Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which C-170 Windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which C-170 Windshield?

Hey folks

Which C-170 windshield should I be buying for my 4pl? Aircraft Spruce has C170, C170A, and C170B. I would normally order it through Mark but shipping something that big to Canada these days is a major pain in the butt and I can't get it shipped to the nearest US based UPS store and just pick it up because we can't cross the border. At least Aircraft Spruce will do all the border stuff automagically and there won't be any additional brokerage fees.

Also, related question for those of you flying: which tint did you pick and are you happy with it (clear, smoke, green)? I'm leaning towards smoke...

Thanks
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

The LP part number is: 312.187BH

I know I got a quote from ACS but I can’t recall if that’s who I got it from.

I ordered clear and that’s what I’d do again.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I ordered from LP Aero too. I got the gray.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, guys. I've got ACS Canada working on a quote...
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I still have 20/20 distant vision but as my eyes get older the first thing to go is near vision and night vision, and supposedly this is very normal. In low light my vision is noticebly degraded. Even most sunglasses cut down on my ability to see. I ended up with all clear glass on my project and will wear sunglasses when necessary, and will carry some shades for the windows and skylights.

Flying for a living made this very noticeable. I almost always took off my sunglasses to take off and land.

Comment

I hear ya. I will most likely do a clear windshield and a tinted skylight.

-------------------
            Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
            RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Another option is to use this Dot-Matrix Static Cling film from Amazon on your skylight. I saw it on one guy's skylight (gold side out) and it kept it MUCH cooler inside in the hot Texas sun! Other colors are available if you look around on Amazon.

• rv8bldr
              rv8bldr commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Jim

You want a windshield .187 thick because you are using a 540. Not .125. FYI. Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark! I had no idea that is what the .187 meant on the part number.

Mark
              -------------------
              Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
              RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Working...
              X