Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I extended the flap handle and added abrasion boots to the horizontal stab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I extended the flap handle and added abrasion boots to the horizontal stab.

Well I didn't do it but I had a friend and trusted engineer do it at his shop. I picked up the Bearhawk today after 4 days in the shop for some minor work and a few tweaks.

Notable improvements include a new flap handle that is 6" longer than plans. Cessna abrasion boots on the horizontal stab to try and save the tubing from rocks, a dynamic prop balance, new brake pads and a few other minor tweaks.

The flight home today after picking her up was only 5 min long but it was the first time that I have been able to pull full flap for landing. The original flap handle was too short to have any real leverage to lock in 50deg of flap even at slow speed. The one time I was able to engage full flap prior to this mod it took 2 hands to get them out of the detent. With the longer flap handle pulling flap was a breeze all the way to full flap (50deg). The only thing now is that we'll have to watch the flap speeds a bit closer because of the ease of deployment with the added leverage.

The abrasion boots on the horizontal stab are stock Cessna boots. I had a few nice rock dents in the tubing under the tail feather fabric so opted for the rubber boots after seeing a friend put them on his Maule. They look pretty sweet too.

The dynamic prop balance was a nice treat. As it was the IPS (vibration reading) was 0.1 and after balancing it was brought down to 0.03 and it was a noticeable improvement.

Needless to say I'm really happy with my Bearhawk at the moment and am proud to call her mine. I may not have built it (kudos to those of you that have) but I have made many changes to make her my own.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Bearhawk 4 Place
    IO-540
    MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
    ABW 29" Tires
    Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
    Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Tell us more about how you extended your flap handle and how you like it.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Those boots look great! Thanks for sharing. Extending my flap handle is on my todo list.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

This thread reminds me of another stick modification...what happened to the builder who milled the aluminum removable control sticks...there were a few of us interested in that modification as well. Anyone have drawings or design for the vacuum flaps on a widgeon?

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          My interest in the flap handle extension is due to numerous reports of high forces needed to extend the flaps to full travel. I don't have a good understanding of the best practice available to perform the extension, and am gathering info. I also like the Keep It Simple approach.

I'm also interested in a removable stick for the rear seat in the Patrol. Would make it really nice for transporting dogs for Pilots-N-Paws. No worries about a crate blocking the stick.
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

When I was flying my Maule into gravel bars in Alaska I found I ended up with a dented horiz stab front tube even with the boots. That led me to building the BH horiz stab front tube from .049 tubing instead of .035. Bob was ok with the change.

Comment

Did Gavin build the rudder pedals extra wide? or is that just an illusion?

I've planned on building an entirely new flap handle from 7/8 with geometry that makes the first notch a little easier to grab. What I wonder though, is: When you add extra leverage, what other points in the system get extra stress?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Moyle View Post
              This thread reminds me of another stick modification...what happened to the builder who milled the aluminum removable control sticks...there were a few of us interested in that modification as well. Anyone have drawings or design for the vacuum flaps on a widgeon?
              Might you be thinking of Dick Foy (or son Eric Foy) from Oregon? Haven't heard any more about them. See video:

How to operate the Bearhawk Fold-Down Control Stick by Perideo.

Okay... the thing should fly this spring, and I hope it will be at Oshkosh this year. We've done a few kinda custom things like... got ahold of a sweet pedal

Comment

The flap handle was just replaced using the original RB design with the doublers added at the root except 6.5" longer with just enough room to comfortably clear the bottom of the instrument panel. The 4th notch was not possible before and is no problem now. I also filed down the notches and ramped the entry to the detents on the crescent that passes through the flap handle (not sure the technical name) to allow me to pull though all 4 notches only requiring the button to retract the flaps. This means that to engage the flaps I don't have to reach all the way to the top of the flap handle, I or any other pilot can grab it anywhere along the johnson bar to pull the first few notches.

hope this helps
                Bearhawk 4 Place
                IO-540
                MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                ABW 29" Tires
                Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

Please tell us what materials you used and how they installed the boot!!

Having been lucky enough to fly two Bearhawks to compare, one with a short and one long flap handle, there is no comparison. The long handle is without doubt one of the best modifications I've made, it really reduces pilot workload when flying difficult approaches, or doing a lot of landings. Going back to a short handle was a shock to the system, to say the least.
                  Last edited by Battson; 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Here is the part number and installation instructions. I couldn't find the part on Aircraft Spruce and I cant get into more details because I farmed out the job.
                    Bearhawk 4 Place
                    IO-540
                    MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                    ABW 29" Tires
                    Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                    Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

Did the installer have to cut the boots to make them fit the curved leading edge?

Comment

They were cut to length but the for lack of better terms chord wise span was left in tact to they span further aft on the tob and bottom due to the difference in camber between the Cessans and the flat profile of the BH. Added protection in my eyes. The AN bolts of the flying wires had to be put through the boots so i'll probably put some clear silicone over those bolt heads to prevent water from penetrating and getting caught between the booths and the horizontal stab. If I need to pull the bolt I'll just have to scrape away the silicone.
                        Bearhawk 4 Place
                        IO-540
                        MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                        ABW 29" Tires
                        Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                        Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
                          ... so i'll probably put some clear silicone over those bolt heads to prevent water from penetrating and getting caught between the booths and the horizontal stab. If I need to pull the bolt I'll just have to scrape away the silicone.
                          fwiw, urethane caulk is much more durable than silicone.

Comment

Aircraft Spruce, in the Cessna Parts section, lists PN 1232040-5 for a Boot at a cost of $105.95 each.

Comment

Working...
                            X