Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autopilot installation proceeding nicely in the Patrol. Roll axis done, on to pitch and yaw.

DSC_1710-S.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

• dutchmaster36
      dutchmaster36 commented
      Editing a comment
      It has been about a month - have you installed either pitch or roll servos. Really interested in your success as I will put the same system into my Patrol - whenever I get my kit! Don

• Wingtip leading edge progress, getting there slowly. 09860BD1-18FF-43B0-A051-5A7706F3E842.jpeg31FEC4AC-900F-4F6F-9ABE-748A093BF779.jpeg843A90DC-53CA-459E-9EA0-7464BEB0BEB8.jpegF5427C78-4AC0-49AA-A899-03E12E4E24BF.jpegC97D443E-6E61-4788-81DD-E162625017C7.jpeg

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very Very Nice!!!

• What did I do today on my Bearhawk? I took delivery of my LSA QB Kit!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    LSA QB started 2/6/2022, My Build Log, N67BH reserved.

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Woah, a memorable day !!

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Let the fun begin!

• I mounted the seatbelts to try them out in the front right seat, and rear right seat. The front one has the tongue from a lap only belt fitted. This has made it able to be easily adjusted when un-fastened.
    When it’s fastened it locks the lap part in position to keep a person firmly in their seats during turbulence.

We removed the ball bearing, so it should only lock under acceleration, but I won’t be able to test that part out until inflight.

Currently it gives very good access to the flap handle and fuel selector.

D89EAFD6-0EB1-4275-98E2-B98576885378.jpeg

E93D971C-EB13-4A7F-9ABF-3FD344410AA9.jpeg
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Looking great Nev, I also plan to use auto seatbelts. Where is the ball bearing you took out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerhard Rieger View Post
        Looking great Nev, I also plan to use auto seatbelts. Where is the ball bearing you took out?
        It’s inside the inertial reel, but easy to access. Actually the guy that sells the seat belts is coming over to see my plane, so I’ll see if I can get a pic of how to do the ball bearing, You need to remove it because otherwise it will lock the belt on most angles other than level, and also when it gets moved.

The really good thing so far is that the lap belt locks when you plug it in - unlike a car belt. And when you unplug it, it’s fully adjustable.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
          Gerhard Rieger commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Nev, I will look at mine and take it out

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          Incidentally, the lap-belt type latch can be fitted to the diagonal belt easily without having to be sewn it.

• Originally posted by Nev View Post

It’s inside the inertial reel, but easy to access. Actually the guy that sells the seat belts is coming over to see my plane, so I’ll see if I can get a pic of how to do the ball bearing, You need to remove it because otherwise it will lock the belt on most angles other than level, and also when it gets moved.

The really good thing so far is that the lap belt locks when you plug it in - unlike a car belt. And when you unplug it, it’s fully adjustable.
        the old car belts ( without shoulder restraints ) did that and I remember a few late 70s cars that had static lap belt ( but adjustable length ) and inertia reel shoulder restraints.. people hated them! but for an aircraft that is an ideal setup. why .. or how, did you decide to choose the shoulder ( 3 point ) over the 4 point ( centered vs lateral inertia reel ) style restraint Nev?

Comment

• why .. or how, did you decide to choose the shoulder ( 3 point ) over the 4 point ( centered vs lateral inertia reel ) style restraint
          It was a simple decision for me - the Bearhawk airframe was already engineered for the shoulder harness. I would have preferred a 4-point harness by a small margin, but not enough to have to modify the airframe. In cars, diagonal shoulder belts are well accepted. I won’t be doing aerobatics etc. So by and large it seemed a small trade off and one that I’m willing to accept in return for a huge convenience factor. For a 4 point harness to be more effective over a single shoulder belt, an accident has to still be technically survivable and there are some accidents that just aren’t, no matter how many belts you add.

With the back seat however, it’s only engineered for lap belts. In hindsight, I do wish that I had installed inertia reels for a shoulder strap from the top center cluster. At the time I believed it would require additional engineering, but actually I now realise that my logic was wrong. The fixed lap belt is already deemed safe (enough) and adding a shoulder belt therefore makes it even more so. The strength of that cluster then, is only an issue for the serviceability of the aircraft afterwards.

Just my thought process - don’t take it as gospel
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Installed a Ground Power plug, removed the Vendertherm oil screen, installed the USB charging port, installed the oil temperature sender, and tried to figure out why my ADSB isn’t working properly.

699179B3-EB1D-47FA-A01E-E73B446773BF.jpeg

B2A622AC-4CED-4715-9B43-7AA42960F93C.jpeg

F437AFED-C6F9-40CB-A27E-74FB310F95C2.jpeg

2DFA0243-76DA-4458-871F-9FAEC4BEDD30.jpeg

47B21FD9-4641-469B-88B1-2869955064B0.jpeg
            Attached Files
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              I would get the Vans FWF kit again, definitely. There are so many small parts that you don’t think of, or don’t know about. Huge help.

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nev,
              Here in the US, when you're sitting on the ground, you may not have a tower near enough to your position for ADS-B to receive data. That would give you the ADS-B indications you're seeing. Does NZ use ground stations or satellite-based ADS-B?

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Jim - I believe that is exactly what is happening. I think both ground and satellite here in NZ. When I searched the registration database and found my aircrafts “Hex code” and entered it into the Dynon, I was also able to see my Bearhawk on AvPlan, so my ADSB out and in are both working. We’ve now tested the radio, Emags, EMS etc, and all operational.

• Left wing nose ribs riveted both top and bottom, assembling the fuselage so that I can make up the control cables when done riveting the wings.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Got an AW cert and repairman cert. Should not be too long now.

Comment

• Admittedly not directly Bearhawk related, but I've been having a blast flying the 140, even around the pattern and always learning. I finally took up my first passenger, my son and soon-to-be autopilot, a couple weeks ago. Even with me at the controls he doesn't hate flying so I'd consider that introduction a success.
                The Patrol wing framing is underway. Spars and the first few ribs are coming together. This step offers great visual gratification.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Chewie; 05-25-2021, 11:07 PM.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

• m.mooney
                  m.mooney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He looks like a natural

• Fabric on the fuselage and control surfaces is complete! That was actually a pretty enjoyable process. I'm happy with how it turned out. Now hopefully I can do it justice with a decent paint job.
                IMG_5258.jpgIMG_5259.jpg
                Attached Files
                4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
                IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• Got a lot done on my skylight. All ready to be screwed into place now.

F5CFE53D-1E18-465A-8758-DEECE5016755.jpeg
                  Nev Bailey
                  Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting, what is the purpose of the aluminum angle? I was going to use aluminum angle different - I was going to pop rivet some angle to the outside to hold nut plates on the underside of the 1/2 inch steel tube. I couldn't figure out how to rivet the nut plates in place any other way other than maybe bonding.

I am about to attach my skylight as well.

• The aluminium angle is capturing the sides of the Lexan. I’ve put rivnuts in the steel former underneath. Theyre supporting a shear load, so should be plenty strong enough. I’m also using rivnuts on the two center stringers. Actually where the bulk of the lifting force is, there’s probably no need for the screws at that point because the way the Lexan curves over the stringers seems to lock it firmly in place, although I’ve got them anyway. But further aft the skylight is prone to lifting. So I’ve got two rows of M4 machine screws on those stringers and the outside edges of the skylight are captured all the way around.

The only point I’m still pondering is if I should wrap the front and rear edges in felt (or something - what ??). It does need something to pack it out and I’d rather not silicon it in permanently.

Any ideas welcomed.
                  Nev Bailey
                  Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Paul Johnston
                    Paul Johnston commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I used felt that’s intended for pool tables on front and rear sides

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How are you going to attach the wing root fairing to the piece of angle that is capturing the sides of the skylight?
                Working...
                X