Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing tip 4 place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing tip 4 place

Have A model wings and looking for wing tips. Bob said his B model tips can be modified to an A model. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions for wingtip options? I called TQ, they said 3-4 weeks out for theirs. As an alternative I am considering flat plate stol type tips. Bob’s thoughts they will reduce wing area which would go against my goal of low speed performance. Picts are stol types I have seen.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Google will give lots of results of if you search “spill plates” I’m going to install spill plates just to get flying and will build a set of hoerner tips.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Google will give lots of results of if you search “spill plates” I’m going to install spill plates just to get flying and will build a set of hoerner tips.

Comment

Tip plates are probably as good or better than Hoerner or stock tips aerodynamically, plus they are lighter, simpler, and cheaper than probably anything else. Just not as cool looking.

Comment

I always assumed I would go with stock tips to start with and then experiment with others. One idea is to simply build another full length wing rib with no lightening holes, and essentially make a wing top that extends the wing 12" or so and ends it in a flat plate top rib or spill plate. Tips add area to a bare wing, and an old study I read suggested the rectangular tip offered the best performance for the given wing area. I would love to hear what others have learned on this.

Comment

I haven't researched this for a couple years so I don't remember everything but what I do recall is spill plates were high drag and reduced effective wingspan (making it shorter than actual wing span) but they help keep the aileron working at low speeds. They are light, easy to make and I think they look cool. Hoerner tips increase effective wing span and are lower drag than square or round tips.

I'm going to start with spill plates because they are cheap and easy to make but Hoerners are on my short list.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
              Tip plates are probably as good or better than Hoerner or stock tips aerodynamically, plus they are lighter, simpler, and cheaper than probably anything else. Just not as cool looking.
              ^ Only true for very light or very slow aircraft.

Comment

Some call it a winglet, and its' shape is a bit complicated, but it functions as a tip plate. A BH probably doesn't need the sweep, but starting it fairly far aft probably helps reduce the interference drag. A319-A321, and the A380. Its greatest effect happens at 135-250 KIAS and that is what it was designed for.

I can't think of any other modern airplane that uses tip plates. I think a Beech 1900 had some on the horizontal tail as one of 100 bandades they put on that plane.

Comment

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

The second set of pictures is from Boeings latest wingtip for wide bodies. 777-300er, 787, and 747-8. I think Boeing might owe Steve Wittman some royalty money.

Comment

Building an 0-360 plane tailored for low end speed and low gross weight. Spill plates interest me for low weight. Considering using Bob’s carbon tips for light weight. I have A model wings. Has anyone adapted his tips ( B model) to an A model wing. Powder is dry at this point,

Comment

Thought I'd share a pic of the splate wing tips I built for my BH. These are just temporary tips so I can get flying sooner and build some carbon fiber hoerner tips next summer. These were made from scrap pieces and didn't take very long to build. I modeled them off a local Supercub that is equipped with splates. I think they look pretty cool.

47105242_10215844108962981_7809257245807476736_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_eui2=AeH-q5GRCbXjiZU35LqHfwURWwkq1M5XEj5zXTjYY3yVuqD9UBufRbgQbqLNuz5immUwNcn1-DwqOajTYoViRvAYDcsD6XF7UB6T_Xt8ddchgA&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=ef45d2e51bb387414de241866b1dd

Comment

They look great! I'm especially looking forward to hearing comparisons after flying these and the carbon fiber Hoerner tips.
                            Last edited by marcusofcotton; 12-03-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Depending on your experience with them I may do the same thing just to get in the air quicker.

Comment

Working...
                              X