Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk STOL mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the increased gross weight of the model 5 are the more extreme (plan altering) STOL mods off the table? Such as fowler/slotted flaps, wing extensions, etc.
    I'm assuming the other mods will be fine since it uses the same wing as the model B.

Comment

• Are there any updates on the double slotted flaps? Thanks Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Roberts View Post
        Are there any updates on the double slotted flaps? Thanks Dave
        Sounds like they have done what was expected, small reduction in stall speed and much flatter deck angle (about 50% closer to level). From what I understand, testing finished a long while ago.

I expect this plane will come up for sale sometime in the future, for unrelated reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Battson View Post

Sounds like they have done what was expected, small reduction in stall speed and much flatter deck angle (about 50% closer to level). From what I understand, testing finished a long while ago.

I expect this plane will come up for sale sometime in the future, for unrelated reasons.
          Even if you got no reduction in stall speed, getting the deck angle down when flying slow would be a tremendous stol mod.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree, that is my main interest in this product.

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was over at Carbon Concepts the other day and he has some really interesting new flaps on his cub. Single slot with a kevlar based compliant hinge for the second. I think the install would be wildly simpler on our airplanes.

I guess through testing they were finding the second slot was doing nothing at all for keeping the airflow attached at our slow speeds.

I really want to get the deck angle down to. I'm landing tail first about 100% of the time if I want to be slow. A water landing acceptable deck angle is around 50kts. Pretty fast.
            Last edited by zkelley2; 12-22-2020, 10:47 PM.

• Thanks. Yes deck angle would be a big deal.

Comment

• Is it the slot between the wing and the first section of flap or the combined angle of the sections which allows for the lower pitch attitude for a given speed, or what? Is there any video or photo documentation available to show this simpler installation with this Carbon Concepts flap? It’s pretty neat stuff. Planning big wheels on my Patrol, and I’m thinking the pitch attitude will determine what can be done within my comfort zone. I’m going as stock as can be done to start, but I’ll be paying attention to thiS thread with much interest.

Comment

• You may want to consider looking at Shane Madson’s hinges. Although perhaps Randy’s may be similar?

We create new builds and are also available to assist you on your build. We pride ourselves on exceptional quality and our attention to detail is second to none. In an ever-evolving industry, Mad Custom Cubs is committed to providing the leading edge. We are known for thinking outside the box and creating "one of a kind" builds.

(https://madcustomcubs.com/product/fowler-flaps/)

If you look at some photos of his cub you’ll see how the hinges roll the flap aft as they deploy.
              Last edited by 500AGL; 12-30-2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• zkelley2
                zkelley2 commented
                Editing a comment
                The only flaps I see a picture of are the Doug Keller flaps that airframes alaska sells.

They are very different.

• 500AGL
                500AGL commented
                Editing a comment
                Zach I don’t know what photo you are looking at but I don’t believe Shane has any Keller flaps. On his current cub he has his flap hinges.

• 5F5CA41E-794A-467E-987B-E15C2FC52BA7.jpeg803AA97D-86FD-4910-AD48-7A0A28815A59.jpeg Here Zach.
              You can zoom in and see the hinges he makes. It a poor mans fowler bracket. Offset like a Husky and uses your existing flap.

2E726E48-BB9A-49C7-993B-66702FD59929.jpegEE16B463-275E-41CD-A602-117E4685FE40.jpeg

Comment

• AlexJ
                AlexJ commented
                Editing a comment
                That is one Gorgeous bird!

• As it’s designed for existing cub mounts it’s not a plug and play to a Bearhawk. But one could take the concept and fabricate their own.

Comment

• I guess my STOL mods will be limited to VG's and maybe some nice wingtips. I am not sure the VG's are that effective on the B model wing.

Comment

• Battson
                  Battson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They haven't made a wing yet which VGs won't improve upon. It's all down to the way they work.

• That’s one seriously cool looking plane.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Originally posted by Battson View Post

It looks like the bird hit the market. Looks nice. Interesting cowl flaps as well. I wish he was on the forum to discuss his build. I hope all goes well for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by svyolo View Post

It looks like the bird hit the market. Looks nice. Interesting cowl flaps as well. I wish he was on the forum to discuss his build. I hope all goes well for him.
                    Wow, and for a price! I mean, I hope he gets it. I'd sell mine tomorrow for something near that.

Comment

• That is quite the plane!

Comment

• Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post

Wow, and for a price! I mean, I hope he gets it. I'd sell mine tomorrow for something near that.
                        Show ponies have previously fetched north of $140k for looks alone. This plane has tangible value in terms of a long list of real modifications which cost the seller a lot of money to purchase and install, plus countless time in literal research and development as discussed here in this thread. I believe this person doesn't have the repairman cert and started with a stock plane, so needed to have these installed by others - as would anyone else buying a completed plane.

Therefore the price reflects the real cost to create such a highly customised and extremely high performance machine, without starting from scratch / kit.

For comparison, take a look at Greg's new videos of Bushwacker II on his YouTube channel "mauleguy". This Bearhawk 4-place has every mod which Greg included on Bushwacker and a lot more, apart from the extended wingtips (which you will soon be able to bolt on for next to nothing in the scheme of aircraft price tags). To me this plane is worth about what he's asking. I too hope he gets something close. Our plane isn't too dissimilar to this machine - in terms of performance I think we do a little better as we're lighter, but I am not selling

Just gonna put these here for the record:

medium_image_1629343_12_1609367237.jpeg?5345.jpg

medium_image_1629343_13_1609367237.jpeg?7373.jpg

medium_image_1629343_15_1609367235.jpeg?644.jpg

medium_image_1629343_16_1609367234.jpeg?8743.jpg
                        Note the revised gear design.
                        Last edited by Battson; 01-10-2021, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X