Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Baffle Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Baffle Material

On the last big hurtle here and was wondering if the majority were using .032' 2024T3 for their baffling material? The one that came off the engine I'm using was .040 and had quite a bit of damage/cracking. I don't believe it fit the engine very well considering the loads I'm experiencing when I put the parts on the cylinders. I'll use the old stuff just for templates.
    Thanks
    Steve W P203

Many of us use the Vans baffle kit. For the money it sure beats doing it the hard way .

Comment

I used 0.032 2024 T3 for my baffles. I did some looking and couldn’t find a good consensus on what people recommend. Some recommend 3003 but it work hardens quickly. Other recommend 6061 or 5052. I couldn’t make heads or tails of it so I used material I already had. The baffles that came on my engine were 0.032 but I don’t know the alloy.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

6061 or 5052 will hold up longer than 2024T3. Less likely to crack. Although it can still crack. Mark

Comment

Thanks Guys.
        Whee, I’m exactly where you were. I can't satisfactorily confirm what’s best or determine what material this old baffle is made of. Problem is I have enough material on hand to make it out of 2024 or 5052. Some old builders still say 2024 but I agree with Mark that the softer stuff should be more forgiving. I clamped a piece of the old baffle in the vise and broke it with 4 shallow movements which makes me believe it’s 2024 though it’s likely hardened. Decisions, decisions.............

Comment

I agree with Mark also. I’d pick 5052 since you already have it.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
          X