Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance while building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance while building

What did you all do insurance-wise while building ? Did you get full cover for the kitset and parts ? Or not bother ?
    I’m thinking along the lines of covering for fire/natural disaster etc.
    Thoughts welcomed.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Not sure what your options are in NZ, but here in the US I went thru EAA (partnered with my auto insurance company) and got a.not-in-motion builders policy that eventually I converted to an in-motion policy once my project became an airplane and started flying.
    Todd Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know thanks.

I honestly cannot remember which insurance we used, but we used it! I believe it was EAA. They offered a builders insurance just for this purpose. The problems came when we tried to insure them for flight. They required time with an instructor who had time in type. That was almost 4 years ago so things may be a lot easier now.

Comment

I went through EAA as well. Company was Falcon Insurance. I got a policy for the price of the kit but will probably increase once I have a engine.

Comment

If I was in a place subject to lots of natural disasters I might have thought about insurance. The US gulf coast comes to mind. Where I am, the biggest threat to my kit is.......me. I don't think anybody would insure that. At least not anybody that knows me. LOL I guess that would make me "naked".

Comment

I have been trying to buy the project insurance which EAA promotes. It turns out that at in Canada, that while they do advertise this insurance, they don’t really offer it except at the discretion of the underwriter. It’s more of a “bait and switch” programme, which is very disappointing. EAA funnels clientele toward certain brokers, who in turn try to capitalize on “In Motion” policies, home policies, etc. If you try to get builder insurance though, they put your request out for tender to underwriters who really don’t know anything about homebuilding and don’t seem to want to carry the policy. They ask a lot of questions about your flying experience, accident history, recent flight training and other things which have no bearing on the risk they are undertaking. A builder policy should cost roughly what a kit car or boat storage policy costs for equivalent asset values, but It’s several times more expensive. In my case, $1500 per year was quoted.

personally, I don’t think EAA should do business with underwriters who won’t carry builder policies at reasonable rates, regardless of how well they are compensated by those underwriters. I think that if an underwriter is going to receive free marketing from EAA for home, life, or auto insurance, they need to reciprocate by making tailored builder products available at fair prices.
          Last edited by Pbruce; 07-09-2020, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            This is exactly what I’ve found in NZ so far.

I live in the USA. I have procrastinated on moving ahead on a quote for builders insurance that I got thru the EAA (Falcon Insurance) in May. (Thanks fo the reminder.) The policy cost was $600 and says "Physical Damage;H. All Risks Basis" Not in Motion and is for a value of $100K. A lower value will lower that cost.

I believe that "Physical Damage Not in Motion" will cover stupidity. If is does not, what does it cover? I wrote to Falcon Insurance just now to confirm my belief. I know that I am my own threat. I expect my insurance to cover damage to my kit things like trip and fall while carrying a wing, a heavy iron bar falling onto a fuselage, my workshop catching on fire, or damage while moving the project someday to the airport..
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 07-09-2020, 11:01 AM.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• gregc
            gregc commented
            Editing a comment
            I would be interested to see how they respond. You don't really know for sure until you submit a claim but my (Falcon) policy says ¨Coverage H - All Risk Basis Not in Motion". All Risk Basis generally means any risk that the contract does not explicitly omit.

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            I just heard back from Bob Haag at Falcon. He confirms that the policy covers the kit if I trip and fall while carrying a wing and damage it, and if I damage the kit while moving it to the airport. However.....Harken Diligently folks....if I drill a hole in the wrong place, it is not covered.
            Last edited by Bcone1381; 07-09-2020, 11:07 AM. Reason: clarification

• Flygirl1
            Flygirl1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Soooo, if I trip and fall into my wing with a drill in my hand???? ;-)

I used https://www.parrishoneill.com/ for kit insurance. Very affordable.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Rob, could you give us an idea of how “affordable”? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pbruce View Post
              Rob, could you give us an idea of how “affordable”? Thanks.
              Roughly $53 per $10,000 of coverage annually.
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Thanks. That is quite helpful.

Comment

Nev - I got hull not in motion insurance, or similar, through AON NZ (Dunedin office, Craig is the man to talk to). I think it was about $540 per year in 2013.

Comment

• SimonNicholson
                    SimonNicholson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was getting mine through AON too Jono. It started out $1000 per year in 2017 and was $1900 this year. Getting pricy for ground cover only.

• Battson
                    Battson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yikes....... hasn't the market collapsed lately.

Man, we are getting hosed in Canada! The EAA provider quoted me 3 times that! “Canada is a different market” they say. So what though? It’s a low-risk market with stable USA-standard infrastructure.

I don’t think EAA is meeting the objective they are trying to fulfill. If you are going to channel people toward certain brokers or underwriters, you need to obtain certain reciprocal commitments for fair pricing. EAA is effectively funnelling prospective clientele toward brokers who are thumbing their nose at the core business they are supposed to be providing, while taking the ancillary business which is being handed to them. It’s quite disappointing.

Thanks to everyone who shared rates. If there is a fair rate provider in Canada I would very much like to know who it is.
                  Last edited by Pbruce; 07-15-2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
                    Nev - I got hull not in motion insurance, or similar, through AON NZ (Dunedin office, Craig is the man to talk to). I think it was about $540 per year in 2013.
                    Thanks Jon, I’ll give him a call.
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                    YouTube - Build and flying channel
                    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Pbruce View Post
                      Man, we are getting hosed in Canada! The EAA provider quoted me 3 times that! “Canada is a different market” they say. So what though? It’s a low-risk market with stable USA-standard infrastructure.

I don’t think EAA is meeting the objective they are trying to fulfill. If you are going to channel people toward certain brokers or underwriters, you need to obtain certain reciprocal commitments for fair pricing. EAA is effectively funnelling prospective clientele toward brokers who are thumbing their nose at the core business they are supposed to be providing, while taking the ancillary business which is being handed to them. It’s quite disappointing.

Thanks to everyone who shared rates. If there is a fair rate provider in Canada I would very much like to know who it is.
                      I actually made a similar comment to Bob Mackey at a SportAir workshop one time. I told him that I went to the Falcon booth at AV and asked them about aircraft A, B, C, X, Y, and Z. They wouldn’t insure any of them. But they were happy to insure me in a C-172. When asked how they were the preferred vendor for experimental but wouldn’t write one, he tap danced around the answer.
                      Christopher Owens
                      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
                      X