Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fatal Crash Patrol N964RS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal Crash Patrol N964RS

Sad news. Obviously something catastrophic happened.

Edited, removed Gryner’s link. See whee’s comment, much better.
    Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 10-31-2022, 01:18 AM.

Skip the Gyder video, IMO. Doesn’t sound like there was a fire but really, everything is a guess at this stage

This article has the best info of the few I’ve read. https://www.abc27.com/news/top-stori...nover-twp/amp/

Sad deal.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks whee. Way better than Dan’s video

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Paul, I was having ill feelings about hosting the link to the other guy.

Very sad news. However very important news for the community.

Comment

A very tragic and sad event on Saturday. Everything was normal until suddenly it wasn't. After a day of flying they were 3 minutes from takeoff on the way home.

There are two gentlemen that helped Ron Snyder build his Patrol that have been enlisted to help the NTSB layout the aircraft wreckage and properly identify the parts for the best possible analysis. At least one of them had already visited the scene to get a first hand look at possibilities, as it's a little bit of an unusual scenario.

This is theory and conjecture at this point, but he is leaning toward tail damage as being the cause of the accident, likely sustained (at least initally) from a bird(s) strike. There were some witness reports of geese in close proximity at the time. Additional damage to the tail may have also occurred, with the result being complete lost of pitch control. Both occupants were rated pilots and had no solution from that point.

A tragic event for everyone connected in any little way.

Hug your family and friends. Every day you wake up is a best day to enjoy those around you.

pb

ps - no sign of fire anywhere, in the air or in the wreckage.

EDIT : We have reason to believe the door cam footage purported to be Ron's crash is false.
      Last edited by 500AGL; 11-01-2022, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Aviation is dangerous. I have personally survived 10-12 "coin flips".Maybe more. Just luck. 2 to the 10th or 12th power. How much luck do i have left? But I still do it.

Fair winds, and following seas to the folks in the accident?

Comment

A bird strike accident happened in 2016 near Birchwood, AK, killing everyone on board a C172.. Very tragic. I spoke to the pilot about a month before the accident to line up some training to get my commercial instrument helicopter rating over to fixed-wing. They had no chance:

Comment

Up here in Seattle we have huge flocks of Canada geese at 200'-500' flying in all directions right now. Would not want to meet up with them.

Comment

This aircraft is on my airport,(N964RS)stored not 100 feet from my back door. I saw them loading up, I waved to them as they left, It never crossed my mind I would be attending their memorials. Ron Snyder was an amazing man, retired airline captain, tank commander in Vietnam, bush pilot, you name it. The bearhawk was the 6th plane he built and his workmanship was incredible, I got the chance to fly in the bearhawk and it was very solid, and well built. We (the pilots and friends at 9N7) believe he hit a goose with the horizontal stab, from that point they were done. Ron didn't jump, his belt was undone and there's a few theories as to why but there's no way he would leave his passenger.
              . Mike Bowen was his pax, he specialized in welding exotic metals for a living, he was going to be on an episode of "monster garage" because of his skills, there was nothing he couldn't build. He restored 2 aircraft and working on his third, had his private and flew very well.
              As for Dan Gryder, he's a piece of shit making money off other peoples deaths, he said 100% it was on fire on the way down, it was NOT on fire at all he knows nothing and the next tragic fatal i read about i pray will be his.

Comment

• m.mooney
                m.mooney commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry for the loss of your friends, tragic. I agree that it is quite plausible that they hit a goose, or ducks. I lost two friends 3 years ago when they hit a flock of ducks in an RV6. Migrating waterfowl are a huge risk to safety, especially this time of year. Keep your eyes open, at all altitudes, and avoid their habitat at lower altitudes.

I’m sorry for your loss. As a home-builder, I’m just a pretender compared to the likes of these accomplished fellows. In addition to and maybe even because of their other human qualities, they clearly exemplified the ethos of air-craftsmanship. Your friends will no doubt be missed in the Bearhawk and the greater aviation community. What a tragic loss.

Comment

Birdstrike risk? 1996, flying in the USMC reserves. Weekend x-country fighting the AF in Ft Walton Bch Fl. Flying back to Jacksonville, florida. 24,000 feet. M.95, very fast. In the span of way under 1/2 second, I see a bird, it passes just right of my canopy. Too little time, I can't respond. Probably an Albatross or possibly a Bald Eagle. If it hit the canopy I wouldn't be writing this 26 years later.

Just dumb luck. I have more stories, which just prove more dumb luck, or big sky, little airplane theory. I have more than half a dozen friends and collegues that were less lucky than I.

But I still want to do it.

Comment

Probable cause according to this report: The pilot’s decision to unlatch his seatbelt during flight, which allowed him to exit the airplane and impact the tail, resulting in a loss of control and impact with terrain."
                  Mark
                  Scratch building Patrol #275
                  Hood River, OR

Comment

according to the NTSB report--- his seat belts being found off--- I'm thinking he unbuckled and maybe opened the door to try to turn his head out to see the tail. Maybe he bumped the rudder pedal or the stick and caused a yaw or a porpoise--- and with the door open and belt off- wouldn't take much to be tossed out.

I remember a guy going out of Orland Executive flying an Aerostar. i think he was doing an overnight check run. It was a 100 degree hot summer day and he had the pilots door open ----- (which was a gull wing door )
                    He was doing a high speed taxi to get to the far end of the runway. He got to the end of the taxiway and hit the right brake hard --- and when he did that it tossed him right out the door. (no seat belt) ---- The prop on those is right up even with the pilot and pretty close too. just a sad accident but preventable.

I guess the only positive thing about this crash is maybe it wasn't an aircraft problem.

Comment

We don't know what happened. We have some evidence. It would be interesting to go flying, bump the stick with the door closed or open and see if this is reasonable.....maybe even apply the laws of physics to that scenario and see if its possible to fall out and still hit the tail, or will a man miss the tail like a one who parachutes out of the aircraft.

I'm still Brainstorming ideas on what happened. Another builder shared with me that when we get obvious ideas on paper then our thoughts are clear to consider new possibilities. I'm not sure how brainstorming an accident can be done effectively using this bearhawkforums.com as a form of communication. But its useful for us as a group to think out loud "yes, thats an idea. What else could have taken place?" In other words keep an open mind....keep watch. Be weary.

In the end we may not know, but we might have a short list with probabilities that we can use to reduce risk.
                      Brooks Cone
                      Southeast Michigan
                      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Falling out the door and hitting the tail does not seem at all plausible to me for a couple reasons. First, the door on a Patrol is two parts with the window hinged on top which can be opened in flight. I would think it would be very difficult to “fall” out of that opening. The door, below the window, is hinged in front which I think would make it near impossible to open in flight. Second, having jumped out of airplanes many times there was never any risk of hitting the tail. Couldn’t touch it if I tried. I suppose that if the airplane was near zero g at the time, the pilot would not fall away but even then it would take a fairly significant deceleration to hit the tail with much force.

Comment

I think it is established in this case that he exited through the skylight.

Comment

Working...
                          X