Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel tramsmitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tramsmitter

Is there a general consensus as to the preferred make/model of fuel quantity transmitter kit to use? Jono, are you using sight gauges only, in conjunction with your fuel computer? Anybody with auxiliary tanks, is it advisable to have a transmitter for the outer tanks as well?

Hey Brad,
    Level Tx or Flow Tx?

I have a fuel flow transmitter, but didn't bother with electric gauges. Reading from the sights or dipping tanks is accurate enough, I can manually set the level after I fuel up. The flow gauge takes care of the rest.

Ps. a few NZ guys have noticed your kitlog, your name was mentioned in dispatches

Comment

Thanks Jono. Seems like flow tx would be sufficient then. I take it this is an inline installation, rather than fitting internals in the tanks? Much easier.

Comment

Yes, installed (in my case) after the fuel pump. But really, that's not ideal for a fuel injected engine.
        The best place is in the line from the fuel servo to the flow divider. That way there's very little restriction, and it reduces the chances of a problem in the servo going unseen.
        Don at Airflow Performance told me that.

Comment

Good advice. Thanks. Did you do electronic ignition, or still on mags?

Comment

I like mags myself, but I think it's horses for courses...
            For me, if I'm in the middle of nowhere are the EI cooks it's goose, nobody's going to know how to fix it. Mags are common as mud and parts are on-hand at most engineering shops.

Comment

I'm using the gold cube for fuel flow and dight gauges for quantity. I'll say that I was only just able to get the minimum fuel flow for the 360 using the gold cube, which is something to consider if you are planning on a gravity-only 540.

Comment

Initially my flow was on the low side too, I have the red cube myself. But extensive testing showed that it's not just the transducer's fault. This is a case of "death by many cuts". Removing any one component eased the problem significantly - components tested in my system include boost pump, transducer, filter, gascoalator, flexible hose, selector valve, etc).

Apparently the fix is having the flow transducer installed in the smaller diameter flexible line downstream from the fuel servo (fuel injected engines only).

NB. I notice that TCM mount their fuel transducers directly to the flow divider, but EI strongly recommends not doing that with their Gold / Red Cube line of products.

Comment

Digging up an old thread, but where did everyone put their transducer? Doesn't seem like a lot of good options. Plenty of bad ones with the carbd 540.
                  EI says not to put it on the engine side of the firewall. But with where our fuel selector and gascolator are(if they're where the plans more or less call for them), then to do that you'd have to 90 your fuel line back up inside the cockpit.

Comment

If fuel injected, Airflow Performance says the red cube goes between the servo and the spider.
                  Rob Caldwell
                  Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                  EAA Chapter 309
                  Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                  YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                  1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
                    If fuel injected, Airflow Performance says the red cube goes between the servo and the spider.
                    I need to talk to them and see why they want it there. As mentioned EI says not to put it forward of the firewall so there is conflicting advise.

Comment

Mine’s a Continental but I mounted my red cube between the servo and the spider.
                      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
                      X