Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I work out of state every other week so I’m hauling some of the smaller parts with me to work on in the evenings. Boss let’s me have access to the machine and welding shop so I built a jig and started welding up rudder pedals and control sticks tonight.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      I worked at a remote job site before retirement (Gas processing plant, Prudhoe Bay Alaska). I was able to do the same thing with the great welding and machine shops we had. I always was taking materials north and bringing parts home. Even built stabs, elevators, and rudder there.

• TTAero
      TTAero commented
      Editing a comment
      Rodsmith that’s awesome! I plan on doing about the same parts there. Id rather stay late and do this than go back to the hotel and stare at the walls.

• Finished the autopilot servo install today on my Patrol. The Yaw axis is the most difficult because of the compound angles involved but it turned out pretty well. On to the next task, elevator weights.

DSC_1741-S.jpgDSC_1735-S.jpgDSC_1733-S.jpgDSC_1736-S.jpg

Comment

• Scratch build Bearhawk 1178 got wings, next up is to fit the flaps to the wings and then the wings to the fuselage. Really hope to have it done by 15 August. 68B8A090-70AD-47A2-940D-CF6E5D4FD096.jpeg5AB3C0ED-86AD-4DF4-9C77-3BCEF9FF2A25.jpeg

Comment

• Off to the airport and wings on today ….
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• FF6E6E6C-FB37-4F0A-8E66-198767E5555D.jpegBC8B570D-7E0C-4D2A-B699-C795E0BD7614.jpeg Adding flanges for wingtips

Comment

• PaulSA
            PaulSA commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a lot of extra work but worth it. I did it and I'm going to do the same with the engine cowling

• robcaldwell
            robcaldwell commented
            Editing a comment
            I did the same. Bob suggested that the flange be at least 3/4" ( mine is 1") and space the nut plates 3" apart. He said to use .032 AL.
            Last edited by robcaldwell; 08-07-2021, 07:23 AM.

• Gerhard Rieger
            Gerhard Rieger commented
            Editing a comment
            I did mine with 050, 3/4 of an inch join to the wing skin and 5/8 flange for the wingtip with nut plates every 2 inches

• 452890C6-7516-48A7-93ED-F808AC05F0DE.jpeg138C5BD8-FE78-44B9-8FA7-D555244F5E15.jpeg Some hrs later, next up is the left wingtip. 18BF6569-7DEE-49D6-B322-0F25A5BC8AFD.jpeg942DA996-CE8F-484E-83D8-A32445ABAC87.jpeg

Comment

• Please, don't paint those wings.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
              Gerhard Rieger commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure my rivet work is up to the polished wing standard, I have a smily or two

• Smilies just adds character. Got a friend with a RV-7. No paint with a buff finish. An alternative to polishing plus the weight savings. Looks nice and easy to maintain.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

• Decided to take a break from composite work. I had built my cowling sometime ago but had never installed a door over the dip stick. I was unsure at the time how I was going to joggle the skin for a flush door. I have a harbor freight beading tool with a joggle die, but it is designed to joggle an outside edge, not an inside cut out. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and modify the tools you have to get the desired result. I had bought a hidden oil door hinge from Avery when they were going out of business. I am really happy with the clean look. This little project took much longer than it should have but that seems to be the norm.

DSCF1283.JPGDSCF1285.JPGDSCF1287.JPGDSCF1288.JPGDSCF1294.JPGDSCF1296.JPG

Comment

• Sir Newton
                Sir Newton commented
                Editing a comment
                This is an extremely useful tool among sheet metal fabricators. Two thumbs up !
                I purchased an 18" model with various sets of dies for rolling options.

• I added .025" 4130 plates to the leading edge of my elevators today, tomorrow I will pour the lead weights. The process was to first tack the plates in place being very careful to keep the plates below the level of the outside tubes so that when fabric is added it won't touch the plates. Then I brazed around the edges to seal them against the tubes, I ground the brazes flush. Finally I added three steel dowels between the plates to act as an anchor for the lead.

pic4-s.jpgpic5-s.jpgpic6-s.jpg

Comment

• DSC_1752-S.jpg

Completed the recommended Patrol flap pulley reinforcement today. Welded a strap to the frame to pick up forces directly at the pulley mount. bolt.

Comment

• I was planning to get some vinyl for the top of the instrument panel the same as the seats. However here in NZ we're in lockdown while our prime minister personally eradicates the Delta variant of COVID 19. Everything is shut.

So I ended up reverting to Kydex (I know, I know). And I had a piece of rubber trim that I bought a while back as a sample which fits very well too. I’ll add Velcro underneath so it can all be easily removed to access the avionics rack. Really happy with the results.

0D22BD63-8AEE-421B-B70B-44C7756451E9.jpeg

8DB2E7B8-5DE0-4D6A-A402-7A40A1E4911D.jpeg
                  Nev Bailey
                  Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                  YouTube - Build and flying channel
                  Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
                    Gerhard Rieger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks really great

• davzLSA
                    davzLSA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    looking good Nev, it looks like you are ready to go flying.

• Looks great Nev
                  N678C
                  https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                  Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• A little more framed up. Missing some tubes from VR3, but as soon as I get those in I’ll buckle down for a couple days and weld it out. Sorry for the poor lighting. It’s still pretty warm here so working at night is the way to go right now. Plus it’s nice and peaceful with no interruptions.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• TTAero
                      TTAero commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So far I have been very pleased with the pre coped tubing kit. It’s almost self jigging in some ways. I have 3 plumb bobs down the middle and the worst one Is out the width of the pencil line on the table.

• BravoGolf
                      BravoGolf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I really like your wood supports for welding. I’m going to copy that idea

• davzLSA
                      davzLSA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      that looking really good man keep up the great work!!

• Hats off to you scratch builders! Makes us QB builders look like wussies!

Comment

Working...
                    X