Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron Balance Tube - a few more pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron Balance Tube - a few more pointers?

Hi Guys,

sorry I've been a bit quiet on the forums lately - I've been building up the second wing like the first, and so there's been less "uncharted" territory to navigate.

I've google searched this a bit, but can anyone help me with my aileron balance tubes?

1) I have 1" holes in the aileron nose ribs, but I inherited a 3/4" tube full of melted lead ready to drill out. Do you just pop rivet this smaller tube on two sides (seems dodgy), or do I make a supporting doubler at each rib, or do I just recast the whole tube at 1" diameter?

2) There seems to be confusion as to whether you extend the whole tube past the inboard hinge, or should I cut it into two sections? I don't think I can make the weight requirements if I shorten the tube to match the ribs between the two hinges.

Let me know guys, and I'll add the answers to Jared's extremely helpful beartips page.

Thanks in advance,

James

The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

I think you want to recast into a 1" tube and can't imagine you'll have any trouble making the weight. Mine were not full at all. There is much more volume in the 1" tube.

Comment

I've been reading on this subject as I am approaching the aileron portion of my build as well. Bearhawk.tips, Beartracks, the manuals all provide great details on loading the tubes with weight. And when finished with that task, end with "slide in place and pop rivet with stainless rivets". I am unclear as what and where I am pop riveting. I assume I am taking a small piece of .025 aluminum and riveting to the ribs to serve as a cap? Anyone have a picture of this? Thanks!
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Rob, the size of the hole for the counterweight present in the leading edge of the aileron has changed over the years. So make sure what size aluminum tube you need. I suspect you need 7/8". After filling the long tube and inserting it - drill some holes into the counterweight tube from the outside in each aileron nose rib. Stainless pops are OK and I have used sheet metal screws also. You want to secure the counterweight tube well so it will not become loose over time. And do not use a fastener with a large protruding head as the aileron nose has to clear the trailing edge of the wing as it moves. Mark

Comment

• James
          James commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for all the help guys :-)

Mark - when you mention clearance of the fastener head to the trailing edge, I have another question for this area: there's a "step" in the trailing edge, which accommodates the different chord lengths of the aileron and the flap. Setting up the flap hinges to have an even span-wise gap, the inboard edge of the flap ended up close to this step, about 1/16". Do I need to ease this back to 3/16" or 1/4" like the clearance for the trailing edge? The only time it will touch is if the flap hinges float axially.

Or is this not worth worrying about?

James

Rob,
        The holes for the weighted tube are at the very front of the aileron nose rib such that 2 rivets will be through the skin and the rib flange at each rib. One from the bottom and one from the front. No end caps used.

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
          ... Anyone have a picture of this? Thanks!
          Recognizing that this may already be apparent, if you're a visual person like me, here's the reference for attachment in the plan. The orange arrows point to the rivets, and I believe they are in every rib. This *is* the Model B plans, not sure if it's different on the A. And I imagine the beartracks tips show how to cap the tube.
          IMG_6452[31599].jpg
          John Wiltberger
          Model B - #1544B
          Maricopa, AZ

Comment

• robcaldwell
            robcaldwell commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent!

Thanks guys!
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

On the topic of weight, I want the weight to be adjustable, that way after covering the aileron, I can remove unnecessary weight.

It was an educational experience getting lead to melt into a 4' long aluminum tube that I had on hand. I ended up with a steel tube about 12 inches long split down the middle that had a similar ID as the aluminum 7/8" tube. I clamped the 12 inch tube with hose clamps, sealed the seam with drywall joint compound, then poured lead into the tube. I can adjust each of them in the future by shortening the lead cylinder as needed.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

The final weight of my balance tubes were 2340g. I am using Oratex which is 140g/m. I riveted them in with 1/8 s/s pop rivets which were covered in an anti galling compound. The tubes are 3/4” and neatly slide into the factory drilled holes.

I have since covered my ailerons and they are perfectly balanced.

3652BA6D-E1C3-4F60-8A39-EB03B28C5CD0.jpeg4F20385D-4D5A-46CD-B5E3-19D384C8964D.jpegC3B28D31-699A-40E4-B6E4-5B607E621F0D.jpeg29FD8451-164E-4509-ADA9-5F2C19642B04.jpeg
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X