Bottom right pad as viewing from the rear.

On the 540 if you want an over the cylinder, ideally the arm would be about 11:00 and would pull clockwise to 1-2. Prop cables pull to increase pitch not push.

Best price I could find on the pcu5000x was $1900.
        The johistroj which is the exact same governor without a pcu5000 sticker on it is $1375shipped anywhere.
        Last edited by zkelley2; 11-22-2019, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I paid 1600 for the PCU 2 months ago. I wish I had heard of the johistroj.

Gary, this is on an RV but it shows how it should be set up.

You can see the prop control is full in so that spot is where you want the arm. Then ccw rotation as you pull the control back.

IMG_8963.jpeg
        Last edited by zkelley2; 11-22-2019, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Fantasti . Thanks for the input gent . I will research johistroj governor an see how that pans out .

Comment

I just ordered the johistroj governo . Thanks for the nudge in that direction. Greatly appreciated.
            Last edited by Gary Wallace; 11-22-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post
              On the 540 if you want an over the cylinder, ideally the arm would be about 11:00 and would pull clockwise to 1-2.
              Right - and you would need CW rotation instead of CCW too.

Comment

Ive got the O36 . So i believe ccw??

Comment

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Just like in the picture of the 360 I posted above.

The Van's engine tin kit shows pulling the prop governor from the bottom. Is it easier to come across the top of the engine and pull from the rear, instead of from below? I haven't ordered the control cable yet, I can still change it.

Comment

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Honestly either works fine. If you come from below you need to make a bracket under the baffling, if you come from above you'll be using adel clamps on the pushrod tubes and making a bracket..

My cable is the standard length one for the RV10 and it's a touch longer than I'd like for the above the cylinders run. It's the perfect length ran from underneath.

• svyolo
                  svyolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Across the top did look a little easier to be honest. I will look again.

So im good with ccw as i ordered...thanks guys

Comment

If I wanted an over cylinder run for my 540 I'd get the CW one then it seems. With a Hartzell Trailblazer I'd want the "pressure to increase" option since I don't have counterweights?
                  Dave B.
                  Plane Grips Co.
                  www.planegrips.com

Comment

• zkelley2
                    zkelley2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, pressure to increase for non counterweighted props.

This is what I am ordering for a Lycoming YO-360-A1A and a Hartzell Tailblazer prop. Will let you know if it works out.
                  • Jihostroj P-920-032/A
                  • pressure to INCREASE
                  • Takeoff RPM 2700
                  • Takeoff power at 320deg (all in, low pitch)
                  • CCW (to increase pitch, pull prop control)
                  • 866:1 gear ratio
                  Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

• Bcone1381
                    Bcone1381 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I might make you feel a bit warm and fuzzy to know that Your P-920-032/A is the exact model I ordered last year on line from Jihostroj. I wont know if it works right until I start my engine. We are a ways to go yet.
                    Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-21-2022, 04:17 PM. Reason: added detail of my supplier

Same as I ordered as well gents. Haven't flown yet but static testing is great so far. Lycoming O360a1f6d

Comment

Working...
                  X