Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Forum Channel for Mishaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your input Scott, your wisdom is valuable as always.

On the point of your friends' safety perception, this is a universal problem with aviation and news coverage. We as people aren't naturally good at estimating risk generally, and especially not risks associated with operations where problems are rare and normal operations occur in the background. I think this is based on our inability to grasp the scope of the normal, incident-free operations.

For example, if a person takes a commercial flight 1-3 times per year, and they see something in the news about a commercial flight having a problem 1-3 times per year, their human brain erroneously equates those two frequencies. Because our brains have to weed out most input as noise, for those not in the air travel system, we forget that flights happen every hour of every single day and night, even the 360 other days of the year that an infrequent flier doesn't touch the system. On days when the person is working, sleeping, having a cookout in the back yard, or making a set of Bearhawk ribs, thousands of successful operations carry on. The brain of the usual traveler doesn't have any way to capture the scope of the sample size, at least not intuitively.

Relating it back to Bearhawk operations, the same is true, on a smaller scale naturally, but things get even more complicated. We know how many airline flights there are so we can do smart analysis of accident rates, but it is always a problem with general aviation that we don't know how many operations or hours are completed safely. This unknown number is the denominator in the fraction that makes up the accident rate. There have been three LODCOG incidents that we know of this spring, but is that three per 100 landings, per 1000 landings, or per 10,000 landings? There is no way to know and even the best estimate may swing widely. Those wide swings make it not productive to think of accident rates in a short term, even when disregarding the cognitive traps in risk assessment.

Another problem is that mishaps can come at random times. If you flip a coin 50000 times, you'll get really close to 25000 instances of heads. If you flip a coin 5 times, it is possible (merely 1 in 31 odds) to get zero instances of heads. The smaller the sample, the more noise we see. Toss in the seasonal nature of operations, which is somewhat mitigated by our friends south of the equator, and we should expect to see very strange patterns. We might go many months or even years without there being a problem, or there might be two in a week. That doesn't mean the sky is falling or that the safety of the airplanes has changed, it's just the nature of random occurrences.

So the reaction from your friends is at the same time very typical, and also not correct. That's not their fault exactly, it's their brain's fault. We get to decide in each case if it's worth helping them learn why they are wrong or not, depending on how good of friends they are and how much energy you have at the moment.

As to your point about brand and the public/private spectrum, thank you for that as well. This is for sure a style choice rather than a right/wrong choice, and while I do disagree I won't say I'm right and you are wrong. If someone reads everything and still feels like the Bearhawk is difficult to operate compared to other planes in the class, I feel like they haven't read everything, and indeed are drawing the wrong conclusions. If other brands work to stifle safety information and that makes them seem safer, I suppose that's a little like one brand exaggerating their performance numbers. Like the coin toss, it may work for a while, but eventually it will play out. People may be fooled but the ones that figure it out will be quite opposed.

Having said that, the Bearhawk is more difficult to operate than the Skyhawk, and I don't think we should kid ourselves or potential customers that it isn't. Especially as off-road airplanes have become internet-trendy, I fear there is a type of pilot who has only ever flown trainers who sees the videos of STOL contests, those pilots yanking controls back and forth and slamming airplane parts on the runway, and thinking the shape of the airplane is the only thing that is different about a taildragger vs a tricycle. Videos of off-airport operations tell the story of the adventure but seldom tell the story of the practice, testing, and work that got them there. The "grind" has a way of getting left out of the story but it's what keeps those operations relatively safe.

We get a whole bucket of "better" our of our Bearhawk than we would out of a Skyhawk, but it takes a little doing and knowing to operate a Bearhawk. I feel like the more open we can be about those differences, the more we can save each other from having to learn from the same mistakes. This can happen with or without members-only access, as can insurance companies reading discussions.

Comment

• BravoGolf
      BravoGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed response. You bring up many excellent points. One point I should have made is both friends are tail wheel pilots.

Budd Davisson's Bearhawk PIREP is worth a read: http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepBearhawk260.html

Comment

It's common to read accounts on the forum of what a capable aircraft the Bearhawk is. I often agree. It's utility is a major selling point and the main reason that I love flying mine.

But some accounts are difficult to replicate. We read of exceptionally low approach speeds, fast cruise speeds, incredible economy, and how shockingly safe it is. We read of bank angles that exceed the 5G load factor rating while just "shuddering and staying in the turn". We read of how it has been flown at pitch attitudes of greater than 50° yet won't drop a wing. We read of its stability in the stall, but aren't told of the CG position and power setting.

We have no forum rules of disclosure, so it's not always obvious if a forum poster is remunerated by a manufacturer. At very best it's a case of cherry picking the good bits.

But these claims are all made in full public view and many of the future builders often start with people perusing this forum, doing their research, so it's only fair that the information they read is correct and trustworthy. I think if we're able to read these sort of claims on the public side of the forum, then we should also be able to read the mishaps on the public forum too.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post

I have an issue with making these sort of claims on the safety and performance of any aircraft, while asking to keep the mishaps away from public view.

This makes no sense. Let's break it into two parts.

Practically none of these accidents were caused by the stalling performance of the aircraft (my comment which you've dredged up without context). All aircraft will stall eventually, this one happens to be very benign - perhaps one of the best.
        Mostly the accidents are pilot error. Posting about it a whole bunch on the forum *might* help, but mostly its about people's individual choices. Many of those accident pilots never participated in forums or had interactions with Bearhawk Aircraft the company.

All the safety reports are already in the public domain.
        Who's asking to hide any information?
        Read above, my point is, by putting it into the members only section (which we already have), it allows more frank conversation and increased learning. I can only see benefits from having it members only. Which would appear to be aligned with the motivations here?

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
          But some accounts are difficult to replicate. We read of exceptionally low approach speeds, fast cruise speeds, incredible economy, and how shockingly safe it is. We read of bank angles that exceed the 5G load factor rating while just "shuddering and staying in the turn". We read of how it has been flown at pitch attitudes of greater than 50° yet won't drop a wing. We read of its stability in the stall, but aren't told of the CG position and power setting.

We have no forum rules of disclosure, so it's not always obvious if a forum poster is remunerated by a manufacturer. At very best it's a case of cherry picking the good bits.

But these claims are all made in full public view and many of the future builders often start with people perusing this forum, doing their research, so it's only fair that the information they read is correct and trustworthy. I think if we're able to read these sort of claims on the public side of the forum, then we should also be able to read the mishaps on the public forum too.
          Please help me understand this. I'll try to summarise - you seem to say:

Some builders are overstating the Bearhawk's limits of performance, possibly because they are being paid by Bearhawk LLC.
          ​This causes prospective builders to get an unfairly positive reviews. Therefore you think they should also read about Bearhawk incidents publicly.
          I am kind of lost.
          I don't see the connection between extreme stall performance and cruise speed, to pilots losing control during landing - Grant literally just said the aircraft is very well behaved. I think we all agree.

So how do incident reports offset unduly positive reviews? Are we talking about undermining the Bearhawk brand to correct this alleged overselling? Surely addressing the bad datapoints is the solution? I believe the published data is accurate, unlike some kit manufacturers.

For me, it's very simple:

Do discussions about incidents need to be public to achieve a reduction in pilot error (predominant cause) or build issues causing incidents?
          No - pilot error and build issues causing incidents only affects Bearhawk pilots, who should be forum members.

Are there possible downsides to publicly discussing incidents?
          Yes - reduced participation / content, possible liability / insurance risks.

As someone who's had a serious accident, this is close to my heart.

Comment

My 2 cents worth -

I am all for increased safety and transparency but the only incident/accident posts I would like to see here are those that are specific to Bearhawk build or design. If it simply reduces to one of these:
            - conventional gear aircraft require different skills during takeoff and landing than tricycle gear aircraft
            - training is good
            - practice is good
            - poor judgement is bad
            - or some form of axe grinding and/or virtue signaling
            Then it belongs in some other forum.

Comment

Several years ago at Sun N Fun they had a redbird x-wind trainer set up with mandatory classroom instruction before you spent time on it, one session on the redbird was equivalent to dozens of x-wind landings. I had a couple sessions on it, it was by far the best thing I ever did to improve my x- wind skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewko View Post
                Several years ago at Sun N Fun they had a redbird x-wind trainer set up with mandatory classroom instruction before you spent time on it, one session on the redbird was equivalent to dozens of x-wind landings. I had a couple sessions on it, it was by far the best thing I ever did to improve my x- wind skills.
                Very cool, was it a tailwheel or tricycle? I have wondered if sims model taildraggers well yet.

Comment

Originally posted by schu
                  One thing that I wonder about is the fact that so many bearhawks fly differently because they are rigged differently or variations in construction. Perhaps it would be helpful to design a document that describes how to validate that the airplane flys as designed, how to correct anything that is off, and work towards making them all fly the same.
                  In the coming months I hope we can start working on some type of resource focussed on flying. I was talking with a Cirrus instructor about their program, and while clearly we don't have the resources to run their program, perhaps we can compile some ground school resources that are easily scalable. Maybe it will be a video series, an ebook, a new section on bearhawk.tips, or all of the above. I think this is something we can make freely available if we can get volunteer Bearhawk pilots to contribute content.

Comment

I think it was a taildragger, most of the work was done with my feet. I had been over maneuvering the ailerons before that training.

Comment

The purpose of this thread is to mitigate damage and harm.

We have established that the problem is us and not the aircraft.

The low hanging fruit (to use wretched modern speak) is;

1 Get good training
                      2 Be current
                      3 Don’t do Touch and Go’s
                      4 Avoid Seal if possible, Grass is first choice always.
                      5 Fly it til it’s stopped.
                      6 Our biggest risk is poor airmanship/situational awareness/ decision making.

Everything else is noise.

Comment

I agree with you Schu. In my case first flights will be on 5000x40 paved strip. Alternative would be 1000x60 of rough grass strip with 25' trees at approach end. Not going to tackle that until I have many hours. When I start flying x-country in the Bearhawk, I will seek out grass strips for fuel stops, not always available. Not aware of IFR appoaches to grass strips either.

Comment

Turf vs Pavement ("seal" is a new term to me): If you're not proficient on turf, stay off the pavement and go do more landings on turf. When you're landings are very good on turf, go practice on the pavement. Match the surface type and conditions to your proficiency. ...and make sure they are a matched set.

Quite some years ago I had not been doing much flying and hadn't done any recent taildragger flying when I bought an RV-4. I practiced, and practiced and practiced. I was very comfortable with it. ...but it wasn't all that long after buying it that I returned to NH from VA on a long flight late in the day with Emilie in the back. On short final I side stepped from the pavement to the grass at our little airport (NH16). I just didn't feel proficient enough for the conditions and my condition to choose the pavement when the grass was viable. I'm certain that if I had needed to land on the pavement, I would have been fine. ...but I had an easier option and used it.

Once in Utah (I've only been there by small plane once), I was at Moab with our Bearhawk and going on a test flight after an oil change and minor maintenance and had the mechanic with me. The wind was howling! 20+ knots, gusty, across the runway. Takeoff on the main hard surface runway was busy, but fine. There is a smaller, gravel, crosswind runway there that was officially closed due to being soft from rain. I landed on closed runway. It was much safer and no one got upset about it. Taxiing back felt more challenging than the landing.

Returning to NH from out Utah/Idaho trip, we departed Johnson Creek and headed SE. We had a decent amount of fuel, but when it was time to plan a stop and looked at the winds, they were something like 26 kts gusting to 38 straight down the available runways. I can do that! Wait. What do I do once I've landed? I can't safely turn off the runway! The only thing I would be able to safely do is take off again. Emilie got busy with the tablet checking weather and found that further down the road, and well within our range, was an airport with fuel and winds that were straight across the runway, but "only" something like 12 gusting to 18. (paved runway) Landing was uneventful. Fuel tanks were filled. We continued on our way.

What's my point? Not sure, but something like the Bearhawk is very capable and I've never gotten into trouble with its handling, but I also consider the context and find a solution that I can handle. Sometimes that solution is to stay on the ground. I don't recall the "stay on the ground" stories as well because there is never much to tell. ...which is a good thing.

Comment

I'll add another opinion just because I logged in and saw this fast growing thread.

Jared stated "Having said that, the Bearhawk is more difficult to operate than the Skyhawk, and I don't think we should kid ourselves or potential customers that it isn't. "

While this is true, we should be very careful on how you make this statement. If you change "Bearhawk" to "Taildragger", it holds the exact same meaning, is more encompassing, and still provides the level of warning to a pilot. Phraseology matters. It's not a Bearhawk thing. It's a Taildragger thing. I didn't get "Bearhawk" instruction when I started flying one. But when I started flying taildraggers I sure did!

Tyson stated "If you're not proficient on turf, stay off the pavement and go do more landings on turf. When you're landings are very good on turf, go practice on the pavement. Match the surface type and conditions to your proficiency. ...and make sure they are a matched set."

This is the best advice, and nearly mimics what I was going to post. Get OFF the PAVEMENT. Afraid of big tires? Don't be, as they are much more forgiving than small tires. Grass slides, pavement grabs. Want to groundloop? Put 600's on a taildragger and give me 1500 feet of pavement and I'll show you how easy it is to groundloop all day long. Want to not groundloop? Install some 29's or 31's and go land on some good grass runways. You may slide around but you would have to really botch it up to go around in a circle.

Peter
                            Last edited by 500AGL; 07-18-2023, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Plus 1 on 500AGL's post! I couldn't agree more!

Comment

Working...
                              X