Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 4" aluminum duct flange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 4" aluminum duct flange

I have a 4" butterfly valve for air supply to the oil cooler. I need a source for a 4" flange to attach to the back of the engine baffling. Spuce and Wicks have sizes to 3".

I think Vans sells one. Probably FWF section.

Comment

• gregc
      gregc commented
      Editing a comment
      I got one from Vans

Airflow Systems specializes in high-efficiency aircraft and motorsports oil coolers. We also offer state of the art aircraft air-conditioning systems. Featuring our own X-Series Oil Coolers, 2002X, 2004X, 2006X, 2007X, 2008X. Also featuring NDM NTP Oil Coolers, 20002A, 20003A, 20004A, 20006A, Aviation, Certified Aircraft, Experimental Aircraft.

Comment

If you have any fiberglass cloth hanging around you can make a flange. I put in a 4 valve bypassing my baffling to try to get my Lancair engine temps above 300 in cruise. I used a roll of 3” cloth and sat my valve on sheet of plastic on a table and waxed the base. Then wet out enough cloth to make 4 laps around the circumference and applied with half the cloth on the valve and half on the plastic as a flange. After it cured i pop riveted it in place.

Comment

My baffle kit came with one. Are you sure you don't have one on a shelf somewhere? Van's P/N VA-187

20230626_155722.jpg
        Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 06-26-2023, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
          My baffle kit came with one. Are you sure you don't have one on a shelf somewhere? Van's P/N VA-187

20230626_155722.jpg
          Yes, sure I didn't get one, will call Van's tomorrow.

Comment

I'm a little foggy about whether the VA-187 came with the baffle kit or the RV10 oil cooler mount?

Comment

You're right Jared, as usual. I ordered the oil cool mount and flange a year ago April. I remember ordering the cooler mount but not the associated flange.

vans.jpg

Comment

Ordered the VA-187, of course it is on backorder!

Comment

• Battson
                  Battson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll order one now too, in case we can hurry up their production run.

3" cooling duct is just not large enough for a Lycoming IO-540....

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
                Ordered the VA-187, of course it is on backorder!
                Ask around among the Vans builders and see if anyone has one sitting on the shelf without immediate need, maybe they can loan you theirs. In return you can carry their luggage to Oshkosh, so that they don't have to spend the whole week with a toothbrush and one pair of skivvies.

Comment

I’m using the Air Flow
                  N678C
                  https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                  Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Working...
                  X