Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacuum driven alternator and oil filter adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum driven alternator and oil filter adaptor

So you can't use the factory horizontal oil filter housing with a 540 on a bearhawk because of firewall clearance issues. I'm not a big fan of the airwolf setup either. So something has to be done to move the filter's orientation or remote mount it, either casper labs or b&c and I know of no other remote housing option other than airwolf.

That said, has anyone ran any of the b&c adapters with the 462 alternator on the vacuum pad? I'm trying to avoid a belt driven if possible.

I've talked to b&c, they thing the only option is a 410 and an airworlf filter, but I don't want either of those products. The 410 isn't enough amps and the airwolf....

I'm thinking something like this might work as a remote mount kit. I'm fairly sure small block chevy's use 13/16-16 threads.

Last edited by zkelley2; 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM.

Any reason for not wanting a belt driven alternator? B&C's opinion of their own is that belt driven are more reliable than the shaft driven. I didn't ask them for an explanation, I just took that at face value.

Comment

When did B&C come out with the 462? It wasn’t available when I was shopping but I sure wish it would have been. Looks like a great option.

You have the thread side right for sbc and if that’s what the 540 uses I’d give that adapter a try.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I’m using an off the shelf auto rebuild I converted to externally regulated for my main but my aux will be on the vac pad. So I’m interested in this and that remote filter you linked. Love to see how it works.
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
          Any reason for not wanting a belt driven alternator? B&C's opinion of their own is that belt driven are more reliable than the shaft driven. I didn't ask them for an explanation, I just took that at face value.
          Three things I like about the vacuum alternators. They tend to weigh less, you can make cleaner baffling without the belt. And mostly, in what it takes to replace a belt. I always put a second on and tie wrap it in, but once you have to use that one, the prop has to come off, which I find to be a pita for something as simple as an alternator belt replacement.

I don't plan on having two alternators, I just like the idea of a vacuum pad driven one better.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
            When did B&C come out with the 462? It wasn’t available when I was shopping but I sure wish it would have been. Looks like a great option.

You have the thread side right for sbc and if that’s what the 540 uses I’d give that adapter a try.
            No idea. It's pretty pricey though. I feel like if all you're doing is a backup the 410 or even the 8 amp one would work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post

That wasn't on their website two months ago. Does look like an attractive option.

Comment

Given all the options for electric instruments, why go with vacuum instruments? Not trying to be a smart-a••, but asking a genuine question.
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think they are talking about alternators that go in place of the vacuum pump?

• JimParker256
                  JimParker256 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd never heard an alternator driven by the engine accessory pad where the vacuum pump might normally reside referred to a "vacuum-driven alternator" before... Learn something new every day!

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jim, that's probably not the right term. It's usually put as Vacuum pump accessory pad driven or just AND2000 drive. Which, I think actually includes the bottom right pad as well, which isn't used on most installations, but is mostly commonly used for an engine driven hydraulic pump.

I was about to order an alternator soon. It wasn't that long ago that I was on B&C's website but they have a lot of new stuff. I never saw the 462 before. They are pretty proud of it, however.

Comment

Working...
                X