Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevlar for covering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a new concept by any means. 1955 Taylorcraft Ranch Wagon (Model 20) was covered in fiberglass. A friend of mine helped restore one here in Alaska years ago...said it was a royal PITA. This might give you some ideas:

Comment

Awesome. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
        Not a new concept by any means. 1955 Taylorcraft Ranch Wagon (Model 20) was covered in fiberglass. A friend of mine helped restore one here in Alaska years ago...said it was a royal PITA. This might give you some ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylorcraft_Ranch_Wagon
        Wow, how cool is that!
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

This thread made me curious about the 'Razorback' process. Not much info out there on google.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

What about aluminium??

Hi Guys,

well, the great news is, I own a bearhawk (and lots of debt!). I purchased Adam Price’s one from out west.

I’ve been vaguely thinking about what form the fuselage will eventually take, and Jim Hutson (scratchbuilt BH-4pl) told me if he had his time again, he wouldn’t use fabric, he’d cover it in aluminium.

Is this even feasible, weight-wise? Can anyone give me more info?

I’ve done some rough calculations with the numbers used on this thread, and getting the material weights off the net (hooray for google convertor!)

Material Spec lbs/sq.ft lbs/sq.yd oz/sq.yd + paint

Aluminium 2024-T3 0.016 0.230 2.07 33

Oratex 0.118 1.06 17

The 17 oz figure is 5 oz fabric and 12 oz paint (as stated above0

- I know I haven’t painted the aluminium.
            - I know I haven’t allowed for nut plates, tabs, screws, washers with aluminium.

Now, there’s a post elsewhere explaining that because the controls are all counterweighted, it makes no sense covering them in aluminium. So we’re just talking about the fuselage here.

Can anyone tell me what is the total surface area of the fuselage? How many extra pounds of weight are we talking about if I go down the aluminium path?

And in case you are wondering why I’m trying to ‘reinvent the wheel’, well, I’m Australian, and fabric planes seem to be a liability in our harsh sunlight.

Also I’d like to be able to fold up my own panels for this build, and remove them later for annual inspections.

Any thoughts at all appreciated :-)

James

The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Yeah, so the pagination didn't come out too well when I hit "post":

Aluminium 2024, 0.016":
              lbs/ sq foot: 0.239
              lbs/ sq yd: 2.07
              oz / sq yd: 33 (no paint)

Oratex:
              lbs / sq foot: 0.118
              lbs / sq yd: 1.06
              oz / sq yd: 17 (painted)

Comment

I don’t have any numbers for you. However, it was popular to metalize the Stinson 108, which is similar in dimensions to the BH. I know when I was looking at Stinsons, this was a fairly common discussion. Might be an easy Google search?
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• BTAZ
                  BTAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I owned a Stinson 108 for a while so followed the plane fairly closely; While it was popular in the 1950's to change from fabric to aluminum because pf the short lifespan of cotton fabric, those planes are less desirable today as they are heavier than the fabric planes and have steel tubing that hasn't been inspected in 60 years.

Hello James. Here in the USA - fabric covering is really the preferred material for covering bush planes. While not knowing anything about your background and experience building experimental planes - you would be wise to stick to the plans. Many unintended things happen when you start changing things.

And welcome aboard. You are the 3rd owner of that kit. Mark

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mark - and yep, I hope I'll one day get the old girl into the air! :-)
                  James

Comment

Working...
                  X