Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Bearhawk Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Bearhawk Trek

Hi All,
    Attached a couple pics of the TREK build. Wings are built and fuselage is in the rotisserie. For those of you that are unaware of it, it's the Canadian version of the LSA. It has a gross weight of 1232 and can be flown by any one with an ultralight pilots license. To clarify, it is the LSA, but in Canada, any aircraft built "light enough" , with a gross weight of 1232lbs complies. Were working with ULPower on a complete firewall forward package that will be offered to Bearhawk customers. It will include the130HP UL350IS engine, Whirlwind 3 blade prop, new motor mount, spinner and nose bowl. The UL350IS is 130hp and ends up 35lb lighter than the 100hp O-200. Other benefits of the UL is the single lever full FADEC and fuel injection. Will keep you all posted on the progress.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by Isilverone; 09-17-2019, 04:34 PM.

A friend has the same engine in the Zenith 750 he completed a year ago. After flying with him I figured that would be a great engine for the LSA and what I would use if building one. The fact that you are doing a firewall forward package makes it a very attractive option. I know a couple other pilots using the engine and they are all very happy with them.

Comment

This is going to be awesome. Your post here made me actually look in to that ul350 engine. I had thought it was geared for some reason. It is definitely direct drive.

Keep the pictures coming.

Comment

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably because they make their power at rather high rpm. 3300-3500 for the rated power. You'd be limited to a 62-66 inch prop. Maybe 4 or 5 blades to get power to the air with such short blades.
        They kind of need a gearbox.

It looks like you have put some thought into your rotisserie. Nice.
      How are you going to run your fuel system? Does the UL engine have fuel rails like cars have, or used to have? Or a fuel manifold, like SDS uses. I have heard of the engines, but don't know much about them. I think they are fairly standard multi-point EFI.
      Last edited by svyolo; 09-20-2019, 11:52 PM.

Comment

What diameter is the prop you have lined up?

What is the benefit of ultralight vs amateur built in Canada? Is it the medical mostly or am i missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Isilverone View Post
          Hi All,
          Attached a couple pics of the TREK build. Wings are built and fuselage is in the rotisserie. For those of you that are unaware of it, it's the Canadian version of the LSA. It has a gross weight of 1232 and can be flown by any one with an ultralight pilots license. To clarify, it is the LSA, but in Canada, any aircraft built "light enough" , with a gross weight of 1232lbs complies. Were working with ULPower on a complete firewall forward package that will be offered to Bearhawk customers. It will include the130HP UL350IS engine, Whirlwind 3 blade prop, new motor mount, spinner and nose bowl. The UL350IS is 130hp and ends up 35lb lighter than the 100hp O-200. Other benefits of the UL is the single lever full FADEC and fuel injection. Will keep you all posted on the progress.
          Any update on the progress of FWF package for the UL350IS?

Comment

Following the progress of the UL FWF package

Comment

I too am interested in the UL FWF, but it seems like the progress has been scant.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                The project has sat for a while but I have been told someone is working on it now. Mark

Resized_20230913_165526.jpg Resized_20230916_145223.jpg IMG_3717.jpg
              Hello All,
              Here we are 3 1/2 years later. I moved across the country, sold my business and having been without a facility. Ive had various builders assist with things while I built my new facility so were at the point now where I can move it home to finish wings and get this done. Anyway, enough excuses.UL350IS, sensinech prop. I added boot cowl windows, Ski attach fittings in upper boot cowl and a 2 gal header tank behind the baggage.Engine runs great and will post later on progress. here is some pictures
              Attached Files

Comment

Hoping this video works. Start up of the UL350IS IMG_7821.mov

Comment

Zero gallons per hour! Outstanding!

Even if you don't achieve full RPM, you'll still be up on power and down on weight compared with the O-200.

Comment

Working...
                  X