Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk STOL mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Battson View Post

Show ponies have previously fetched north of $140k for looks alone. This plane has tangible value in terms of a long list of real modifications which cost the seller a lot of money to purchase and install, plus countless time in literal research and development as discussed here in this thread. I believe this person doesn't have the repairman cert and started with a stock plane, so needed to have these installed by others - as would anyone else buying a completed plane.

Therefore the price reflects the real cost to create such a highly customised and extremely high performance machine, without starting from scratch / kit.

For comparison, take a look at Greg's new videos of Bushwacker II on his YouTube channel "mauleguy". This Bearhawk 4-place has every mod which Greg included on Bushwacker and a lot more, apart from the extended wingtips (which you will soon be able to bolt on for next to nothing in the scheme of aircraft price tags). To me this plane is worth about what he's asking. I too hope he gets something close. Our plane isn't too dissimilar to this machine - in terms of performance I think we do a little better as we're lighter, but I am not selling

Just gonna put these here for the record:

medium_image_1629343_12_1609367237.jpeg?5345.jpg

medium_image_1629343_13_1609367237.jpeg?7373.jpg

medium_image_1629343_15_1609367235.jpeg?644.jpg

medium_image_1629343_16_1609367234.jpeg?8743.jpg
    Note the revised gear design.
    In the US you only need the repairman cert to do the condition inspection. My grandmother can do all the mods and mx to my airplane she wants. Just can't do the condition.

Comment

• What’s the purpose of the gear re-design ? Is it a weight saving ?
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        A cabane is a lot stronger. Lot more drag to.

• whee
        whee commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d like to see a buckling calculation on that style cabane vs the current round tube BH shock strut. I’d swag the BH strut is a fair bit stronger. That shock rod is pretty small is is definitely a weak point.

• I looked for the plane on Barnstormers but did not see it. I assume it sold? What was it listed at?
      N678C
      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• Your right, no longer listed. Price was $195K. If it is sold, would sure like to know for how much.

Comment

• Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
          Your right, no longer listed. Price was $195K. If it is sold, would sure like to know for how much.
          I looked at the ad the day it was listed and a few days later the ad was gone. I was stunned. Awesome for the seller if it sold and awesome for the buyer who got a cool airplane.

If there was a buyer that was a day late...I’ll sell ya mine for a deal. Or I’ll build me another and sell it to you in a couple years.😜
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know if I would sell mine at that price, once the chips were down...
            Once you value your time (fair value) the plane owes you a lot of money. You probably couldn't build one for that money if you were paying for skilled labour and all those mods. This leads to a discussion about pricing a custom STOL build with third party labour - probably a different thread!!

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. Mine is for sale every day for that price. I'll even throw in a set of pstol flaps.
            I'll build another.

• 500AGL
            500AGL commented
            Editing a comment
            Still for sale. https://www.facebook.com/13347573041...395559447/?d=n

• The other point I want to reflect on:

Many expert observers speculated that the Bearhawk would run out of elevator authority if slotted flaps were installed. With elevator gap seals and elevator VGs, this was not a problem on this particular machine. This is great news for anyone else wanting to enhance their flaps. I think this is the only real weakness of the Bearhawk family of designs, high nose AOA at landing because the flaps aren't slotted (whereas a Maule's flaps are). Converting to Maule style flap hinges would be an easy and literally bolt-on modification.

Further thought:
          This Bearhawk had a stock trim system.
          As far as I know, the (former?) owner never thought the plane pitch-sensitive in the cruise, noting that his cruising speed was about 115mph given he liked to run LOP and has 35" tires with a cabane L/G. I suppose a faster cruising plane would become pitch sensitive with those gap seals and elevator VGs installed. I am tempted to install those items.

Comment

• Originally posted by Battson View Post
            The other point I want to reflect on:

Many expert observers speculated that the Bearhawk would run out of elevator authority if slotted flaps were installed. With elevator gap seals and elevator VGs, this was not a problem on this particular machine. This is great news for anyone else wanting to enhance their flaps. I think this is the only real weakness of the Bearhawk family of designs, high nose AOA at landing because the flaps aren't slotted (whereas a Maule's flaps are). Converting to Maule style flap hinges would be an easy and literally bolt-on modification.

Further thought:
            This Bearhawk had a stock trim system.
            As far as I know, the (former?) owner never thought the plane pitch-sensitive in the cruise, noting that his cruising speed was about 115mph given he liked to run LOP and has 35" tires with a cabane L/G. I suppose a faster cruising plane would become pitch sensitive with those gap seals and elevator VGs installed. I am tempted to install those items.
            The bearhawk isn't pitch sensitive unless you're in the back quarter of the cg range. If you're flying around mostly empty like a lot of people do especially for max performance you'd never notice.

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Good notes

• zkelley2
              zkelley2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, and it's really important to remember when we're doing our flight testing, you need to do it at different weights and all the CG extremes.

• Battson, I’ve been trying to find a Maule locally to look at but no luck yet. Judging by internet pictures, which are significantly lacking in detail, putting Maule style hinges on a BH would be fairly easy. Get after it would ya! 😁

Comment

• Someone post some maule hinges, I'm about to start on my wings.

Comment

• I wouldn’t do any expensive mods to the Bearhawk. Extended wingtips, gap seals on the elevator (that one will create problems with the old style trim tabs),vg’s and bush wheels will get you in and out of any strip that you need to. Spend the rest of your money on av gas and learn how to fly it. You can get $20,000 in mods pretty fast. I can just about guarantee you the guy that spent that 20000 on av gas and practiced will kick your butt on landing and taking off. The Bearhawk is a good airplane and more capable than most pilots. Not that I haven’t toyed with the idea of improving the flaps. But in the end it just doesn’t seem worth it. This thread started out with wanting to land and take off light in 400 to 500’, heavy 700 to 800. A bone stock Bearhawk with a 540 will do that effortlessly.

As far as the Keller flaps go. I talked to the guy that has them on his bearhawk. All said and done that was a $20,000 mod. I can go find a strip a hundred feet longer and buy more Avgas for that. A lower deck angle would be nice, but with 900 hours and over 3000 takeoffs and landings somehow I’ve gotten by without them.

Comment

• Sir Newton
                  Sir Newton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I reviewed some flap modifications with 71yr old aerial spray applicator with 17k+ hrs spraying fields in the Alberta /BC foothills. My friend knows how to fly heavy low and slow. He looked at the flaps on the bearhawk model B wings & said there is no need to change anything. Plenty of flap for that little plane. You will not be able to use what you have. No need for more.

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Uh... ya that's not true at all. Just about anyone would benefit from a lower deck angle on landing.

• Awesome! Thanks. Those pics are massively helpful to me.

Comment

• I see what's going on, but it would be hard to tell how much it would help without actually trying it, and it could absolutely end up being not worth the time/effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by schu View Post
                    I see what's going on, but it would be hard to tell how much it would help without actually trying it, and it could absolutely end up being not worth the time/effort.
                    Your totally right, it might not be worth the effort. I’ve been digging into texts that are focused on flap design and the difference in lift at the trailing edge between a slotted flap and a plain flap appears to be significant. To me this is what matters. I don’t need the plane to fly slower; being able to land at minimum speed without the tail touching first is what I’m looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by schu View Post
                      I see what's going on, but it would be hard to tell how much it would help without actually trying it, and it could absolutely end up being not worth the time/effort.
                      Here is a video of a Maule and a Bearhawk flying the same speed, similar wingspan, similar weight, and within 30 seconds of each other - same conditions.

The main difference is the flap design, barn door Bearhawk vs slotted as shown above. Look at the difference in deck angle.... there is a noticeable difference.

The Maule pilot can see where he's going over the nose, the Bearhawk pilot has to look around the nose or use a little sideslip. Having flown both planes, I there is a difference in deck angle.

Last edited by Battson; 01-28-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X