Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N61XB First Flight this am!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk 4-Place N61XB First Flight this am!!!

Well I'm slow but I did finish!!!

wing delivery.jpg
    This is the delivery of my wing kit from Mark on 10-16-2010.

Here is a picture after my first flight this am.

First Flight.jpg

Let's just say a LOT of life happened in between those pictures!!! Flight went better than expected. Pilot will have to work hard to fly to the planes potential. Only squawks are alarm setpoints too low to not be nuisance alarms. CHT's ran high as expected during break-in but controllable. Too soon to make adjustments yet but the unexpected high CHT was on Cylinder #1. If that holds, that is an easy trim of a removeable front blocking plate.

Configured for a center CG. Had to put 132 lbs of water jugs in the back with 36 gallons of fuel onboard.

Opening the cowling now to inspect for surprises. Haven't had time to analyze data and spit out some performance numbers. Airspeed hasn't been verified yet. Stall was at 36 knots IAS with just two notches of flaps. Approach was 50 knots and it was like it was on rails!!

My peeps (good friends) are working on piecing together a video. I don't have time for that, I gotta prep for next flight. I'll update if that becomes available.

To those still working on your project, keep at it, it is over the top worth it.

Thanks to Mark G, Eric, Russ and all those other folks on the list for the help along the way. Stole a lot of good ideas from you guys and gals (ms Donna).
    Last edited by John Bickham; 09-21-2020, 12:57 PM.
    Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Congratulations!

Comment

That's awesome--congrats!

Comment

That first flight is quite an experience, isn't it ? I haven't gotten there on my Bearhawk yet, but I did experience it on my RV-8 many years ago.

Congratulations! Your face is going to ache for a few days from that grin.

-------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Congratulation John. Glad the first flight went well. You should be proud of your accomplishment. Mark

Comment

Woohoo!!! Congratulations!
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Great job...congrats!

Comment

Sweet-looking airplane! Congratulations on living out your dream. That is going to be a TON of fun to fly!
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Congratulations! Your success is an inspiration to those of us who are still in the process.

Comment

I'm not too good at the computer stuff!! Even those EFIS's kick my butt!! Not sure if these links will work to videos of takeoff and landings?

https://vimeo.com/460291810

Thanks too much,
                    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
                    BH Plans #1117
                    Avipro wings/Scratch
                    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

Nicely done Skipper. What a feeling that has to be! The video worked great from my iPad. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice work!!
                        Nev Bailey
                        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                        YouTube - Build and flying channel
                        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Beautiful! Congratulations!! Now the fun begins. 😊

Comment

Congratulations John you built a beautiful airplane!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bickham View Post
                              I'm not too good at the computer stuff!! Even those EFIS's kick my butt!! Not sure if these links will work to videos of takeoff and landings?

https://vimeo.com/460291810

Both links point to the landing video. Copying the text of the first link shows the takeoff.

...or use this link:
                              This is "Lumix 21 Sep 2020 Sandy & John Bickhams Bearhawk First Take-off E98 RW 36 (25).MTS" by Mike Marker on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos…

Comment

Working...
                              X