Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cordless Drill Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drill Replacement

My cordless drill burst into flames yesterday. Anyone got recommendation(s) for a replacement brand/type? Brushless?

Bergy

I love this Bosch.

I reviewed this particular drill at the end of my latest video update:

Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Have had good luck with Ridgid. The new brushless ones have great battery life. The free battery replacement is great, I have used it many times in last 20 yrs.

Comment

I totally agree with Rob. I sold all my Makita stuff about 5 years ago and went to a total Bosch platform. These 12V drills are remarkable in power and are very light weight. Also they do as well or better than the old 18V NiCad drills I had: https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...ivers-35696-c/

I also have the Bosch 18V drill and other 12V tools, but for around the shop these are great.
        Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 08-20-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I have had great luck with ryobi. We have 2 impact drivers and 2 drills. We use them almost every day. The oldest set is at least 10 years old and going strong. Mostly the impact drivers get the worst abuse, but the drills have seen some things too. They are very affordable too.

In the other end of the scale, i bought a black and decker set once. I doubt it drilled 5 holes in it's lifetime. Worst tool i ever owned.

Comment

I've been using Ryobi with excellent results for > 12 years. All of the recent stuff I have purchased are brushless. I find them to be excellent value.

Comment

Thanks all ... going shopping tonight

Comment

For those of you who have the Ryobi One system tools, I found replacement batteries that work well and seem to last at least as long, but are far less expensive ( $58 a pair) than the official Ryobi ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I, too, like my Ryobi drill. On the second set of batteries (Lithium) since the first ones gave up the ghost. Nice to know that the current generation batteries fit the previous generation.

Side note, my neighbor is an engineer with a major tool manufacturer and told me that Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are all built in the same plant.
                  Christopher Owens
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                  Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                  Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

For cordless stuff I like Dewalt as they have made adapters for newer lithium batteries to fit the older style tools. No planned obselesance. I have a few that are 20 years old. I have never had one fail. Batteries are bloody expensive though.

I didn't know about Rigid giving free battery replacement. I've got a 90 degree impact driver with a dead battery, for 10 years now.

Lots of good tools out there now for a long time. I have a mix, except cordless.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                      For cordless stuff I like Dewalt as they have made adapters for newer lithium batteries to fit the older style tools. No planned obselesance. I have a few that are 20 years old. I have never had one fail. Batteries are bloody expensive though.

I didn't know about Rigid giving free battery replacement. I've got a 90 degree impact driver with a dead battery, for 10 years now.

Lots of good tools out there now for a long time. I have a mix, except cordless.
                      I too am a big DeWalt fan. I have lots of yellow tools!
                      Almost flying!

Comment

Hitachi is the best cordless brand over here.
                        My brother has a 1/2 inch impact driver that he uses every day as a marine mechanic.
                        He once moved a 20 ton Wartsila engine with this particular tool and a length of 20mm threaded bar.
                        (he also used his hitachi angle grinder to cut the threaded bar into 3 inch chunks as he bottomed out the sockets :-)

All the blokes on the ship took one look, and went off and bought the same bit of kit.

About 4 years ago, they changed the shape of the battery, so Tom went out and bought the newer model impact driver.
                        He thought that the new one didn't have the same ticker as the old, and he told them so.
                        Mr Hitachi needed convincing, so he put the two drivers together, and drove the new one backwards.

They just gave him a new one on sight.

James
                        The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

My 10 year 18 volt Dewalt drill went south last week so this thread came up just at the right time for me. Went out today and bought a Ryobi one+ 18 volt brushless drill/driver kit. Wow, I've been missing out. I had no idea a cordless could put out this much torque. 460 in-lbs with a 2 speed gearbox. Only been playingwith it for a couple of hours but I'm impressed. $130.00 from Lowes. Comes with 2 lithium batteries.
                          Gerry
                          Patrol tandem #30

Comment

Working...
                          X