Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings are started, working on the right one first. Learning curve on this one so hope the left one is faster. Spent a little time laying out the panel. Got some heavy metal to make life easier too!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PropMan; 12-12-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Round gauges?? Say it isn't so, that's so 20 th. century! The only round thing in my S-7S's panel since a re-do a few years ago, is the hour meter. I use this thingie for my primary flight instruments. https://grtavionics.com/product/mini-x-efis/ I found that one huge advantage was when I pull the GRT unit, the hole is big enough to stick my hand in behind the panel, and those bigger displays would be even better. This is one thing about these newer displays that i never have heard mentioned, they are more user friendly in that regard!

One thing about no flaps I could get to like:no leakage/drag while flying, just a big smooth airfoil. Are those rivet buckers in the third pic?

Comment

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Been there, had a Dynon Skyview in my S7. All is good until the elections stop flowing.
        Going with an iFly in the center, Trig radio an transponder. One of the round 3.25 holes is for Electronics International CGR30 engine monitor. Yes, gonna cut and make an access hole where the tablet mounts

• JimParker256
        JimParker256 commented
        Editing a comment
        My best friend's CH-750 has a Dynon Skyview (old version). He kept the wiring long enough that he can remove it an lay it on the panel shroud / boot cowl. It gives him all the access to the back of the panel that he needs. I'm planning a GRT Sport EX (7") for my panel.

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Cguy, yes Tungsten bucking bars

Build it like YOU want it. You can maintain and access behind your panel and have round dials. Here is what i have so far.
      The dark gages are a Garmin G5 & Electronics International CGR30P.

(I am a bit critical of my electrical panel. I can change some things around to save space and use fewer switches. It was interesting building it then picking it up and thinking about loosing a bit of weight by having, for example, the NAV and Strobe lights on single three position switch. But, am I going to ever finish this thing? As Mark Goldberg says "Perfectionism is the enemy of completion."

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.40.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.42.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.30.20 PM.png
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 12-13-2020, 11:48 AM.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Brooks, Looks like you are using the Trig radios, TY91 TT22? What are you doing for ADSB?

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment

I did the Trig TN-72 ADSB Transponder Bundle. It comes with the GPS and GPS antenna to enable ADSB OUT. I'm not sure what I will do yet for ADSB IN. At this time I'm thinking a Garmin 660 or iPad w/foreflight possibly.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 02-05-2021, 11:23 AM.

Not having seen an LSA kit or plans I'm wondering how the trailing edge is finished. I see holes in the top skin at the trailing edge. Are the skins rivited at the trailing edge instead of having a folded trailing edge like the aileron? I like your choice of the EI CGR 30 engine monitor. A friend put one in his super cub, it really cleaned up the panel and is very visible even in direct sunlight.

Comment

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the trailing edges are riveted. The EI CGR 30 seems to be a perfect fit for how I want the panel to work out. Has good reviews also

I love my Ifly GPS, kind of hard to beat the simplicity of just pointing at the screen and holding for a second or two, and then have it ask if you want to go there! Especially handy of course if you're not going to an established airport with a identifier etc. I have found them and GRT great companies to deal with, real people at the helm. I'll try and remember next time I see a round hole in a panel, it doesn't mean an old school steam gauge is going there! I am real interested in your progress, since you flew an S-7 earlier I am looking forward to your comparisons.

Comment

Looks like I'm going from 4 3.25" holes to 2, I just found the UAVIONIX AV-30-E PRIMARY FLIGHT DISPLAY , another round instrument, lol.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PropMan; 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Fitting Right wing fuel tank tonight, made the big hole for the filler cut 0-: Worked out (-:
          Waiting on anti chaff material, figure a couple more hours of work and the tank will be done!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PropMan; 12-14-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Been busy finalizing the sale of my business, so not a lot done on the LSA lately. Plus the Blizzard of 2021 here in Texas didn't help (-:

Made good progress the past few days tho, Decided it would be helpful(more efficient) to build stands for a rotisserie. This is the best decision I've made on the project as of yet. Plus i can adapt it for the fuselage. Ran the wire for Nav/Position/Strobe, installed the aileron pulleys and cable, then drilled the aileron to the wing, Hope to finish this wing by end of January and get the other done a few weeks later. Build On!!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

About 30 years ago I built what turned out to be a "universal" rotator. Various projects just need different attachments, but the two steel tripod stands adapt nicely. Some form of such a thing is a MUST in my book, the couple hours or less to cobble something up is more then compensated for down the road. These pictures highlight the simplicity of no flaps, something this flapped pilot is still struggling with, but it's sure hard to beat "simple and light."

Comment

Right wing near complete, a couple more hours. Pulling this plastic was almost 3 hours, dang, glad that's done (-;
                Attached Files

Comment

rodsmith , Yes the plans for the LSA trailing edge are as previously stated, however I did not have access to a large brake so I used the trailing edge material as you mentioned. Stinger 1980-01-01 LSA Stuff Oct 2017 025.JPG

Comment

Those ailerons look huge in chord, what do they measure? Just eyeballing them to my RANS.....I really like the way Bob designs his control surfaces, BIG.

Comment

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When you see the Patrol wing in person, the whole thing looks HUGE compared to the wings on my RANS. Similar wing loading, but carrying 1.5X the gross weight... Everything is massive compared to the S-6.

Originally posted by Cguy View Post
                    Those ailerons look huge in chord, what do they measure? Just eyeballing them to my RANS.....I really like the way Bob designs his control surfaces, BIG.
                    Cguy- 16.5" x 68.75 is what the aileron measures. I don't recall what the S7 is but keep in mind the LSA has a 33' wingspan, that's a bit over 3' more than the 7.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Square foot of wing area is a big factor in just about all areas of flight. Normally - the additional wingspan and wing area compared to a Rans would mean the Rans should be faster in cruise than a BH LSA. That would be a downside to Bob's design. But the opposite is true. It is due to Bob's design ability. Mark

WOW! My eyeballs were calibrated correctly, those are huge. Short of booting up and running through the snow drifts to the hangar, I'm going to guesstimate the chord on my 7 as 8-9 ". I think my elevator is closer in chord to those! I totally agree Mark, he pulls it off performance wise so why not go big. I remember being similarly stunned when eyeballing the first Bearhawk I saw, lots of control at very low speeds is what it all says to me.
                    A DAY LATER EDIT: The 7's ailerons are 7 to 9", tapered, and 66" long.
                    Last edited by Cguy; 02-07-2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Bob's designs are pretty amazing. The Bearhawk LSA wingspan is almost 4 ft longer (34 ft versus 29.25 ft for the RANS S-7), and has a LOT more wing area (170 ft2 versus 147 ft2 for the RANS). And given they share the same gross weight (1320 lbs), the wing loading for the BH LSA is 14% lower (~7.7 lbs / ft2, versus ~8.8 lbs / ft2 for the S-7).

Given all that, you're think the BH LSA would be much more of a "kite" in turbulence, and be much more "draggy" than the S-7, but that's not the case, at all. The BH LSA's top speed is actually 10 mph faster (140 vs 130), and the cruise speeds are likewise at least as good, if not faster (110-125 mph vs 105-110 mph for the S-7). All that is a testament to Bob's design skills – especially when it came to the all-critical airfoil selection process, and the attention he paid to reducing fuselage, gear, and wing strut drag... The takeoff and landing performance is close enough between the two designs that the pilot probably makes more difference than the airplane itself...

One other huge difference: The BH LSA is designed and rated for 1500 lbs max gross (though often certificated at 1320 to meet the LSA specs). The S-7 is maxed out at 1320, and Randy Schlitter would NOT be happy if you arbitrarily raised the max gross above that limit. Thus the BH LSA has a LOT of "reserve" strength if flown as an LSA, or could be licensed at the higher gross weight if you don't need to meet the Light Sport rules.

All in all, the BH LSA is one heck of an airplane!
                      Jim Parker
                      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• stinger
                        stinger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jim, let me touch on some of your observations . Regarding the Kite effect, for good or bad I went flying in a 25mph ground wind and 45 at 3000ft my air speed showed 132 down wind and 62mph into the brisk flow . The LSA handled very well as I had full control. My only thoughts were returning to my runway 36 with the 25mph blowing from the west but it was none eventful ducking under our tree line and grass strip.. Stinger

• JimParker256
                        JimParker256 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Stinger, I hope I didn't come across as saying the LSA was "kite-like" - I was intending the exact opposite. With what I know now, I'd pick the LSA as my personal "favorite" in the BH line, with the Patrol coming in a close second - almost a dead heat... But I'm cheap, so the 100HP fuel flow would sway my decision.
                        My RANS S-6 Coyote is a nice airplane, but compared to the BH LSA - well there's really no comparison... The little Coyote is nowhere near as robust of an airplane. But it IS inexpensive! LOL

• stinger
                        stinger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No I was just agreeing with you Jim, all is good ! Stinger
                    Working...
                    X