Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No. 2 Swage-it tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. 2 Swage-it tool

I bought this from ACS years ago and am just now getting around to using it. I immediately noticed the holes were slightly misaligned so that when you insert a nicopress sleeve it's not quite straight. Thus when it's clamped, the end result is a bit crooked.
    Then if I loosen the tool, rotate the sleeve a bit, and clamp it again, it comes out looking fairly normal and passes the go-no-go test.

While I'm not particularly excited about the misalignment, is it the look and measurement of the end result that matters most or should I scrap this thing and buy a (gulp) expensive one?
    IMG_20200118_054518957.jpgIMG_20200118_054310067.jpgIMG_20200118_054737783.jpg
    Last edited by nichzimmerman; 01-18-2020, 06:20 AM.

What about drilling out threads in bottom plate and open holes a little to get aligned. Then use longer bolts and nuts. You could even weld nuts on bottom of bottom block. Could also maybe drill a 1/8” hole with a alignment pin so easier to keep lined up while tightening up.

Comment

While at times in the past I've had some ACS frustrations, in recent years there have been instances where they go well above and beyond. I'd contact them to give it a shot anyway, hopefully we'll here back a great report. I'd personally not be satisfied with the two step work around you mentioned due to work hardening and the critical nature of most of those connections.

Comment

You might also consider contacting the manufacturer directly. I use that same tool, and mine has proper alignment. The manufacturer has huge incentive to protect there name I'm sure hey know that a production run of tools went out the door that did not meet there own standards.

Network Solutions - Original domain name registration and reservation services with variety of internet-related business offerings. Quick, dependable and reliable.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by nichzimmerman View Post
          I bought this from ACS years ago and am just now getting around to using it. I immediately noticed the holes were slightly misaligned so that when you insert a nicopress sleeve it's not quite straight. Thus when it's clamped, the end result is a bit crooked.
          Then if I loosen the tool, rotate the sleeve a bit, and clamp it again, it comes out looking fairly normal and passes the go-no-go test.

While I'm not particularly excited about the misalignment, is it the look and measurement of the end result that matters most or should I scrap this thing and buy a (gulp) expensive one?
          IMG_20200118_054518957.jpgIMG_20200118_054310067.jpgIMG_20200118_054737783.jpg
          Is that 3rd one considered finished?

Comment

• nichzimmerman
            nichzimmerman commented
            Editing a comment
            The third one was clamped once. After the photo I rotated it in the tool and clamped it again and it looks normal now.

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree - that does not look anywhere near tight enough, but I am used to seeing the control cable rather than the small stuff.

It is quite obviously a manufacturing defect. I don't think ACS or the manufacturer could dispute that. Nicopress sleeves need to be done really well to be achieve full strength.

Comment

Update: I sent the manufacturer the pictures above and they immediately mailed a replacement tool and asked that I return the original on their dime for analysis. Great service.

-Nic

Comment

Good to hear they are taking care of you. I have the same tool but mine is aligned properly and works well.
              Rollie VanDorn
              Findlay, OH
              Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Working...
              X