Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys,its been awhile since I have made a progress report. I have been busy working on the engine compartment. My plan is to get the engine cowl installed and the induction system working. I plan to get the engine running and all the support systems for it assembled, Once I get the engine cowl and the engine running I plan to take it all apart and cover everything. Here are some pix of the engine compartment so far. There is still lots of work to do, Im about as far as I can go until I get my baffle kit. It a special kit made just for the William Wynn nose bowl and the corvair engine. Got a ton of pix, I hope you all like them.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 14 photos.

Comment

• Frank
      Frank commented
      Editing a comment
      Way to go Dave. I watched William Wynn presentation video from the Pietenpol fly in. The guy has a lot of experience and good ideas. You could do worse than to follow his lead.

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Very impressive Dave, nice work! Should be a great engine for the LSA.

• Hey guys, I have more progress to report. I finally finally have all the engine control in their final form and dialed in. I even have the cabin heat box dialed in as well. I am waiting on my engine baffles from Jim Weseman in Florida. He makes a beautiful set of baffles and im looking forward to getting them. My goal is to have the engine running by the end of the month. The only control I dont have finalized yet is the trim control. I decided to change from the wheel I had to a simple lever, its also lighter. I know its taking me forever but that's what happens when you have to engineer as you go along. Im sure in the kits most of this stuff is already figured out and designed. I have pix of all the engine controls and will have pics of the trim controls when I get it in and working. Hope you like the pics.
    This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

• Frank
      Frank commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool stuff, Dave! Lots of finagling I expect. Really hoping you can post video and sound of the startup.

• Thats my plan Frank.

Comment

• Hey Guys, here is davzLSA panel 2,.0. I need to label the switches and add a usb port. I rearranged some of the instruments and I think it leaned up pretty good. I am currently working on an avionics tray. Ill have pix when I get it installed. I think it is unique.I have not seen one like this one will be. I have a set of engine baffles on the way so when I get them I plan to get the electrical system installed and fire up the engine. I plan to make a video of it and post it here. Lots of good stuff to come.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Hey guys, I have some more progress to report. As seen above I have my instrument panel put together, I have also fabed my avionics tray and have attached some boxes and fuse blocks. I have the baffle kit finally and have assembles it on the engine. I have painted the baffles. I still need to wire everything but im waiting on some other supplies to make a good wiring harness.
        This gallery has 14 photos.
        Last edited by davzLSA; 10-30-2022, 08:25 PM. Reason: had to edit out cat pictures

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
          David Swartzendruber commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks like you are making some good progress Dave. I'd like to point out something on your fuel line routing. You have brought the rear fuel line down the B pillar all the way to the floor before going forward. Keep in mind that the goal is for the fuel line to be continuously going down all the way to the fuel valve so that the gascolator is the lowest point in the fuel system. Your routing would probably meet this goal with the aircraft level, but with the tail down on the ground, the fuel line will be going uphill as it goes forward along the bottom longeron. Take a look at page 58 in the Bob's LSA book that came with the plans. He shows the fuel line turning forward, but continuing down as soon as it gets below the door. This provides enough of a downhill angle that it is still downhill even if the tail is on the ground.

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your avionics tray setup - great idea. If I was building again I would add a couple of dozen tabs in strategic places over the airframe. I always needed tabs that weren't there. They're easy to cut off, but harder to add after the fact!

• So here are pics of the engine baffles
        This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good Dave !

• PropMan
          PropMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave, looks great!

• Hi Dave, I have spoke to Bob about the way I have my fuel lines routed. Both lines go down to the floor before turning forward. He said as long as they route down the A and B pillar to the floor and T-off where I have them at the fuel valve then into the gascolator that it is safer. My lines actual t-off near the fuel valve. I wanted to have the T-off at the tank and just have one line going down the B pillar. Bob said he has tested this configuration and said it was not safe. So im going to do what Bob recommended. Thanks for your comments. Please keep them coming.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
          Editing a comment
          My comments were attempting to point you back to the fuel line routing that Bob provides with the plans. I'm a little bit surprised that he has approved your deviation, but I'm glad you are communicating with him and following his guidance.

• Hi Dave, I reviewed the build manual like you suggested and now understand what you were talking about. I changed the routing to conform with the manual. It makes for shorter fuel lines and that route solves other interference problems I was running into. This is the reason I am posting all my progress so some one can point out anything stupid I might do so I can fix it. But Bob did say going straight down to the floor before going forward would work, but is causes too many other problems to be practical. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
          Editing a comment
          No problem. Next year when I have progress to post, you can do the same for me. My QB kit delivers at the end of the year.

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for being brave and letting us learn with you!

• davzLSA
          davzLSA commented
          Editing a comment
          Nev I am envious of your plane and your craftsmanship!!!

• I look forward to your posts Dave. Jared I kind of think of my project as this forums project too. I am always open to advise.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I got the top of my engine done. Got a pic.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have an update, lately I've been working on a new set of seats. I didn't like the first ones I built so I build two more. Presently they are at the upholsterers. I will have more pic when they come back for there. So here are the pics. I built the pilot seat so that the back can lay down to make it easier to get to the back seat. They back seat bolts into the frame in the back. The frame is per the plans, I just made a real seat that attaches to it. When I get the seats back I'll have pics.

Comment

• Just wanted to wish eveone a happy 119th anniversary for the Wright brothers first powered flight at Kittyhawk!!

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have progress to report. I got my seats back today from the upholster, they are beautiful and very comfortable. I hope to spend long hours in them enjoying the view from 5000 feet. I also bolted my prop up for the first time. I just wanted to see what it looked like on the plane. It still needs to be pitched though. So it not the permanent install yet. I got pix so enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by davzLSA View Post
                  Hey Guys, I have progress to report. I got my seats back today from the upholster, they are beautiful and very comfortable. I hope to spend long hours in them enjoying the view from 5000 feet. I also bolted my prop up for the first time. I just wanted to see what it looked like on the plane. It still needs to be pitched though. So it not the permanent install yet. I got pix so enjoy.
                  Uh, no. You can't be building an airplane in that shop. It's WAY too clean!!!

Carry on!

Bill

Comment

• davzLSA
                    davzLSA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Bill, I build half the time and clean the other half. I cant work in clutter. I got it from my Mom. She was the same way.

• They look great Dave!!

Comment

Working...
                  X