Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Galvanic corrosion between aluminum and stainless used for the firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanic corrosion between aluminum and stainless used for the firewall

Hi to all, what did you do to prevent galvanic corrosion between the aluminum angle and the stainless firewall?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Gerhard,

Galvanic corrosion happens between to different materials when touching and if an electrolyte (water, etc) is present. If you isolate them with a good paint, this should do the trick. This is a common practice on general aviation and large commercial. Same goes for carbon graphite and aluminum...sometimes you can find specs for it online

Andy

Comment

Nothing...left it as is.

Comment

I think the quantiity of aluminum in the boot cowl and wings makes the anode (aluminum) big enough to far outlive me. Galvanic corrosion is occurring, but at a slow enough rate that I time out before the boot cowl or wings. I am more worried about a situation where me, the wings, and the boot cowl all become un-airworthy simultaneously. If the size of the anode (aluminum) was much smaller, it would corrode away sooner.

You can use steel fasteners in aluminum, but not vice versa. Big cathode/little anode, and the little anode won't last very long. It seems like nobody else worries about it, so I guess I won't either. I thought about it myself a while back.

Comment

Working...
        X