Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flush bolts or pan head for cowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush bolts or pan head for cowling

Im looking for input and opinions. Is it worth the extra work to have flush cowl screws at the firewall/boot cowl and nose bowl. Is there any reason why i should not use one or the other. Also, are people using flush rivets for cowling fab or regular round head rivets. Preferences there? Any input would be appreciated to help me with my decision. Thank . Gary

It's all personal preference, but the rest of the aircraft is flush everything. I figure if you've spent the time to dimple everything up to now, why stop? Keep the drag down.

There's a reason this airplane goes faster than most bush planes at the top end.

Comment

What i was thinking

Comment

not only that I just think it looks better with flush eveything.

Comment

The top of the boot and engine cowling is .032, on top of .032, on top of .040 firewall flange. #8 screws. I don't think I can dimple .032 2024 very well for a #8 screw. No problem for a smaller rivet. I haven't tried it yet.

So would it be better to just countersink the whole 3 layers, and use a tinnerman washer under the #8 screw?

Comment

I would not recommend countersinking there. The whole cowl is cantilevered from that point and having the dimples greatly increases the shear strength. I had no trouble dimpling with the #8 screw die, one layer at a time of course.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
              The top of the boot and engine cowling is .032, on top of .032, on top of .040 firewall flange. #8 screws. I don't think I can dimple .032 2024 very well for a #8 screw. No problem for a smaller rivet. I haven't tried it yet.

So would it be better to just countersink the whole 3 layers, and use a tinnerman washer under the #8 screw?
              No, you want to dimple that, one layer at a time.

Comment

OK. I will give #8 dimpling a try.

Comment

Here is a tip most might already know. Easily make your own dimple dies. By drilling and counter sinking a hole in a extra bucking bar . Use the fastener as the male part and hit a few times with your rivet gun and a flush set or a ball peen gamer.

Comment

Working...
                  X