Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly finished my rudder fixture, just needs paint, layout and locators. Horizontal stab fixture just needs a few locator blocks. Elevator fixture in work. Also built a mandrel for bending tubing. Made from some mahogany cutoffs from a neighbors home remodel. Will make one for 3/8", 1/2" and 7/8". Hope it works.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30
    Attached Files

Comment

• geraldmorrissey
      geraldmorrissey commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried to account for springback by doing just what you did, but it's a guess.

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      I noticed you put triangular gussets on the LE tube blocks. I'm going to make an assumption that you are going to get the LE tube close, then force it into place at the end of the bending procedure. .When you bend your tube the goal is to have the piece drop in without any pressure one way or the other, in other words no induced stresses. I had more of a hard time of bending the tube in a horizontal plane, keeping it flat on the table. FWIW, here's how I did mine:

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

• geraldmorrissey
      geraldmorrissey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your comments. The right angle locators are dual purpose, 1. Lift the leading edge tube up off the fixture surface 1.5" so the contoured ribs clear the top of the tool and 2 . Provide a location surface for the leading edge tube. I will make sure that the tube is flat and it's
      final contour fits the tool with no preload. If it takes ruining a tube to get it right, I'll have some extra welding practice material.

• Slinging the O-360 onto the Patrol today. These numbers seem brutal.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Utah-Jay
      Utah-Jay commented
      Editing a comment
      265 sounds about right for a O-360. My angle valve weights 287

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, that's light. I weighed my IO-540 before hanging it, 414#, but that was with every engine accessory, 12 quarts of preservative oil, and the engine mount.

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      That is eye opening.

• Re-made fuel sight gages. Electrical has come to stop for now....just ordered the COMM, Xpndr, Intercom wiring harnesses. I like my Panel....Love it!! You can make these things without subcontracting everything out.

I took a Sport Air Workshop Fiberglass for RV's class and learned how I should have made my windshield fairing. Haha! Bob's method works fine and its sturdy so I'm sticking with it. But other fairings will be better!! Way Better!!

I'm still messing with my Gear Strut Fairings. The time I've spent on them is ridiculous and I'm still not quite there. EDUCATIONAL!! is the key word. Now I'm fabricating an end cap that will attach to the strut using a tube clamp....it will be sturdy and simple. I also experiemented with pour foam last night. A world of possibilities exist with this stuff!!

69672341440__3737766B-6386-4271-84C2-3EA66C7E870E (1).pngIMG_5559.pngIMG_5570.png
    IMG_5545.pngIMG_5587.png69677735769__F4EFD55C-8BA0-4DD5-85DD-5361B5648EFF.png
    IMG_5583.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• spinningwrench
      spinningwrench commented
      Editing a comment
      Your segmented panel will be handy for access if you need it. Fiberglass fairings look familiar. That was a good course.

• Gear strut end caps are going to work out! A hose clap will secure the fairing to the shock strut.
    IMG_5594.pngIMG_5600.pngIMG_5602.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Trying to wake this thread up... Today I finished up the nutplates for the right main tank. Lotta nutplates! Moving on to the right aux tank now...
      01968ebd449dc67fceb48a53475019887fbcaa05c4.jpg

Comment

• The electrical system is by and large done. I have PTT switches that still need to be installed and the EMS will be wired in connection with Firewall Forward tasks.

I designed the system using Bob Nuckolls' book Aeroelectric Connection. I used his Z101 wiring Diagram, and B&C products throughout. I wired it all myself with the exception of avionics wiring harnesses for the COMM and Transponder. I contracted out to Aviation Electrical Services in Palmer, AK for those items. The Instrument panel has three sub-panels, each face is removable and service loops allow it to pull away at least 10".

To prevent EMI issues I put all the possible noisy wiring on the right and firewall areas, and the the sensitive wiring like Intercom and avionics and future EMS wiring on the left and panel area of the boot cowl.

IMG_5849.png IMG_5892.png
        IMG_5747.pngIMG_5745.png
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 03-28-2023, 07:13 AM. Reason: Updated one photo
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s looking great Brooks!

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          I met Bill at OSH in 2016 at the Bearhawk Picnic. He helped give me confidence to build. Thanks Bill!

• Scratch built companion update: the ailerons and flaps are done for now. Will need to had the piece to the back of the training ribs once they’re hung to insure proper alignment with the trailing edge of the wing. Sharing a couple quick photos.

Next up, wings!
        This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats. I see you riveted the angles to the ribs first instead of the spars. I wonder if that makes those corner rivets easier to get at. That was a tricky spot for me.

• NSLaw
          NSLaw commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, riveted the angels to the trailing ribs before final assembly. Couldn’t see any reason not to, and it makes for four very easy rivets. Chewie

• Dry-fit the tailfeathers for the first time. Angle of incidence of the horizontal stab was perfect as per the plans, and after unsticking a stuck hinge gummed up with paint on the rudder, all parts move freely. Almost like it was made for it!

Attached Files
        Model B 4-Place
        Quick Build Kit #39

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeFrog View Post
          Dry-fit the tailfeathers for the first time. Angle of incidence of the horizontal stab was perfect as per the plans, and after unsticking a stuck hinge gummed up with paint on the rudder, all parts move freely. Almost like it was made for it!
          Looking awesome! Which model are you building?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darqfaux View Post

Looking awesome! Which model are you building?
            Model B 4-place
            Model B 4-Place
            Quick Build Kit #39

Comment

• I like the design of your tail rotissory. Simple & elegant!
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• LukeFrog
                LukeFrog commented
                Editing a comment
                I absolutely can't take any credit for that! It was a very generous gift from Graham Johnson, who recently finished his Patrol. I did him a favor a while back and he offered me his rotisserie when he no longer needed it! I'm very grateful for his help, and aim to pay it forward when I'm done

• Cowling coming together. Made simple jig to allow hinges to be mounted so skins are all flush.
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Got the wings in the slings and the metal crates (to be repurposed) in another hangar. Everything big is on wheels and easy to move about.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DBeaulieu; 07-26-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Milestone day today. Except for a few trim pieces yet to be made, I shot the last of the paint this afternoon. Have to wait 24hrs to peel all the tape off. Now I can disassemble the paint booth and finally get it out of the shop! The rest of the bits are done.

20230730_135042.jpg 20230730_174713.jpg 20230730_174734.jpg 20230727_085414.jpg 20230727_085350.jpg

Comment

• Installing Vetterman crossover exhaust. Really tremendous quality part and fit from this vendor.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
                    rodsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Clint is great to work with. In my case I needed a custom exhaust for my IO-540 because of my cold air induction. Later I sent my heat muffs back because I needed the intlet and outlet offset. Such good service and quality!
                Working...
                X