Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vans rv-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whee View Post

Yep. When I started into the BH world I was convinced all I needed was a 180hp O360 and still feel like the performance is adequate with a smaller engine. But, when I was flying an O360 BH with a friend in his 540 Bearhawk I was constantly frustrated that he could cruise a touch faster burning 1 gallon less per hour that I was. Unless your flying behind a fuel hungry engine, like a radial, they all put out about the same power per the amount of fuel burned.

I still very much like my Continental IO360 powered Bearhawk but when it come time for an engine there is a good chance it will get a bigger engine.
    I have yet to meet anyone with a -540 who said they regretted the decision.

The -540 engine can be had more cheaply than a -360 in many cases, as they are not in high demand. They can easily burn 7.5 Gal/hr if you like to lean them hard, and still do 100kts.

They are all great aircraft at the end of the day. Some missions overlap, others don't.

I think we might still be talking about the RV-15....?

Comment

I will be driving to OSH today, so I should be able to see the -15 soon if it’s there. After reading comments on how experienced pilots operate flying to the wilderness, I am wondering if the RV15 has been mislabeled. In reality, the airplane looks like it might simply be aimed at those who want an aluminum, high-wing tail dragger that can be easily built. Van’s will sell a bunch. Never mind the bush flying, STOL stuff. That’s just Walter Mitty talking.

Comment

• Russellmn
        Russellmn commented
        Editing a comment
        I think people are judging what is being marketed as "backcountry capable" against a true bush plane as it is used in Alaska. Nevermind the fact that the vast majority of pilots will never fly to, or in, Alaska or the Yukon/NWT/etc where those conditions exist to necessitate a true bush plane with the capabilities of a Super Cub.

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I never expected it to be able to do what a cub can.
        There is no reason at all to give up a ton of speed for the low end if you're not going to, or the airplane is incapable of using it.

The RV-15 just arrived at AirVenture. All pulled rivet construction
      Scott Ahrens
      Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm guessing the kits will use flush rivets like all their other models.

• BravoGolf
        BravoGolf commented
        Editing a comment
        According to Paul Dye they haven’t decided, pulled versus flush

There is something interesting going with the RV15 stabilator … in a aopa video it shows double sided mini-tabs(I forget the name for these flaps) at the end of the elevator… both up and down at the rear edge … maybe someone with a mind for such things can chime in… did they build the current stabilator too small and this gives it more authority?...its a prototype so maybe its sizes will differ from production...or maybe its a way to explore..what a larger elevator would do without building it..just add these strips

link to page with many detailed photos..https://dougreeves.smugmug.com/RV-15...ing-Prototype/

i-n3CQRBv-X2.jpg

Last edited by way_up_north; 07-25-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the doors!

That's a servo trim tab on a full flying stabilizer. The servo tab deflects further upwards as the elevator is raised and vv (opposite to the Bearhawk system). It provides a very nice "feel" to the pitch control. The more the elevator input is increased the harder it's to add more input.

Looks like a gurney flap across the aft edge of the elevator.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Woah that's a very well thought out aircraft design. As Rod said, love the doors. The door latch is very simple.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
          That's a servo trim tab on a full flying stabilizer. The servo tab deflects further upwards as the elevator is raised and vv (opposite to the Bearhawk system). It provides a very nice "feel" to the pitch control. The more the elevator input is increased the harder it's to add more input.

Looks like a gurney flap across the aft edge of the elevator.
          sorry..I should have been more specific...its the gurney flaps as you mention ..is what I`m referring to...they are opposed with them running on the top and the bottom of the stablator/elevator at the rear edge...ive not seen them used like this...the picture only shows them on top...the video shows the bottom opposing one..you can see it at 4:14 in the video
          Last edited by way_up_north; 07-25-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you got it right, they increase the control authority if I understand correctly.

at 4:45 they talk about some of the numbers

Comment

Thanks for the vid! I wonder if that right-angle tab on the stabilator is to prevent the dead-band which is present in some of the Piper planes with full-flying stabs?

It looks like Vans has put a lot of engineering into the gear. There were many comments on this forum about the ruggedness of cubs and Bearhawks over other designs. Perhaps Vans has achieved the “ruggedness” factor after all (it’s a bigger issue than just the gear, of course)

I’m surprised about the exclusive use of pull rivets. I get that many would-be builders think riveting is hard, but a little training overcomes this trepidation. Pull rivets must add significant cost and are cosmetically inferior. Vans knows how to sell kits though.
            I’d sure like to know wing span, area, and airfoil.

Comment

Discussion with VAN’s engineer yesterday indicates they will offer the kit initially as pulled rivets with the option to go to fully dimpled flush aviation rivets if the builder wants. They are experimenting with using a soft, pure aluminum rivet.
            I thought the workmanship for a prototype was superb as it demonstrates the quality of VAN’s prototype shop since the aluminum skins were likely not an entirely prepunched affair. Door entry was excellent and cabin roominess was tremendous for us big guys.

Comment

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              I bet most will opt for flush rivets, I wonder why they are considering pure aluminum rivets, I don't believe any of their other designs use them.

From the RV-15 presentation

Stabilator for better pitch authority
            2 seat plus baggage
            Taildragger first then conventional
            Will be float capable
            Kit will be offered with pulled rivets
            Testing for flush 1/8 soft rivets but can’t promise flush rivets

IO-390 w 80” propeller

140kt cruise speed
            Stall speed not released yet
            T/O and landing under 400’
            45-50 gallons
            Optional long range tanks
            200lb cargo capacity
            Design target useful load 900lb
            Available in 12-18 months
            Last edited by BravoGolf; 07-26-2022, 09:31 AM.
            Scott Ahrens
            Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              140kts... KIAS at 65% cruise? I'll eat my hat!

I bet that's TAS at mid altitudes with 85% or so.

Based on BravoGolf above, this thing will blow the Rans S-21 away.

Vans is the 800lb gorilla in the room, it will sell as many as they can make.

I saw the test wing is 35’ and 170 sq. ft., but they are going to reduce that for hanger usage, still gonna be a lot bigger wing that the S-21 at 141 sq.ft. The main and TW suspensions look great.

I still don’t think it is BH tough, no way a aluminum empennage can be as durable as a tube/fabric.
            N678C
            https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
            Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

WOAH. Check out the color !!

68F4EB7F-A3CA-4979-AD0C-90D3F754C114.jpg
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

Comment

From the RV-15 presentation
                Also, removeable stabilizer leading edge
                One side pitch trim tab, one Servo tab
                Tailwheel has a parallelogram design to keep the steering pivot line constant, with a vertical air-shock.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Regarding pure aluminum rivets since the skins will be prepunched for pop rivets at a close spacing standard semi-hard rivets would be overkill for strength. If you have ever squeezed a pure aluminum rivet it handles like butter.

Comment

• Bcone1381
                    Bcone1381 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll request permission to add some details on rivets. The typical rivet used on our aircraft is an AN426AD flush rivet. The last two letters designate the material. Our AD rivets are made from an aluminum that has a 26,000 PSI shear strength. An AN426A rivet (no D), is manufactured exactly the same, uses a different aluminum (1100 series) and has 16,000 PSI shear strength.
                Working...
                X