Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vans rv-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely like the flap handle location

Comment

Been waiting to see where this would arrive on the spectrum of backcountry planes. Clearly it's not going to be much of a challenge to the Bearhawk's core advantages, there's really no overlap in aircraft design whatsoever. Certainly it will be a popular option, with people who would have bought other aircraft in the market otherwise.

At first glance it looks small-ish. Like they are trying to compete with the already oversaturated 2-place market. Hard to see any difference between this and a Murphy Elite. It appears they've thrown away several of their classic RV advantages, such as cantilever wings and thus higher airspeed, so they'll be in with the masses here.

Of course it'll be very easy to build and the plans / kit will be extensive and complete. The RV name will sell a few.

Sprung main gear is almost always a weak points in the backcountry from a maintenance and piloting perspective, harder to land well and not good on some rough surfaces. Likely a choice to preserve airspeed.

Looks like it has an oleo damped tailwheel spring assembly, which should be good. It looks like they got the flaps right too. The wing doesn't look very long though - again, probably a sacrifice to preserve airspeed.

Comment

Apparently, it's not spring gear; there are shocks mounted internal to the fuselage. 19 seconds into the video, you can see the boxy fairings around where the gear meets the fuse. This has been discussed over on vansairforce.
        Cheers,
        Kevin Ford

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          That's interesting, although I suspect the physical structure which restrains those gear legs will still be equally susceptible to the same issues - lots of leverage on the fuselage compared to Cub / Maule / Bearhawk gear...

I think this is more a back-country 'capable' aircraft, in the same way Jeep seems to label their 'sure - you can take it offroad....at least once' platforms as capable. And that's fine. The market is not hurt by more options, and the all-aluminum construction will see some love from those that don't want to learn a couple new skill-sets.

Vans is a learning organization that seems to do a pretty good job of sussing out what went well and what needs some work on their designs, so I suspect they plan on taking the lessons learned on the RV-15 and applying them to a future four place, a tandem, and perhaps a larger platform, assuming there is enough market to warrant the effort.

Comment

Looks more like they were aiming at the RANS S-21 market than the Bearhawk market. I'm sure it will be a nice plane, but like Jay, I don't think it's a real backcountry airplane.
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Russellmn
            Russellmn commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably not a "real backcountry airplane", but I'd be willing to bet it'd go where 90% of the "backcountry" pilots take their Cubs. There really aren't that many places in the lower 48 that require the max performance of a Super Cub or Patrol.

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            Russell, I don't disagree with your premise, but to me, a "real" backcountry airplane (versus "backcountry capable" airplane, as the RV15 is described) is whether you can do so repeatedly, with nothing breaking or falling off the plane... My current RANS S6 is "capable" but I doubt it would hold up to flying in the back country every day, and I would not even consider taking into some of the rocky strips that some utilize on a daily basis.
            Heck, one of my favorite videos shows a nice Bonanza operating out of a series of backcountry strips – and I wouldn't even describe the Bonanza as a backcountry "capable" airplane...!

I predict a major sales success. Thousands of kits will be sold and the completion rate will be exceptionally high. Good for GA. I'll take my welded steel tube roll cage thank you.
          Gerry

Comment

I made the mistake of reading some of the chatter on Vans Airforce site. One guy said this was going to revolutionize backcountry flying! Yeah, don't think so.

Comment

Nice they didn't provide any specs...
              Dave B.
              Plane Grips Co.
              www.planegrips.com

Comment

• Russellmn
                Russellmn commented
                Editing a comment
                They released this video early. Was supposed to be held until Oshkosh, but someone got a picture of it testing and put it up on the socials. So Vans released the video. I would expect a fair bit of info to come at the announcement at Oshkosh.

Originally posted by SpruceForest View Post
              I think this is more a back-country 'capable' aircraft
              I totally agree. That is why I am surprised by some of their decisions! They've gone to the trouble of the oleo springs and a complex slotted flap, but they seem to have left a lot of possible performance gains on the table in other areas. But I will wait to hear the performance specs and handling reports (not from Vans though, of course the test pilot reports at Osh will be shining).

It makes sense they would start with a smaller 2 place to get experience and compete with the mass market - which is mostly a 2 place market of late, if they are successful then a 4 place is the next obvious move.
              Last edited by Battson; 07-12-2022, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• JimParker256
                JimParker256 commented
                Editing a comment
                I suspect that the test pilot's reports will be verified by subsequent pilot reports. Unlike some companies, Vans tends to publish data that is confirmed and even exceeded by folks flying in the real world. That's one of the things that I immediately liked about the Bearhawk series of airplanes as well. I've yet to hear anyone claim that the stated performance could not be achieved... Under-promise, and over-deliver is WAY better than the reverse!

Here is the latest video. Bigger tires flaps extended

Our employees had a chance to see the RV-15 prototype airplane up close and hands-on, and we demonstrated one of the "hidden" features that will make this a ...
              Scott Ahrens
              Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

What a great looking airplane ! I'm sure it'll sell very well - it's got some great features and should be capable in the backcountry too.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Should be a great kit , I’m sure there second model will be even more capable . I’ve built two of the Rv kits there plans and manuals are outstanding. All metal design and I’m assuming torque tube on the controls. I really like the gear and the wing strut location . I bet it will be speedy for the design. Can’t wait to see it person.
                  Bought flying Harmon rocket #11…sold
                  Built and flying Rv8 fastback …sold
                  Built and flying F1 rocket #188… not for sale!
                  Building model 5

Comment

Any fresh thoughts after seeing the recent “first flight” videos? My heart is still with the tube and fabric.

Comment

No doubt Tube and Fabric is the way to go for a true backcountry plane, especially as heavy duty as the BH’s. Those are some nice looking flaps on the RV-15, and a nice big vertical for slow flight.
                      N678C
                      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Originally posted by kberger384 View Post
                        Any fresh thoughts after seeing the recent “first flight” videos? My heart is still with the tube and fabric.
                        I love my Bearhawk too, but the great thing about aircraft is that just because you love one, it doesn't stop you from admiring another

My Bearhawk and I are very comfortable with each other in that regard.

I think that Vans have spotted a market opportunity that has been popularized by the likes of Mike Patey, Trent Palmer, Fly8MA etc, and good on them ! It doesn't need to be the best performing back-country airplane in the same way that a best-selling author doesn't need to be a best-writing author. I think it'll be a hit, and probably a very capable performer.
                        Last edited by Nev; 07-13-2022, 05:52 PM.
                        Nev Bailey
                        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                        YouTube - Build and flying channel
                        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
                        X