Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Screen to remote oil filter adapter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battson Thats a great explanation thanks Jon.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Is anyone not using a filter and just using the oil screen ? My Bob engine has the old screen, so I’ve now gone full circle and trying to find a good reason not to stick with it. My understanding is that I’d need to do a 25 hour oil change, which is what I’m probably going to be doing anyway, and I plan to get the oil tested at each oil change. Presumably the filter comes into its own if an engine starts making metal. Is it a diagnostic tool or a damage prevention tool, or both ?
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
        Mark Goldberg commented
        Editing a comment
        It is both Nev. Does add some weight and complexity. Bob thinks oil filters generally are not needed. I have always used them. Mark

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am reconsidering a filter also, as is another Patrol builder near me. Bob told me a few years ago at OSH that his engines make it to TBO with just a screen. His space between the firewall was breathtakingly simple. Today my decision the screen, no filter, and 25 hr oil changes. An open mind even after decision is made is not a bad thing, especially when we can make an easy change. I may find 25 hr oil changes a pain, or therapy. We'll see.

I run a filter, but it is very rare for me to get to 25 hours between oil changes, with changing the oil every 4 months.

Comment

I could tell a tale, and I will if I find the time, but I will always have an oil filter. I ran a C85 for ten years and 500hrs without one so I’m familiar with doing so but IMO it’s not worth it.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

The B&C angled adapter is available with two difference spacers. Are you sure neither of these would work for you?

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you tell me do you have a patrol or a 4-place - wondering about your engine mount shape.

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Oops I think I just answered my own question. I believe the engine mounts are a different shape so I’ll have to check. The 4-place has two tubes to a high center bolt that may interfere with the filter.

• rv8bldr
            rv8bldr commented
            Editing a comment
            Nev, you are correct. I got an angle adapter for my 4 place and the filter hit the mount. I will either go with just the regular horizontal spin on filter or, depending on my mood and wallet when I start actually mounting stuff, I may spring for the remote mount. I always HATED doing oil changes on my RV-8 with an IO-360 because no matter what I did I managed to get dirty oil all over something...

I just changed my Citabria from the original oil screen to a B&C angled filter. I have to say at the 25 hour mark the oil is much cleaner looking than with the original screen.
          Last edited by spinningwrench; 03-16-2021, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Modern air cooled aircraft engines were designed in the 30's and 40's. Back then a screen was state of the art, including probably in farm equipment. I wonder what those engineers would have designed into their engines if they could buy a disposable oil filter from 70 years later.

Worst case, you can cut open every filter when you change the oil and see what it stopped. Best case, you can go longer between oil changes and save money. I will take both of those, and less work at oil change time with a remote filter that is easy to access.

Will it make the engine last longer? Who knows.

Comment

Working...
            X