Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap arms

Can someone clarify what angle to bolt the flap arms to the torque tube in relation to the inboard flap arm that is welded to the inboard end?

Have the outer arms, etc assembled and at rest against the rubber rest, preferably with flap return springs installed. Then reference sheet 14 for position of inner arm.

Comment

That is one job best left until the final assembly.

I did mine when the whole plane was practically complete in the hanger, and I am glad I waited. There is VERY little room for error in the wing root. The location of those arms along the length of the torque tube and the angles at both ends, it all needs to be exactly right to get maximum flap travel.

Comment

Can any of you post a picture showing the angle of your Flap arm at rest in the wing root? I've heard/seen different comments about some people now being able to get into the last notch of flaps, and others can do it. I'm thinking that angle may be the difference. If any of you can take a picture please looking straight at the inboard Flap actuating lever angle and respond as to whether you can get into the last notch (relatively) easily, I think that would be good info.
        Also, has anyone tried allowing the flaps (and even elevators) to retract a little past standard? I've read the flaps can give you extra speed and the ailerons can provide a quicker roll response. I'm NOT, the type to want to reinvent the wheel and make things more difficult than they need to be, and won't be trying this myself,....but I wonder if any of you've tried it? I'd think if it was a really good idea it would be common...... Thanks,
        Brad

Comment

The reflexed flap thing (-7 degrees) works on my Maule to give me 2-4 mph extra in cruise. But I thought I'd read from past reports that it doesn't do much for the Bearhawk. I do wonder, since the Bearhawk flaps are pulled down by cable, but go up under spring pressure, if they'd level out (pushed back down) with in-flight air movement anyway, negating the reflex that would be there while not in motion? Perhaps that's why it's ineffective?

My Maule's flaps are cable/gear driven in both the up/down direction, which allows me to push the flaps up. But the Bearhawk is only "forced" in one direction. A shot of the drawing below.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 01-31-2018, 01:45 PM.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Brad Ripp
            Brad Ripp commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris,
            I never thought of the spring issue. Makes sense!

If you look at the drawing that shows the inboard flap torque tube arm - you will see the angle Bob wants. I measured mine off the lower wing skin. Mark

Comment

• Brad Ripp
            Brad Ripp commented
            Editing a comment
            Mark,
            Thanks, I did look at the drawings. From some of the pictures I've come across there seems to be a variance on where people "interpret" the angle to be. I just wonder where it is for the people that say they have no problems getting into full flaps and the people that say they can not.

Wondering if someone has a photo they can post of the wing root area, showing the flap arm. I’m trying to gauge how close it is to the fuselage airframe, and whether I have enough room there for some headset jacks etc.

Also trying to estimate where to locate the sight gauge fittings, making sure that the results of both these don’t conflict with flap arms, aileron cables etc. I’m thinking to make the lower sight gauge fitting as close to the door frame tube as possible, and the upper fitting as close to the skylight as possible.
          What I’m unsure about is where to locate the sight gauge fittings fore/aft. Is this critical or can the tubing easily be adapted once the wings are on ?
          Thanks.
          Last edited by Nev; 05-01-2021, 06:34 PM.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            I will measure mine tomorrow.The spar and fuselage attach points form a V, and the cable needs to run right in that V so that it doesn't rub. It is a tight fit. From the top of my head it is straight down from the wing attach bolts, but I will double check tomorrow.

The flap arm is pretty much halfway in between the two, and that's after it gets drilled on the torque arm. The arm pivots really close to the aft spar attach point so the cable has to travel as close to the center of the vee as possible. I used a swaged ball end and it barely clears. I tweaked the angle of the pulley a bit since these photos were taken. I personally wouldn't put anything back there. Forward of the flap arm in the full up position s no problem. You just have the fuel lines to contend with.

As far as the sight gauges go, I just went straight out of the tank and into the sight gauge, no detours. There isn't much space to play with. It's nowhere close to the flap arm or aileron cable. The tube ends coming from the tank are welded shut and a small orifice is drilled in the end of the top and bottom tube. This will greatly reduce the amount of fuel coming into the cockpit if the sight gauge tube is ever compromised. I waited until the wings were on to fit this.

Hope this helps
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
            Hope this helps
            Huge help - many thanks, just what I needed !
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
            X