Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine designation and name plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine designation and name plate

Is there any FAA guidance with naming an engine modified to experimental? Looking through lycoming engine designations my engine is now closest to the IO-540D series, has the same rpm limit, compression ratio and spark advance. So I am thinking XIO-540D, or IO540D EXP. Does someone know where to get a new aluminum nameplate made up?

Maybe call Bob because this is part of his bread and butter.

On engines that have been modified via STC they stamp over or use a vibrating etching pencil to write the new engine model. If I do anything I'll just etch EX at the end of my engine model: IO360KB-EX
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      I hadn't thought of asking Bob, thanks

Attached is a photo of the data plate that accompanied my 'Bob Built' O-360.

I've been told to remove the factory data plate, if the engine no longer qualifies as Certified. I've also been told to keep the data plate on the engine to maintain the lineage for future parts or information requirements. I'm not sure if the name of the engine is important, but I'd be sure to make a permanent notation in the aircraft records that describes it (as well as you can) for future reference.

Bill
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      I also was told to remove the original data plate, I plan to keep it with the original log books.

Is this something that's required? Do auto engines used in experimental aircraft need to be similarly stamped? I thought the one of the benefits of experimental is we could power our planes with a rubber band if we wanted to and it wouldn't matter.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

What you are trying to do is maintain the value of your engine. Documentation here is the name of the game. It’s important to show why the engine is exp. in some cases the changes may improve the engine and therefore its valve. If you just mark it exp. without good documentation a potential buyer may be wary of the engine and possibly with good reason / possibly not but he has no way to know. Also your service will be easier as you will be able to review what was done. Hopefully this will not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
        Is this something that's required? Do auto engines used in experimental aircraft need to be similarly stamped? I thought the one of the benefits of experimental is we could power our planes with a rubber band if we wanted to and it wouldn't matter.
        You’ll need to designate the engine when you register the plane. The engine doesn’t have to have a data plate on it. If you want to call it "Dave's Rubber Band" and the DAR accepts it, I guess you'd be good to go. What I suggested is more about planning for future reference. The better you document the details of the engine, the less you'll need to remember.
        Let’s say the crank seal starts leaking. They’re fairly easy to replace, but How are you gonna figure out what seal to get? What if you enjoy the 'Hawk' for 5 years and decide to build another, so you sell this one. The next builder needs to know how to figure out which seal to get.
        "Auto engine" you say? I'd think it would be even more important to document what you could about the power plant! Let’s say it’s a Chevy LS conversion and you need some sensor. What year? What version? Think of the possibilities!
        To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, what we’re talking about isn’t required. It just might come in handy, though.

Bill

Comment

My Lycoming came from a certified aircraft via a different experimental aircraft. It is a 1959 O-360-A1A and still has the original data plate even though its been to three engine shops since it was first hung on an experimental aircraft. There is plenty of notations within the log book(s) that make it very clear the engine no longer meets the TCDS. The last engine shop wrote in their entry "experimental engine ..." I don't believe you are required to remove or alter the data plate.
          Scott Ahrens
          Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Besides building engines for 25 yrs at Western Skyways, John is an A&P. He thoroughly documented the overhaul to new limits in a new logbook. Included is all the parts invoices. The only thing besides upping the compression and rpm that makes the engine experimental is the non certified accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
              Is there any FAA guidance with naming an engine modified to experimental? Looking through lycoming engine designations my engine is now closest to the IO-540D series, has the same rpm limit, compression ratio and spark advance. So I am thinking XIO-540D, or IO540D EXP. Does someone know where to get a new aluminum nameplate made up?
              Lycoming calls the experimental engine I am purchasing from them a Thunderbolt Extreme Series YIO-540-EXP. Not sure what the "Y" stands for.
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Where I’m from it can only mean, “Y’all.”

Comment

• davzLSA
                  davzLSA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You must be from my neck of the woods Ray?

I figurd the Y meant Yippee!

That would make it a (are ya ready?). A YIPPIE-I-O-540......

Sorry..I couldn’t help it...

Bill

Comment

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I sure am glad you hang around here Bill.

• Ray Strickland
                  Ray Strickland commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very good!

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ----- 😎 -----

I got the number for the DAR I will most likely use. He wants a data plate on the engine with RPM limit and spark advance info. He said XIO-540D designation would be fine. Does anyone know of a business where I could get a custom data plate made? If I make my own and try to scribe it, would probably be illegible.
                Last edited by rodsmith; 02-12-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Rod,

Check in your area for a trophy place, most have small CNC routers that can engrave metal data plates in any font and size (up to 3" x 5" card). If not ping me and there is a shop here in Wichita I could help with.

Andy

Comment

• rodsmith
                    rodsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good idea, thanks.

As a alternative to the local trophy shop try http://www.engravers.net/.

Good place that does good work.

John Ciolino
                  patrol

Comment

Working...
                  X