Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Facebook group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk Facebook group

For anyone on Facebook and interested I started a Bearhawk group. The intent of the group is just for fun/motivation/and ease of sharing with each other. This forum is the best place for technical/how-to discussions. Any technical discussions on Facebook get lost so easily that it makes sense to not have those discussions there.

I started the group when I was down on motivation and making little progress on my project. There are very few of us on the group but it is still fun to see what others are doing. There pics/videos have been very motivating to me.

Only requirements to join are that you own a BH, either flying or in progress.

Share ideas, ask questions, get motivation, share progress and stories from building and flying your Bearhawk. To join the group you must answer the membership questions.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Plus the implied requirement to join Facebook?
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
      Plus the implied requirement to join Facebook?
      Haha, yes. But if you haven’t joined Facebook I’d recommend not. I wish I’d never joined or bought a smart phone...😐

Comment

Yeah, well, there is that Facebook thing.

What’s a smart phone?

Bill

Comment

• JimParker256
          JimParker256 commented
          Editing a comment
          And THAT is why your Patrol is "flying" as opposed to all those of us with smartphones who are "in progress"... LOL

Originally posted by whee View Post
        For anyone on Facebook and interested I started a Bearhawk group. The intent of the group is just for fun/motivation/and ease of sharing with each other. This forum is the best place for technical/how-to discussions. Any technical discussions on Facebook get lost so easily that it makes sense to not have those discussions there.

I started the group when I was down on motivation and making little progress on my project. There are very few of us on the group but it is still fun to see what others are doing. There pics/videos have been very motivating to me.

Only requirements to join are that you own a BH, either flying or in progress.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1966619296714518
        I`m not a member of Facebook...so I don't know what I`m talking about....but when I click your link it forces me to join. can you make it public so I can peruse and not have to join?

or is it a private group you're trying to start? if so I`ll have my wife join and peek over her shoulder...
        Last edited by way_up_north; 12-02-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          You and I are in a similar position! I created a pseudo-anonymous fb profile for subjects like this. Seems to be working

Funny how the Facebook discussion turns technical so fast - the page almost needs a sticky disclaimer to remind people like me!

You're dead right Jon, technical content there is wasted, it'll be almost impossible to sort and find later. Good thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post

I`m not a member of Facebook...so I don't know what I`m talking about....but when I click your link it forces me to join. can you make it public so I can peruse and not have to join?

or is it a private group you're trying to start? if so I`ll have my wife join and peek over her shoulder...
          I set the group as private for a few different reasons but let me reconsider that position.

Battson, I’ll see if I can figure out how to post a sticky. I don’t think technical posts should be deleted if they happen but I really hope people will have those discussion here.

Comment

I think on Facebook, public/private just determines whether or not non-members of your group can see the posts. I'm pretty sure you would have to have a Facebook ID to follow and respond to anything even in a public forum. But then again, Facebook doesn't follow any of the conventional rules, so I could easily be wrong... (At my pre-retirement job, Facebook was always the illustration given to our developers of "how not to do it" when it came to security, user interface, and application updates.)
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I think your correct Jim. I’m just not sure if we want Joe Public to see the posts and have to ability to copy the information and save photos.

Comment

Whee, I wasn't advocating for making the group public - most of the "good" Facebook groups I'm in are set to "private" by invitation only. They are far less contentious than the rest of Facebook.
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Thought I’d bump this just in case some of you guys missed it. Our Facebook group is growing and it’s been fun to see the posts. I’ve been letting pretty much everyone in, figure it makes since to share BHs as much as possible.

Most of my posts/pictures are stuff that isn’t cool enough to post on the forum but since it’s so easy I’ll often post to the group the same pictures I share here.

If your on Facebook please join the group and share your BH experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                    Thought I’d bump this just in case some of you guys missed it. Our Facebook group is growing and it’s been fun to see the posts. I’ve been letting pretty much everyone in, figure it makes since to share BHs as much as possible.

Most of my posts/pictures are stuff that isn’t cool enough to post on the forum but since it’s so easy I’ll often post to the group the same pictures I share here.

If your on Facebook please join the group and share your BH experiences.
                    What ever your reasons are for starting a new group...you should consider a few things....

90% of bearhawk plans holders...builders and flyers do not participate.....anyone ever ask why such a low participation rate....for a plane.....thats been around over 20 years

I`m going to give my opinion on this....over moderation....

you and I locked horns because this site was not following its own forum rules...If you read those rules....its pretty loose and fun....a place to talk about avition and the bearhawk....

but in reality this site is the factory site..with an undertone to promote Quick built kit sales...ect....with a ton of un-written rules that a lot of us learn the hard way and then feel un-welcome....

So you dive to the defense of this site to defend rules that are not written anywhere....I respond cause I`m that kinda person...then the factory dives to your defense and gives me the cold shoulder...its a very weird love triangle...

I try to participate to raise post count and interest....but my enthusiasm on the bearhawk....not welcome here....ive become the 90%....

Example: .I come on here....point out that Eric`s build manuals are out of date and dont include the new "B" Bravo wing...plus are missing a ton of small hints and tricks(why dont we fix that)....and I get treated like a lunatic escaped from the asylum....

Reason: This site claims to be a Bearhawk communitee like RV-Airforce...but in reality its the factory site...so anything that might lure builders away from buying a Quick built kit is seen as taboo...

Here is my solution:

This site should be the factory site with support for quick built kits....full stop....they can be true to their mission....with no more of this un-written politics...

another site....built just like Vans-airforce....should be started.....maybe by someone like you

Us scratch builders can go there and not have to walk on egg shells....old builders....new builders....a fun place to be true to the forum rules this site has....that site will have all the links to this site....no hard feelings....business is business....we all get along....some people build kits some don't...some buy parts...we all get along like a family for the sake of the best interests of the bearhawk....

in-stead you are splitting already thin soup.....with another over moderated site....

so why don't you make some money....lots more friends....start the bearhawk version of Van-airforce...

if you don't do it....i`m going to do it.....

good luck over there on Facebook....
                    Last edited by way_up_north; 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Way_up_north, I think you and I have had a significant misunderstanding of each other. Hopefully someday we will meet around a campfire, both arriving by BH, and we can become friends based on our love of aviation and other similarities.

I haven’t done any moderation on the Facebook group, haven’t deleted any posts or anything. I’ve only declined one persons request but that was because I thought it was a fake account.

If you do start a new forum I wish you the best of luck. Although I have a VAF account I strongly disagree with Mr. Reeves’ business model and will never pay a dime to be a part of a community that charges its users whom are the content generators.

My reasoning for starting a Facebook group is because posting is so simple. I feel like we miss out on a lot of fun posts because posting pics/videos from a mobile device to a forum isn’t simple affair, on Facebook is it just a couple clicks.

Honestly I just want to see more pictures and videos of people flying, building and enjoying their BHs. It keeps me motivated and hopefully will stave off the crazy thoughts I have of selling mine and buying another boat. 😬

Comment

I'm starting to think the problem is under-moderation rather than over-moderation.

way_up_north, there is a group of folks who started a group that you might like, at http://bearhawkgroups.com/
                        It sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

Just to clarify for the record, this site is not for kit builders only, in any sense. Over the years I've come to realize that the line between kit and scratch builder is very gray anyway. All builders and Bearhawk fans are welcome, as long as contributions are on-topic, respectful, civil, and do not advocate unsafe or illegal choices. Rewriting the site rules has been on my to-do list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I was working on other things that I thought were more important, but I'll expedite it to the top and make a new post momentarily.

Whee's Facebook group is another tool in the builder communication toolbox that is not a replacement or alternative to this site. Personally, I appreciate that he started it. It's a great place for things that do not need to be archived, though things like that are welcome here too, subject to the conditions above.

To clarify, Jon (whee) has not had anything negative to say to me about you Michael, but other builders have. It has been said that your tone is divisive and not polite. There are no complaints about the content of your ideas, only in their delivery. There is disagreement with your ideas for sure, but that's not cause for moderation. Disagreement is always welcome, especially if it is delivered in a constructive and civilized way. But it's also important that the disagreement be met with more civilized discussion and not defensiveness. In our interactions here we must channel our favorite respected stoic statesman (woman?) in our replies, and construct them as though their audience will be someone we respect and value. Because our audience is absolutely folks that we respect and value, our fellow builders. There will inevitably be cases where we fail to do this because we forgot to, or because we were in a bad mood. In those rare cases, we make a withdrawal on the rapport and equity that we have contributed to the community. We build this bank of equity by helping others, and making helpful and motivating posts. We build rapport and credibility by building and/or operating Bearhawks. We'd like to hear about your airplane construction, and are happy to help when we can. There have been many cases where we are instead hearing about other things from you, without being convinced of your standing to express those things.

We've never banned anyone before (except the darn spam robots, which we ban regularly). I don't want to have you feel like you are being over-moderated. But at the same time, we must not allow a toxicity that will jeopardize the community that hundreds of people before you have worked hard to create. How are we to know when we've reached that point? I don't know. At times I feel like we've already passed it. I'm spending so much time making posts about the vibe of the group that I'm tarnishing the vibe. Please take to heart what I'm saying. Tell us how we can help you build your airplane more, and talk less.

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post

so why don't you make some money....lots more friends....start the bearhawk version of Van-airforce...

if you don't do it....i`m going to do it.....

good luck over there on Facebook....
                          Sounds like you need to visit/join the Unofficial Bearhawk group at http://www.bearhawkgroups.com/. It has a much more liberal content base (I use that word literally) that may suit your conversational needs more appropriately.

Christopher Owens
                          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
                          X