Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Maule M-7 235 price???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Maule M-7 235 price???

I came across this Maule Brochure...wanted to compare the performance of my Bearhawk with the M7-235. I almost dropped my IPad on the floor when I saw the “starting price” at $317,900.00...Omg.
    I’ve built mine for about 1/4 of that price...and I’m getting better performance out of it. They spec the empty weight at 1605 lbs, for a useful load of only 895 lbs...
    Keep chugging away...Mike.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

There's a reason experimental is booming. A new 172 is over 300k as well. For a much less capable airplane than an M7.

Comment

Burl in Chugiak AK is making/selling pretty sweet Aeronca Sedans updated with modern goodies for about 245k. Sounded like a lot until just now. Still no match for the BH.
      Almost flying!

Comment

I remember saying they'll never sell those outrageously priced Carbon Cubs. Ever notice how many of those are around ? Boy was I wrong about that.

Comment

In the early 80s you could buy a new M6-235 for $33,000. In 1984 I bought a 77 Maule M5-235 IFR equiped with 700 hrs on it for $19,000. Makes me quite nostalgic.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            Even in today's money corrected for CPI, that's only $100,000.
            The raw materials are cheaper than ever too, corrected for CPI. I wonder what drives the price increases.

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            Labor costs here in the US. Skilled labor availability (or lack thereof) here in the US. Very few people want to go into the skilled trades, even though they can make more money than the average college graduate these days... There's a bunch of good reasons Mark G set up the Bearhawk factory in Mexico. He's paying those guys a fair wage, and they are incredibly skilled, and very proud of their work -- with good justification. The kits are an amazing value.

Gosh I'm in the wrong line of work.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

We visited the Maule display at Sun and Fun last year. The sales guy's last name was "Maule". The MX 7 on display had a IO-360. We asked what the cost would be to upgrade the engine the next size up. IO-390 (I think). Anyway, we were told the price would an additional $30K. Still scratching my head over that one...
            Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

American Champions continue to be the best value for production tail draggers. I see a fully decked out Cirrus is now $950K.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
                American Champions continue to be the best value for production tail draggers. I see a fully decked out Cirrus is now $950K.
                I have a good friend that just purchased a brand new SR22 and paid well over $900K.
                Rob Caldwell
                Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                EAA Chapter 309
                Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
                  If you look at the utility of a scout, I don't know how it's worth any money. Full fuel and not even 2 FAA people. No thanks.

If you want to do genleman's acro or give tailwheel endorsements, then the citabria, decathlon and scout make sense. But not as a go somewhere and do something with it airplane.

Comment

• JimParker256
                    JimParker256 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't understand the utility comments when it comes to the Scout. With 830 lbs useful load, and 70 gallons of usable fuel, you'll have 420 lbs for pilot, passenger, and baggage, which you can fly well over 1000 miles. The Denali Scout loses 20 lbs, so no baggage with two 200 pound people... But with either airplane, 70 gallons is a LOT of fuel, and like many utility airplanes, you can carry a little bit for a long way, or carry a lot for a shorter distance.

Now if you are actually talking about the new ACA Champ model, I can understand your concern. That model only carries 287 lbs with full fuel (only 18 gallons). The original Champs (with the A65 instead of the current O-200)were almost 200 lbs lighter. Those early Champs theoretically had a max payload (full fuel) of 402 lbs (1220 lbs GW – 740 lbs EW – 78 lbs fuel = 402 lbs). That would appear to allow for two 200 pound people and two water bottles. (Of course, real-world empty weights for those older Champs are typically 100 lbs heavier due to Ceconite instead of doped cotton, so not too many 400-lb UL antique Champs exist in the wild...)

• spinningwrench
                    spinningwrench commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not sure what numbers you are looking at. The Scout has tremendous utility and payload and is an extremely popular back country machine. Probably the leading model that ACA manufactures.

The sad thing about general aviation manufacturing or maintenance is you can have your Learjet worked on at a cheaper or at a better rate than you can have your Chevy. Most of the GA manufacturers don't pay as much as automotive. My first aerospace job was a production wrench for $15.10 an hour in 1991 as a newly minted A&P...28 years later entry jobs are about that.

I guess I'm getting old because in the late 80's when i was in high school you could buy a Super cub with decent times for $20K.

Comment

Old?, cry me a river. I'm trying to finish my wings before I die.
                    Gerry
                    Patrol #30

Comment

Haha!! Likewise!
                      Mark
                      Scratch building Patrol #275
                      Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
                      X