Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking good, Dave!

Is the small bulkhead on the bottom of the plane at the rear of the boot cowl the way the factory makes it? I recall it was a formed tube on standoffs which was welded on when I made mine.

Need to make sure it is rigid enough on its own to stand up to the tension of the fabric once installed/shrunk without the boot cowl sheet metal there to brace it.
    Last edited by BTAZ; 04-04-2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Hey Brad, I made this bulk head from .040 and attached it to the welded tubing. It is pretty sturdy, I took the tension of the fabric in to account when I made it. I think it will make a smoother transition from the fabric to the aluminum.
      Last edited by davzLSA; 04-05-2022, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Jay and Frank

Comment

• Great, Dave!

I didn't know if the tube was there or only the bulkhead.

It is looking really good!

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have some progress to report, I have the first iteration of my panel done. I say first iteration because Im probably going remake it. As most other things on this build I dont think I have it right unless I do it al least 2 times. I want to rearrange some of the instruments and clean up some things. So here are the pics check them out and let me know what you think.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• Frank
              Frank commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exciting Dave! What is the round instrument lower right "air fuel"?

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Standard configuration would be airspeed on the left, altimeter on the right. Otherwise I like it.

• Hi Frank, yes that gauge is a air/fuel gauge. I have an O2 sensor in the exhaust. It is recommended by the engine designer as opposed to the EGT gauge to lean the engine. Hey Rob thanks for the tip. Im probably going to redo the panel anyway because I want to rearrange other instruments and do a better lay out of the whole panel. I can swap the alt and the as then. I also plan to remove that big ass switch panel, its not really needed.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have progress to report. I have mostly finished the boot cowl. I have a bazillion nut plates installed I have had to assemble and disassemble this thing a million times. But im finally to the point where I need to cut the holes for the gear shock struts. Next up will be to etch, prime and paint all the shinny aluminum. I have pics so I hope yall like them.
              This gallery has 9 photos.
              Last edited by davzLSA; 06-06-2022, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• You are welcome Dav, I hope they are useful to someone else.

Comment

• Oh yes, Very Useful! Nice job Dav.
                Stephen B. Murphey
                Bearhawk LSA
                Building #L-089

Comment

• Hey Guys,
                  Made a little more progress today. I got that pesky panel around the shock struts made and screwed to the bottom of the fuse. I had to make that panel 3 times. Now I need to find the correct size CV boots to finish it up. Anyone have any suggestions on the matter of the boots? I have pix so enjoy.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• The "Pesky Panel" is an apt name for it too.
                    Dave, you might like to enquire among those using CV boots as to how they're working out. They seem to be a very neat solution. Also the rooftop rubber plumbing boots are possibly an even better fit and can be obtained with an aluminium mounting flange.

8D4ECE52-5CFC-462D-A07E-F3372BCE8CD9.jpg
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                    YouTube - Build and flying channel
                    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Hey Nev, thanks for the suggestion. You have a beautiful airplane. It is a standard I hope I can come close to. Ill check out the home supply store if I cant find the correct size CV boot.

Comment

• Hey Guys I have progress to report. It doesn't look like much but I am declaring a major mile stone. Finally the boot cowl and the instrument panel are all put together. I have installed a bazillion nut plates and a bazillion screws that were taken in and ut a bazillion times. As you noticed I have started the fuel system and I have the control system in. Still lots of fun work to do. Once I get the fuel system in I think we may start the covering process. I have 9 pics. Hope yall like them. And by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!!!! If that offends anyone please leave the USA as soon as possible and never come back. Sorry Jared Im just so tired of all the America bashing. I put my one and only life on the line for this country more than once and it really breaks my heart the way some people bash it.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
                          David Swartzendruber commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm wondering how you came to the decision to swap the fuel valve and gascolator around? Normally in a Bearhawk, the gascolator is behind the fuel valve so that with the tail down, the gascolator is still the lowest point in the fuel system.
                          Last edited by David Swartzendruber; 07-05-2022, 06:53 PM. Reason: Edit: Changed "Normally" to "Normally in a Bearhawk".

• Hi Dave,
                        Thanks for bringing that up, I will defiantly consult the AC-43-13 on that. I really didn't think too much about it. Another thing too Dave, Ill be using flexible steel braided hose through out so it will be easy to change the configuration. No hard pipe to bend.
                        Last edited by davzLSA; 07-05-2022, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have some progress to report. Recently I have taken a volunteer job with a company that restores Cubs and carbon cubs, they are also the producers of the new Patriot and Recruit aircraft. Since im retired and am always looking for a learning opportunity I put in 3 days a week. Not only is it a great learning opportunity I get to be around a bunch of guys who love airplanes as much as I do. Not only that it has lit a fire under my ass to get my LSA done. So here are my latest accomplishments. I am for sure done with my boot cowl now except for painting. I tried the slit in the top cowl skin to the tubes but was not able to make that work out to my satisfaction. So I did what I saw one of you guys doing. I just cut a panel out around the tubes and made a cover plate that is screwed on. Another thing I did was spurred on by a question one of you guys asked here. Am aileron stop with out having to do any welding. I made a bracket that slips on the bolts that hold the shock struts in. I have pix of it and the cowl. I also turned my fuel valve and gascolator around as one of you guys recommended. I hope my progress helps some one else with some ideas.

Comment

• Frank
                            Frank commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey Dave, nifty solutions! Great photos will be useful to others! Thanks for keeping the LSA spirit alive!
                        Working...
                        X