Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to Buy

While I wait for my Companion kit to arrive (sometime after the first week in June), I am attempting to make sure that I have all of the "stuff" I need to get this party started. I've got the hardware package from Wicks so that's a start. Tools aren't an issue, but I am wondering about other supplies like Adel clamps, etc. Building a tube fuselage apparently requires a multitude of Adel clamps. I have a few left over from the RV-8 kit but that's apparently not nearly enough of them based on the videos I've watched.

So, what quantity and size of Adel clamps would be recommended? Other stuff?

Thanks!

For adel clamps, I used the plans to see what the tube sizes are at the locations I thought I would be needing them. I probably ordered 20% more than I needed but would rather have too many than not enough. Couldn’t tell you off hand what that amount of Adels was. Probably different for everyone.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Plan on a lot of -12s in padded and unpadded (plain steel clamps). and -6s for all your fuel lines and brake lines (padded). My A&P likes to put the plain steel clamps on top of a layer of teflon tape to prevent wearing the tubing - this does make the fit tight for a -12 but you can make it work. I bet you could start with 20 of each of those. You likely will want some -4s for smaller lines like pitot tubes or mall brake lines and a few -3s or even 2s for wiring. Wish I could tell you how many I used, but its a bunch.

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      You want lots of -10, -12 and -14 with Adels, especially if you use some with the rubber removed. You might need just a few -16
      In the smaller sizes, I think it was -4 for brake lines and -6 for fuel lines, can anyone confirm?

They are terrible things though. Good grief I hate them!

The black ones also stain the tube paint and can stain fabric, after a long time, so if you can get some of the white ones that is good.

The first task will be unboxing, and then putting the fuselage on the wheels (assume you start with the fuse, most do - safety learning ground than the wings)

I suggest you should start learning the task in detail, and figuring out what tools you are going to need, the surplus bolts you need to compress the springs, etc. It's anticlimactic when you have this big new toy ready to start work, and you find you're missing a bolt 3 hours into the first task - assembling the shock struts.

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
      For adel clamps, I used the plans to see what the tube sizes are at the locations I thought I would be needing them. I probably ordered 20% more than I needed but would rather have too many than not enough. Couldn’t tell you off hand what that amount of Adels was. Probably different for everyone.
      Oh yeah, they're a pain, and I have two hemostats, and the modified vice grips with welded tabs, not to mention all manner of pliers and safety wire. I've had to use them all. I'll just buy a load of them in all these sizes from McMaster-Carr and be done with it.

Comment

Hi Mark I recommend you analyze it system by system as far as what clamps you will need. For example the fuel system uses -6 tubing and probably most of the tube the fuel lines will be attached to are going to be 3/4 tubes so refer to ac43-13 to know what interval you would need the clamps. And everyone has a different fuel system so no one can really say exactly what you would need.

Comment

I started out buying the big AN bolt,nut and washer assortment from Spruce. I ended up with a lot of extra bolts, but the convenience was well worth it. Also got the cotter pin assortment.

Comment

Fortunately, I have a lot of hardware left over from my RV-8 build, including the usual nuts, bolts, washers, cotter pins, etc. I did buy the hardware kit from Wicks so I think I'm ok with hardware at least at the beginning. Of course there is a big difference between building an RV and a Bearhawk and what caught my eye was the plethora of Adel clamps on the Bearhawk as opposed to the RV. Mainly, I only used Adel clamps on the RV FWF, so this is why I asked the original question. I was wondering what else might be a surprise.

Comment

I find that Adel clamps find uses outside of aviation that I never imagined... My shop supply is constantly depleting as my wife and I find non-aviation uses for them. Tractors, bikes, grocery carts, etc. all seem to love Adel clamps. Buy more than you think you'll need...
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Definitely get an Adel Clamp tool. These things improve the quality of life beyond comprehension

3547FD80-D689-463C-AB07-D97013894B0E.jpeg
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• robcaldwell
                  robcaldwell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have one! Love it!

• Mark Dickens
                  Mark Dickens commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got it and yes it does make a difference. Hemostats are also a good tool for tricky areas

• Bcone1381
                  Bcone1381 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After years of fights and arguments, I now feel "at peace" and respect the Adel Clamp. I apply the tool above to the Adel Clamp, secure it closed using .020" saftey wire, align and adjust its position, install the bolt/nut through the holes, clip the safety wire and tighten the bolt. The fight prior to this was fitting the bolt in the holes with the hemostats or the "Vice Grip" tool in place, while the two holes were in alignment, then having enough threads showing to get the nut on the bolt without the heliostats sliding off, and the clamps spring action flinging the bolt flying across the workshop. Two clamps could be a :30 minute task for me. I now leave the hemostats in the tool box and am surprised how fast it goes and how much I appreciate/respect the Adel Clamp.
                  Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-30-2021, 06:57 AM.

Originally posted by JimParker256 View Post
                I find that Adel clamps find uses outside of aviation that I never imagined... My shop supply is constantly depleting as my wife and I find non-aviation uses for them. Tractors, bikes, grocery carts, etc. all seem to love Adel clamps. Buy more than you think you'll need...
                I bought about 232.00 worth of them from McMaster and added to what I have already, I think I have that covered for now

Comment

Working...
                X