Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabric weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric weights

I’m using polyfiber with Stewarts Systems and want to check that I’m proceeding in the right direction with fabric weights. So far I’ve done the gear legs in heavy fabric. Am I pointed in the right direction if I use:

Heavy
    Gear legs
    Fuselage Belly

Medium
    Remainder of fuselage exterior
    Tailplane
    Elevators
    Rudder + Fin
    Cargo area

Light
    Remainer of interior

All or any thoughts appreciated.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Sounds like a good plan Nev. Mark

Comment

Have you seen this video on Stewarts Systems Double Cover technique? I thought is was interesting but apologize.....for I have no data to provide. The first two minutes of this video is a quick overview of what it is, and benefits of doing it. I wonder how two layers of light fabric might compare with a single heavy layer.

Mike Patey has created a landslide of questions about double covering as he is using the process on "Scrappy" the 500+ horsepower Super Cub (sort of...) STOL...

Videos For playlists that include multiple videos: Click on the three bars in the upper-left hand corner of the video screen. Click on the desired video. Click on the X in the upper-right hand corner of the playlist choices. Enjoy! Fabric Covering Videos August 17, 2020 There has been some confusion as
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        I did Brooks, very interesting and seems to have been popularised by Mike Patey on his Scrappy build. A slick way of finishing it.

I have seen some pictures of pretty beat up horizontal stabs. They seem to take a lot of abuse off-airport.

Comment

Aside from the interior, those are the weights I used.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
          Have you seen this video on Stewarts Systems Double Cover technique? I thought is was interesting but apologize.....for I have no data to provide. The first two minutes of this video is a quick overview of what it is, and benefits of doing it. I wonder how two layers of light fabric might compare with a single heavy layer.

Mike Patey has created a landslide of questions about double covering as he is using the process on "Scrappy" the 500+ horsepower Super Cub (sort of...) STOL...

https://stewartsystems.aero/videos/
          Instructions for the Pitts Model 12 recommend double covering. Reason being with the M14P engine and original 2-blade prop that went with it, the propeller pulses tended to remove covering tapes. When I recovered my Maule I used 2 layers of light weight fabric on the stabs and elevators to help prevent rock damage. It used to be a procedure in the Polyfiber manual, think they called it bullet proof fabric.

Comment

I'm using heavy on the HS, elevators and rudder. Medium throughout interior.

Comment

Working...
            X