Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Cable Tension Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Cable Tension Gauge

I've been reading the different posts here on cable tension for the controls. All have been very good and helpful for when I complete my rigging. One thing I was surprised that was not mentioned is the actual tension gauge. I've not seen any recommendations or examples of what others are using to get the correct tensions. I looked up "cable tension gauges" on Spruce and Amazon and those are pretty pricey for occasional use. I also tried to find this information in both builder manuals and Bearhawk Tips. Thanks.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Would you like to borrow mine? It's very similar to ACS part number 12-19200
    Last edited by jaredyates; 12-06-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be great, Jared! Will your gauge go as low as 24-25lbs? Mark mentioned in a previous post that he likes to go under the recommended 30lbs for a lighter feel on the aileron controls. Thanks!

In Kitplanes Magazine there was an article on how to build a cable tension tester and details on how to calibrate the tester. It could easily be built for under $50 in materials and parts.

I am sorry that I do not have the date of the article but I do have the the article stashed someplace. I believe the article was printed a couple years ago.

If I can fine the article I will post the date.

Comment

I have the bt-33-750 and tensioned iaw recommendations from 43.13 for the cable thickness.

They go on sale from time to time. Check spuce and aircraft tool supply. Might still be some black friday deals or something.

Comment

I just bought the tool from ACS, but was sorry after I started using it. The BH only has 2 tensioned loops. Ailerons and elevator. You should easily be able to hang a known weight (5 lbs?) in one spot on each loop and measure the displacement. The ailerons on the rear cable inside the fuselage, and the upper elevator cable as it comes back from the forward bell crank behind the stick.

Comment

Mininor note: After readings Mark Gs, recommendation on aileron cable tension and looking at the places avaliable to measure cable tension I chose to tension our aileron cables as is done on the Luscombe airplane. You tension the cables so they just barely slap when you swiftly move the stick in one direction then jerk it back on the opposite direction. Seems to have worked well.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
        X