Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elevator counterweight casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elevator counterweight casting

i tried my elevator counterweights as described by Eric Newton in his guides but did not like the results. So I melted them out and redid them by sandwiching the tip between 2 pieces of plywood and pouring them vertically. I am pleased with the end results.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Ditto here, except I used 3/16" plywood held in place with spring clamps. Worked like a charm.

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      I also used the same "vertical pour" approach.

Is 5" from the tips the "common solution" for how much lead to use? I have been having trouble trying to figure out how much lead to use - where do "draw the line", so to speak. I suppose it's easier to remove excess lead later on than to add more after it's covered... but didn't know where to start.
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Pour more lead than you think you need. Then when you do the actual balancing - remove the excess from the aft side of the lead piece. Mark

Also make sure you smooth it out because if you don't ANY imperfections will show up in the fabric and in the paint. And if your a perfectionist you'll end up cutting off the fabric and starting over because no matter how much filler primer you use, it won't correct it. Donna

Comment

Originally posted by JimParker256 View Post
      Is 5" from the tips the "common solution" for how much lead to use? I have been having trouble trying to figure out how much lead to use - where do "draw the line", so to speak. I suppose it's easier to remove excess lead later on than to add more after it's covered... but didn't know where to start.
      So, would 5" be "more than I need" or should I pour 6 (or 7, or 8, or...)? Seems easy to remove some as Mark says, but much harder to add... Just want to make sure I'll have enough in there!
      Jim Parker

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl1 View Post
        Also make sure you smooth it out because if you don't ANY imperfections will show up in the fabric and in the paint. And if your a perfectionist you'll end up cutting off the fabric and starting over because no matter how much filler primer you use, it won't correct it. Donna
        Good point. Maybe I'll spend a bit of time with the wooden "form" to make sure it's super-smooth, so the edges won't be rough. MDF would probably NOT be the best choice for the mold material - LOL.
        Jim Parker

Comment

Another, learn from my mistake, point--when you epoxy prime, wait the full 7 recommended days before you put your fabric on. Polytak makes a good epoxy primer stripper. D.

Comment

Good point. Maybe I'll spend a bit of time with the wooden "form" to make sure it's super-smooth, so the edges won't be rough. MDF would probably NOT be the best choice for the mold material - LOL.
            Why not? Are you afraid it'll combust from the glue?

Seems like tracing the opening shape on your mold sidewalls and routering around it so that it extends slightly into the cavity would help keep it below the effective surface.

Comment

Bill, it was not a problem adding some more lead. We just made sure we had something for it to hang onto like another tab or a screw. It doesn't take much lead to do what needs to be done and just as soon as I can get a photo of ours I will. D.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post

Why not? Are you afraid it'll combust from the glue?

Seems like tracing the opening shape on your mold sidewalls and routering around it so that it extends slightly into the cavity would help keep it below the effective surface.
                  No, I was just thinking that MDF has a pretty rough texture, which would mean the lead surface would be pretty rough as well. As Flygirl1 points out, that means more work when it comes time to cover. Your suggestion to "countersink" the form around the tubing could solve that as well, but I was thinking that a smoother surfaced wood would also address the issue.
                  Jim Parker

Comment

Any wood product is going to off-gas as it burns. I suspect that a pre-warmed steel or aluminum plate is going to be smoother. Russ Erb Erbman figured out a way to approximate the weight of the fabric by using a weight of a certain mass in a certain place, but I don't have the particulars handy.

Comment

No, I was just thinking that MDF has a pretty rough texture, which would mean the lead surface would be pretty rough as well. As Flygirl1 points out, that means more work when it comes time to cover. Your suggestion to "countersink" the form around the tubing could solve that as well, but I was thinking that a smoother surfaced wood would also address the issue.
                      I can think of no smoother processed wood product than MDF. Are you thinking of OSB? MDF is extremely smooth, much more so than plywood.

Comment

• JimParker256
                        JimParker256 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Doh! Yes, I was thinking OSB when I read MDF. Geesh. Guess I needed more coffee!

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

• JimParker256
                        JimParker256 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But that's balanced just a bit nose-heavy without the fabric. Is that the goal here? I thought they were to be balanced (as perfectly as possible) WITH the fabric...
                        Last edited by JimParker256; 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM.

• alaskabearhawk
                        alaskabearhawk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When cast I had the weight hung off the elevator at the position that Russ Erb calculated that simulates the entire weight of the elevator that needs to be compensated for, including fabric. When it's all done, it should be nose-heavy without the fabric. (see previous two log entries)

• JimParker256
                        JimParker256 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Got it! I should have looked back (didn't notice the "3 of 3"). Perfectly clear now. Thanks!

Nice one, Paul
                      Christopher Owens
                      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
                      X