Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans-built 4-place N873GT (IO-360 angle valve) was put on the scales today: 1375# with an empty C.G. @ 11.6”.

Comment

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Very respectable weight!

• I made contact with a DAR last week, sent him some of the required papers, and set a tentative date for him to do the inspection of N873GT during the last week in July. I also learned that the FAA now wants the engine run on the ground for one hour prior to first flight; so, today I did 40 minutes of that in 10-minute increments (with 20 minute cooling periods) starting at 1000 rpm and stepping up to 1300 rpm for the final block. I watched CHT carefully; it never got above 300 deg, even though it was hot and muggy. Made adjustments to idle rpm and mixture, and received a “loud and clear” com check from W13 Unicom. All engine parameters looked good. I’ll run it at 1400 and 1500 later this week. Taxi tests and full power run-up will have to wait until I get a “moving status” go-ahead from my insurance company, hopefully soon.

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Should this concern me that a fresh engine will not have an opportunity to be properly broken in? Is that an FAA mandate or merely a request?

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      This is always a concern Brooks, balancing the new engine's preference for break-in with the new airplane's preference for flight testing.

• Bdflies
      Bdflies commented
      Editing a comment
      Jared is so right! My DAR instructed me to "have at least an hour on the hobbs and a lot of dirt on the tires." Whether the DAR wants it or the FAA demands it, without the DAR's signature, it's not an airplane. Because of issues with my original electronic ignition, I probably had closer to 2 hrs. I don't think it's remotely possible to break in the rings, on the ground. It takes more power than can be cooled. And cooling is most important. Keep the ground runs fairly short. I know it's widely said to never run un-cowled, but you're looking for leaks and stuff that's about to fall off.. Watch the temps and don't overheat! My #4 was pumping oil like crazy by the time I was able to fly. During this year's condition inspection, I fixed a couple of nuisance oil leaks. In the 10 hours since, I haven't added any oil. The moral of the story is to do enough ground runs to be absolutely confident that it will be running when your first flight is complete. If you don't overheat it, it'll break in fine.

Bill

• I completed my installation of the park brake and did all the drilling for the holding down screws on the instrument panel as well as installing a doubler to stiffen up my sun vizier.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Today N873GT received go-ahead from the insurance company for flight status. So, I began taxi tests: burnishing brakes and getting used to ground handling and sight picture...definitely going to have to be peripheral vision until the tail comes up. Did a brief full throttle run-up. Everything stayed cool: max CHT was 275. I’ll do more taxiing this week and then give the DAR a call, hopefully getting certificate next week.

Comment

• I flew my LSA again today so here is the report: 30 hrs, flys hands off. I flew along side a Piper Vagabond short wing. yes, he is side by side and he is a rag wing. We started at 80mph he was turning 2400 rpm I was at 2100. Progressed to 100mph he was turning 2600rpm. I was at 2300rpm. He moved to full power 2750, I was turning 2500 along side, I pushed mine full power 2750 and walked away!. Both aircraft have Cont.0-200 both turned red line 2750. Just a little to compare!.. Stinger
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Stinger
          what was your LSA cruising at for the two highest power settings ?
          1. 2500rpm
          2. 2750 rpm

at the lower settings you mentioned 80 and 100 mph
          just curious it certainly gets along for an O200

Peter 4 place
          scratch build #1186

Comment

• High-speed taxi tests for N873GT went well yesterday morning; she really wanted to fly as the tail came up...just a touch more throttle would have done it. I stopped at the FBO to add fuel and drew a crowd...lots of questions and positive comments about the Bearhawk. Back in the hangar, I noticed a leaking fuel tank sump valve...bummer. Had to drain the tank, pull the tank bay cover and remove the valve...found a tiny metal sliver under the o-ring...no apparent damage. Put it all back together, added fuel, no leak. DAR may be here late this week. Will spend the time until then going through the rest of the fuel system: gascolator, filter, servo screen. Ditto for oil suction screen. Also need to write out checklists and test card for first flight.

Comment

• Got my wings and struts on for first time instead of going to Kosh last week. Glad to reach this milestone and spent a lot less$$$ than I would have.
              This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
                rodsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations, that is a great milestone.

• Ray Strickland
                Ray Strickland commented
                Editing a comment
                You gotta love it when it begins to look like an airplane...

• Bdflies
                Bdflies commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks great! Truly a milestone! Oshkosh was great!
                Your hangar/strip sure look nice and peaceful. Where at?

Bill

• My project grew to cause shop gridlock in my <500 square foot shop. Moving today into a 1250 sq ft shop. Lot of space. Looking forward to getting back to work on it.

Comment

• Sorry ... off topic here, but I can no longer find old stuff on the Forum; something has changed (and not for the good)/

I cannot find the Search option using my browser. Clicking on the [search] blank on the upper right gets me into Google and their search results are crap.
                Hell will freeze over before I lower myself to becoming part of the Google database.

So perhaps whomever posted a list of various nut-plates required for the Patrol could post it again; I think it was only 3 weeks or so ago that I saw such a list posted on the Forum.

Bergy

Comment

• Originally posted by bergy View Post
                  Sorry ... off topic here, but I can no longer find old stuff on the Forum; something has changed (and not for the good)/

I cannot find the Search option using my browser. Clicking on the [search] blank on the upper right gets me into Google and their search results are crap.
                  Hell will freeze over before I lower myself to becoming part of the Google database.

So perhaps whomever posted a list of various nut-plates required for the Patrol could post it again; I think it was only 3 weeks or so ago that I saw such a list posted on the Forum.

Bergy
                  Jared switched to Google search because generally it does a better job returning results than the built-in search. However, if you find that you prefer the old search engine, you can still find and use it here:

~Chris
                  Christopher Owens
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                  Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                  Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Finished precision drill guide jig for mounting Grove brake backing plate. Finished exploded view of assembly with four mounting bolts. Perfect fit.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks very good Bruce. One comment. Many builders use smaller, all metal nuts on the brake caliper mounting ring because everything is so tight. Meaning sometimes the bolt holes are close to the weld bead and smaller profile nuts fit better. Mark

• Completed flap handle installation and assembly documents.

Comment

• Finished up my paint job. I hadn't painted the engine cowl because I was concerned that I would need to modify it during the test flying process. I did modify it for better engine cooling so I'm glad I waited. I'm pretty happy with the end results. Not bad for an amateur painting in my garage. I wanted to take it outside and get some good pics but it started raining while we were putting the cowl on. I'll get better pics soon.
                      Rollie VanDorn
                      Findlay, OH
                      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

• Ray Strickland
                        Ray Strickland commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks great, Rollie. I like that shade of blue with the gray. I know you are glad to have that chore behind you. What paint system did you use?

• Rollie
                        Rollie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I used Stewarts Systems right from the beginning. I like the fact that you can do it all without much ventilation since there aren't any solvents. The paint can be a bit of a challenge but I found that once I bought the spray gun they recommend things went smoothly. The colors are Stewarts Silver Metallic and Blue Metallic.

• That really looks good Rollie! Confirms my choice of the same colors

Comment

Working...
                      X