Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle control cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle control cable

Hi, this is my first time writting here, we are building a Patrol from scratch with my dad. We live in Spain (sorry my english is not perfect). We are at the stage of welding little plates arround the cabin for the windows, doors, panel, etc. At this moment, we are desinging a simple thottle quadrant similar to this one from Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lequadrant.php and we have been advised to use ACS tipe push pull control cables. The problem is that we do not know how this cable endings work exactly and we would like to by a cable now so we can design the throttle quadrant. Can any one tell us the length that this cable should have? We are building a Patrol with a lycoming 360. Thank you.

Throttle Cable-S.jpg

Orlin I can't give you the exact cable length since I haven't done my engine install yet. But here is the ACS cable end you probably want on your throttle quadrant. The other end would be a 10-32 stud that gets connected to the throttle. The cable retainer you see pictured from ACS is also very nice and allows for a modular installation with quick removal if necessary. I am doing a carbed engine so my throttle quadrant has both throttle and carb heat levers. I made my own quadrant and by keeping it narrow I was able to put it entirely in the sidewall of the Patrol.

Comment

• JimParker256
      JimParker256 commented
      Editing a comment
      That quadrant looks very nice!

• N942VT
      N942VT commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done

Another option is to use the Van's style cable that has a threaded mount section instead of the notch shown above on the ACS cable. https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...uct=ctq-cables
    The advantage I've found is that you can then use the Van's Throttle/Mixture Bracket on the engine side which accepts the threaded cable. https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...rottle-bracket
    Makes for a clean install. Your cable should be 60 - 66 inches

Comment

Try these. I usually purchase a "longer than I need" wire end vernier control and use one of these on the end once it is properly routed and secured. Cut the conduit and wire to fit. AS&S #05-16001

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        That is actually my favorite cable terminal, but I didn't know they existed in the aviation world. As strong as swages, but you can make them at home. I didn't see any for 1/8" cable. They were very common in the sailing market.

Used for solid wire. Most use size .078 wire controls for the engine.

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        The ones I was thinking of were for 1X19. You inserted a cone into the center, and the threaded nut compressed the whole fitting together.

I've never used one of these. I believe the solid wire is inserted into the Bullet end, then a rotation of the Bullet end results in clamping force onto the solid wire end. If so, I'd like to see these manufactured with a Jam Nut so lock the clamping force onto the wire.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Brooks, the way they go together and pinch the wire, they should never back off unless you have a habit of slamming the throttle arm against the stop. Even then I doubt it would loosen. As the clamping takes place there is quite a bit of resistance/tension on the barrel before it’s tight.

Comment

Vans catalog also has some terminals in sizes I couldn't find in ACS. A combination of thread size and hole diameter. If found them by accident in Vans. FWF section I believe.

Comment

Engine with carburetor will use 48” cable assembly. Get a unit that has male threads in on both ends ,and use female fork ends with Clevis pins to hinge at both ends

Comment

Hi Orlin, welcome to the forum. I am currently in the middle of getting my home made throttle quadrant connected to my ma-2spa carb. I am using this cable form ACS https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a920.php . It has 10/32 male threads on each end and extends 3 1/8 inches. I am using a fork connection on the quadrant end and a female rod end bearing on the other end to connect to the throttle arm on the carb. As for the length depending on how it is routed that is something you would have to determine for the patrol. I am building an LSA so its probably going to be a different length. the female rod end bearing is a heim he-3m. I hope this helps. I have many pics of the throttle quadrant I made in my thread on the forum. davzLSA
              Last edited by davzLSA; 03-27-2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

What's the standard way of doing the throttle control on a Patrol? Struggling to find any good info on this. I have the standard single throttle lever on the side with mixture and prop in the panel.

The main Q I have right now is how to mount the throttle push/pull control on the pilot side and what parts to order. I don't have taps on the airframe. Anybody done that without welding more tabs like spinningwrench ? Some mount bracket with Adele clamps? Some extension off the former?​

For mixture and prop I can just order custom lengths ACS controls. What type are people getting? What length?
                ACS Custom Throttle / Mixture / Prop Controls The ACS line of controls was manufactured by Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Company from 1980 to 1985. As of June, 1985 the controls have been manufactured by ACS Products Company in Lake Havasu

On the engine side I was thinking of using the Vans brackets:

Still not clear about all the options. For example ACS has special Vans versions of the A1760 cable with a shorter stroke. Why?
                A-1760 Vans RVCustom Control Cable Specify knob color (black, blue, red), overall length of control (from under panel nut to end of control) and stroke (2-1/4-Inch, 2-1/2-Inch).

What's the difference between notched control cables and bulkhead? Why use one over the other?

I hope I did not reach the quota on questions/post with this one

EDIT:

I have revisited this topic and know a bit more.
                - the VA-149-360-PC KIT does not work on the Patrol. It inflicts a too narrow bend radius on the mixture control cable (should be no less then 5-6"). I just will try something based on Van's VA-174-PC next.

I ordered different control cables:
                - throttle: A-920, Push-Pull (10-32), 64", bulkhead option
                - prop: A-1760, Vernier (10-32), blue, 48"
                - mixture: A-1760, Vernier (10-32), red, 48"
                - carb heat: A-700 - button lock, black, 72" (length-adjustable)
                - cabin heat: A-700 - button lock, black, 72" (length-adjustable)

These cables mount all bulkhead-style except the A-920 on the control side. There it needs needs special mount brackets.​
                Last edited by noema; 07-04-2023, 05:07 AM.
                Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Brooks has designed a mount using Adele clamps. My approach was to get maximum clearance to the flap handle as that is problematic for everyone. Mine mounts in the interior space between fabric and cockpit sidewall.

Comment

Neoma,

My time is limited, so I'll keep it short. Here are links to three threads that discuss this issue. You can do this also be attaching angle aluminum to the fuselage tubings using Cushion loop clamps (Adel Clamps). I am not good at design. If I could do it over, I would consider that. I spent a lot of time regarding this issue. Hopefully you can inspire an industry bests practice for the Bearhawk community that does not involve welding. Enjoy the reading.

For those who are building a kit, I understand Mark has developed a factory solution after I received my Kit. They keep improving, don't they.

https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...rant-placement
                    https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/too...ottle-quadrant
                    https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...ottle-quadrant
                    Last edited by Bcone1381; 10-03-2022, 09:13 AM. Reason: Auto correct made me look like a fool, and I added a sentence or two.
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
                    X