Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anodised baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anodised baffles

I’m considering anodising the engine baffles and a few other parts. My understanding is that anodising can make the aluminium more brittle. Has anyone done this ? Is the increase in brittleness a problem ?
    Any other issues that I should consider?

Thanks.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

With the baffle parts being subject to so much vibration, I don't think it's advisable. It can be a challenge to keep them from cracking under the best of circumstances. What is the upside, cosmetics?

Comment

Any set of baffles will crack into uselessness long before they corrode away. I'm not sure there's a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
        With the baffle parts being subject to so much vibration, I don't think it's advisable. It can be a challenge to keep them from cracking under the best of circumstances. What is the upside, cosmetics?
        Yep cosmetics, and simplicity.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Simplicity would be no additional coatings. Best corrosion protection would be alodine and paint. I realize it's an individual preference, but for me it's an easy choice when cosmetics undermine function.

My experience was that I had to make a few adjustments to the baffles in the first 10 hours. Trimming, sanding, spacing, etc. Might mess up an anodized finish. For your consideration.
        Thanks too much,
        John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
        BH Plans #1117
        Avipro wings/Scratch
        http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that’s certainly a good consideration John.

I realize it's an individual preference, but for me it's an easy choice when cosmetics undermine function.
        Thanks for the thoughts and feedback Jared (and zkelly2).

I spoke with one chap here in NZ who had his Auster baffles anodised around 20 years ago (with great success) and he was trying to convince me of the attributes, hence why I thought I’d put the idea on the forum here and try to get a larger data sampling.

As always, I appreciate all thoughts and ideas.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          If you think about it, the Van's baffle kit is 2024 Alcad. It has a thin coating of oure aluminum as a protectant for the alloy, which anodizing will accelerate its' oxidation and erosion. You would be trying to protect the 2024T3, by ruining its' protective surface. Might look good though.

I painted the baffles on my RV-8 and wish I hadn't done it. Flying through rain and bugs resulted in chipping the paint off in places and it's not a good look. When I do my baffles for my Companion kit, I'll put a two part epoxy primer, probably a light gray, on them. I primed my -8 with Akzo epoxy and it's tough as nails. Almost impossible to get off without sanding it off. I'll probably use Dupont DP50LF in gray. Just a thought to consider.

Comment

On my RV10, I've just left them bare Al. You can make the engine bay look beautiful (I had a lovely gold painted Aerosport IO540), but it all looks like crap when you start plastering the RTV everywhere to seal the baffles

Comment

I learned the hard way aluminum needs to be chemically and physically etched no more than 24 hours before primer and paint...
            Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
          X