Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downturned Exhaust Tips? Aiming Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downturned Exhaust Tips? Aiming Exhaust?

I'm installing my exhaust hangers that I got from Clint at Vetterman Exhaust. I'm aligning the tail pipes parallel to the exhaust tunnel just to make them look nice. (although they can be aimed a bit toward the middle) As a result it looks like the exhaust will blow right back onto the landing gear shock struts. I saw that Eric Newton and Russ Erb had made their own exhaust system and both put a downturned tip at the end. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't found many pictures of other's installations. It would be nice to hear from those that are flying if they like what they did with their exhaust outlets or would do something different. Thanks!

Ask Clint to send you a couple of downturn tips that will fit your exhaust pipes perfectly.

Comment

I ran them like you describe on the blue plane and I could feel the exhaust pulses in my feet. The bolt-on turndowns fixed that.

Comment

I did down-turned tips. Seems to work well. The landing gear struts are still covered in exhaust residue (lead i guess?) even with the tips turned down 90 degrees to the pipe. The plan was to install them with the full 90 and then trim them back to a lesser angle if i though it was necessary. I figure I'll trim them to the staining on the tip in the photo... IMG_6015.jpg
        4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
        IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Once you've trimmed them, they will be more or less the same shape as a Vetterman exhaust tip.

I was getting some significant CO readings with the exhaust parallel to the tunnel. It was exactly as you stated Paul... Exhaust was leaking through the gear struts. I lowered the stacks and added turned down (22.5 degree) tips that I bought from Clint. Problem solved.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.01.47 AM.png
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
          I'm installing my exhaust hangers that I got from Clint at Vetterman Exhaust. I'm aligning the tail pipes parallel to the exhaust tunnel just to make them look nice. (although they can be aimed a bit toward the middle) As a result it looks like the exhaust will blow right back onto the landing gear shock struts. I saw that Eric Newton and Russ Erb had made their own exhaust system and both put a downturned tip at the end. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't found many pictures of other's installations. It would be nice to hear from those that are flying if they like what they did with their exhaust outlets or would do something different. Thanks!
          Clint's exhausts from Vetterman LLC are perfect in my view. I wouldn't change a thing.

Mine are parallel with the tunnel, facing together slightly, and they have given 10 years of great flying. No trouble or maintenance.

Comment

You can buy SS U-bend's from racing suppliers like Summit. Fairly cheap to experiment with before you pay a lot for custom work. Even cheaper is a plated U-bend from the same or local muffler shop. Make it pretty when you get it right.

Comment

Thanks guys...exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
              X